“Good portions and good value ”
Review of Cafe Carlo

Cafe Carlo
Ranked #969 of 2,735 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Just opposite the famous Dublin Spire on O'Connell Street in Dublin city center, Café Carlo - an ambient gem of an eatery specializing in a delicious fusion of Irish & international cuisine. The relaxed and intimate setting of Carlo's Restaurant, coupled with its high-quality, reasonably priced food and friendly, attentive staff has made this restaurant a huge favorite with Dublin diners. Not only is it a popular choice with visitors to Dublin City, it's also found a place in the hearts of the discerning locals, who return time and again to soak up the Carlo's atmosphere and enjoy some genuinely delicious food.
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I went to this restaurant for dinner with a friend. We had their early bird menu which was super great value. The portions were incredibly filling and we couldn't finish the mains. The steak was cooked perfectly and everything was as we would have liked it. The desserts were a good size. Just enough to finish off a lovely meal. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I got a GrabOne deal for this restuarant. The deal menu was short but nice. The food was better than expected for the price. The waitress was very friendly whihc makes such a difference. A nice spot of the North Side and handy for a pre-theatre mean at The Gate Theatre and budget alternative to 101 Talbot or Chapter One

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We were given a voucher for here for a christmas present, bought off of grabone.ie. It entitled us to 2 main courses and 2 drinks off the early bird menu between 430 and 730.
We had checked out the prices online and decided we wouldn't buy anything else as the prices were quite high.
I got a coke (which was off the tap and tasted like it needed changing) and my other half got a red wine. We were given the menu and we could choose from rack of beef, fish and chips, salmon, beef stroganoff. I chose salmon, my other half chose fish and chips. Whilst we were waiting we were brought 2 glasses of water to go with the meal. I took a gulp, not wanting to waste my coke and nearly spat it back out it was off the water tap and you could taste the fluoride. I also noticed the other tables who were paying full price for their meals were all given a fancy glass bottle of water from the fridge. Just because of a voucher that isn't really fair practice.
The table next to us got wine and also her glass was bigger than my boyfriends when the voucher stated beer, wine or soft drink. Again not well advertised that you would get a half size.
The table behind us had fish and chips and his fish came out and was plentiful and his fish was artistically sat on a fryer on the plate and loaded with chips and peas. My boyfriends came out , his fish was on the plate and his chips were in a small frying basket, (like the other tables fish) but with not many in it. He had a tiny ramekin of sauce and another tiny ramekin of peas, which held about two table spoons if even. His food was tasty but compared to the meal behind us? My salmon was beautiful but veg piled under the potato, to make it look more, even with veg around it and with a little sauce. Not a single bone in sight, but we agreed we would leave after wards as even the drinks were pricey at nearly 4.95..
We would not return because we got less because of the voucher, a voucher that they put themselves on grabone and didn't say it would be less than a full meal. the fact of the normal price and also the location.
We walked past it first time as it is pretty hard to see it. When we were leaving, the location leaves a lot to be desired. There were two local drug users standing in the doorway as we left. We live locally ourselves and when you are in the building you don't feel like you are in Dublin as there are no visible windows from the back. It is very enclosed as well which my boyfriend wasn't keen on. Polite service though.

2  Thank FrostyKat
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my meal but you can't really go wrong with a veggie pasta! My husbands steak was cold in the middle and also tiny defo not a 8oz and some of the chips hard and raw he didn't enjoy he's meal atall. Also a lady behind us was sending back her chicken wings when we were leaving as she found hairs wrapped around them :/
On hearing that I don't think we will be back!

1  Thank Summerfun75
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I found this restaurant by accident on O'Connell street in Dublin. We wanted to eat Italian and avoid the fast food restaurants which unfortunately abound the street. There was a good a la carte menu available and also an early bird option. My husband and I chose the early bird 2-course menu for €14.95 but paid an extra €5 for the fillet steak. We started with tasty breaded garlic mushrooms on a generous portion of salad. The steak was absolutely melt in the mouth, cooked to perfection with a choice of sauces or garlic butter. Our daughter had tagliatelle carbonara which she enjoyed very much. The house wine was very good quality and reasonable. The staff were friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will return.

1  Thank Carmel H