“Great stay, but not as 'boutique' as it looks”

Kelly's Hotel Dublin
Ranked #93 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at Kelly's Saturday and Sunday 14th and 15th December for my boyfriends surprise birthday trip.

I was worried about getting to the hotel as some reviews hadn't been great but I had already booked the rooms, so I took the risk.

We arrived, great location, easy to get to from air link bus from airport to temple bar area (10euro return), cute little entrance, lots of character, the carpet needed a clean so it was a mixed arrival. We entered the 1st floor where the reception is. Quite quirky, cool furniture, and beer bottle coffee table (as seen in pics on here and the website) the receptionist was helpful, took our bags whilst we pottered until our room was ready.

It takes about 5 minutes to walk to all the well known bars, grafton street is literally 2 minutes away and we walked from the hotel to the guiness storehouse, really nice walk on a Sunday morning through the garden of st. Patrick's cathedral. So 5 out of 5 for location.

The receptionist didn't take our bags upstairs which would have been a nice touch for the standard of hotel that it is trying to convey.

When we got to the room it was quite a good size, I'd booked an executive, well worth the extra money, you get a lot more for your money.

The room.
It was decorated white which was quite cool, but the hotel lacked little extras at every turn. The room was clean, the window ledges were mouldy due to the lack of ventilation and the old single glazed windows.

The blind was broken, one piece snapped off and when my boyfriend went to open the blind to see the view it went wonky, basically you couldn't open them which was annoying. On the first night, I went for a bath, my boyfriend the couldn't have a wash properly, all hot water had ran out. V ANNOYING. And not good considering the amount I was paying.

The bed was AMAZING!!!!! So so comfy! Perfect. The bathroom was bland in comparison to the room. The bath plug chain had broken.

The bedroom was cleaned the next day, was lovely- perfectly made bed for when we got back after a long day.

I asked the hotel via email if they could do something nice for in the room on arrival for my boyfriends birthday. They didn't- a nice touch would have been a couple of chocolates and a note saying happy birthday from Kelly's hotel!? This would have been lovely to come into instead of a broken blind and a mouldy window. TOP TIP FOR THE MANAGERS! :)

All in all- a nice stay, you could hear traffic and noise from the bar, but you're in dublin and that's what you do, you should be out in the bars anyway! We didn't have a problem with the noise and went to sleep fine.

Good value but needs a few extra touches. :)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WineDine99

Reviewed 17 December 2013

What a gem, it was like staying in s stylish mates pad in the heart of a very cool city, Décor superb such a heap of coolness best bed I have ever slept in lovely staff amazing location.

I the heart of Dublin perfect if you are planning a full on city break, we got in after two most nights so noise from bar finished by then, breakfast at the stunning French place was brilliant.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who likes top quality but also like a party not one for the faint hearted but so so worth it.

Penthouse next time me thinks

Room Tip: Due to the party nature of Dublin if you can afford to stay Sunday night as well to recover as the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I needed a city centre hotel at short notice for a Friday night & the usual places I stay were either booked out or too expensive. Kelly's was available however I would have had a negative image of it due to it being over The Hogan Stand pub, but thanks to the previous reviewers here I decided to give it a try. I was not disappointed, its absolutely great. It is a beautiful place and the attention to detail in every aspect of the design is wonderful. The staff were so helpful & friendly and the buffet breakfast was also lovely.
There is indeed considerable noise from downstairs but as we were out till late this didn't bother us. It is the perfect location for the whole Fade Street/ South William street night life and the Drury Street car park is just around the corner .... I will be back again & again

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11 which is at the back of the hotel & therefore possibly quieter than other r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BernieH001
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I recently traveled as a single woman to Ireland for 3 wks & I couldn't have picked a better place to stay! I LOVED Kelly's- I stayed here for 4 nights before departing for Co. Kerry where I spent the rest of my time. It was absolutely perfect. From the moment I arrived with my huge suitcase & faced the big staircase, wondering how I'd get up, the staff & other's staying there were helpful from the very start! It's in the perfect location, right in the center of all the cafe's & shops, & art galleries-Temple Bar is walking distance, Trinity College, I could go on & on. One of things I particularly loved about Kelly's was it didn't have your typical "hotel" feel which I cannot stand. It felt like I had an apartment in Dublin. Also, too, it doesn't have a flashy entrance, which I really appreciated, as you could just kind of duck in & out without really being noticed. On my first night I walked down the staircase to the sound of live music coming from the adjoining bar & I loved it- it felt so cozy & comfortable. The rooms are really simple & elegantly decorated with great art work, a tea kettle & amazing bottled water, which they replenished daily. The cleaning lady was so sweet- I had a "Do not disturb" sign the whole time, but each day I'd catch her & she always brought me a new supply of everything.The front desk staff- morning & night- were all so warm & accommodating. I cannot say better things about Kelly's. I was very sad to have to leave. Don't hesitate staying here for a moment, especially if you are traveling alone- you will not regret it. It honestly made my experience in Dublin absolutely perfect. I couldn't have picked a better spot & can't wait until I can return to Dublin & stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor, facing the main street. There was some noise from the street below, but I...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed at Kelly's for a night on our way home from a three-week holiday around the Balkans. It was the best bed we slept in the whole time we were away! Fantastic plump pillows, crisp white bed linen and a funky functional room. When booking, I'd asked for a quiet non-smoking room and I was contacted almost straight away by email, explaining that the hotel was located above a bar on a busy street but that they would do their best. We needn't have worried. We had been allocated a room at the back of the hotel on the third floor and hadn't any issue with noise. There were even packets of ear plugs left for us in the bedside locker, which I thought was a really nice touch, along with generous bottles of mineral water. The only downside was that the hotel doesn't have a lift and because we had a lot of heavy luggage with us it was tough to haul it up all those flights of stairs. Will know for again though and it definitely won't stop us coming back. The staff were really friendly and helpful; the location is perfect and I love the laid-back funky decor. Looking forward to a visit to the Candle Bar next time as well! Highly recommended and a great find.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and we given one on the third floor at the back of the hotel. It was great...
2  Thank Siobhan F
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights total while in Dublin. We flew in from California and our flight landed at 5:15 a.m. When we arrived at the hotel at 6 a.m. exhausted they were able to accommodate us at the last minute with a room for us to take a nap and shower. The room was their 'Executive' level so we paid an additional 30 Euros for it but it was well worth every penny to have them give us a room 8 hours before check-in began. When it was time for us to depart Ireland and head home, they arranged a taxi for us at a flat rate they have arranged with the taxi company (and 10 Euros less than what we paid for the cab from the airport to the hotel).

Yes, it is noisy above the bar with no name BUT they hotel provides earplugs and that bar is a very cool space to spend a nightcap before heading up to the room.

Room Tip: Didn't see much difference between the executive level room and the standard room. I wouldn'...
1  Thank ndenise18
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Kelly's is hidden above Hogans bar and adjoins the "Bar with no name". Our room was on the small side but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom perfectly adequate although larger persons will have considerable difficulty getting to the loo - there wasn't a lot of space. It was fine for a short stay. Rooms 1-6 are directly above the "Bar with no name". This is a lovely bar full of character and a great place to have a drink. However, it is open until 2.30am and did get very noisy. Kelly's provide earplugs and you need them! If you're out enjoying Dublin's nightlife then Kelly's is a great place. Temple Bar is a few minutes away and there are numerous bars and restaurants close by. However, if you need a good nights sleep - stay somewhere else.

1  Thank Dale R