“It's NOT "Touristy!"”

An Evening of Food, Folklore and Fairies
Ranked #1 of 71 Concerts & Shows in Dublin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience an enchanting evening of Irish folklore,storytelling and music while enjoying a candlelit traditional Irish dinner in Dublin's oldest Pub, The Brazen Head. Sit back , relax and let our renowned storytellers take you into a world of the imagination with wonderful insights and magical tales of Irish life in times past.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It's NOT "Touristy!"”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Okay, so this event mainly draws tourists . . . but it is not "touristy" in the tacky sense of the word. Helena Byrne, the storyteller/vocalist who anchors the evening, is tremendously talented. Her voice is absolutely transfixing, and you'll learn a lot about Celtic folklore, which is quite fascinating. Definitely recommended!

2 Thank ComposerAri

• Greek first
Jordan
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“An excellent evening!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We saw the reviews of this on TA and decided to sign up for one of our two nights in Dublin. We spent the first night in a bar called Murray's where there was a loud Irish band playing (which was great) but wanted something a bit less 'touristy' for our second night and this fitted the bill perfectly. You go upstairs at the Brazen Head (which claims to be Ireland's oldest pub and is a ramshackle higgledy-piggeldy old place with lots of nooks and crannies). You are seated at long tables and have a chance to chat to the other guests before Johnny introduces himself. Then between the three courses of dinner, he regales you with a little of Ireland's history, folklore and fairy tales. There is also a musical interlude where a couple of chaps entertain you with Wild Rover and Whisky in the Jar and try to get the audience to participate (with mixed success in our evening's case!). The food was fine, if a bit unexciting in the case of the vegetarian risotto, and the service was a little hit and miss if you wanted a drink outside of when the drinks waitress was taking drink orders, but to be honest the main event is the storytelling and the rest is just an excuse to be there! We came out feeling we had been thoroughly entertained and it was a great 'craic'. Highly recommended.

Wescosville, Pennsylvania
“Food, Folklore, and Fairies”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I recently visited Dublin for a mixed trip of business and pleasure. I spent a weekend alone in the city exploring museums and some historical sights. I stumbled on "An Evening of Food, Folklore, and Fairies" on the trip advisor and I'm glad I did. It was the highlight of my weekend. I could not believe 3 hours could fly by so fast! I'm 58 years old and listening to the stories I found myself engrossed like a child. The food was good but I barely noticed it.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has even a smattering of interest in Irish folklore. Fantastic! If I go back to Dublin i would do it again.

Visited October 2013
Falkirk, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Enchanting evening - must do!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My friend and I gave this a shot because of the wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor, and I can see why people love this evening!

Our host for the evening was absolutely wonderful and really brought the C.19 history of Ireland's poor to life. The evening was in three parts. First, about the food of the Irish at that time and why the potato was so important to them. Second, about the superstition and beliefs in a Fairy world. Third, about the storytelling culture of the people.

The meal that was served harked back to the era that was being described and was simple, hearty fare. Don't expect haute cuisine! The courses of the meal were consumed between the storytelling sessions allowing conversation to flow (along with regular bar service) throughout the night. We met some lovely people!

During the main course a musical duo performed some traditional Irish music with a healthy dose of humour which was great.

I can't recommend this night enough - just book early to avoid disappointment. The group is reasonably small and on two of the three nights we were in Dublin the evening was sold out, so we had to re-arrange our itinerary around this event and I am SO glad we did.

1 Thank Duncan S
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Really worthwhile evening”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

What a great evening. We were made very welcome,there was a roaring fire in the grate which kept us warm on a cold evening. The food and service was good, the stories were so entertaining and the music was fantastic. I recommend this highly - we all enjoyed it so much.