“Very nice hotel if you're not a light sleeper” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Kelly's Hotel Dublin
Ranked #94 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Belgium
“Very nice hotel if you're not a light sleeper”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2011

I knew that noise would be a problem based on the other reviews, but hadn't thought it would be a problem since I was staying mid-week and not when people would be out hitting the bars late. But it was still noisy at night due to the traffic noise from the streets and the early delivery trucks! I really think they can solve the problem by providing better window insulation. The room had a huge comfy bed but no chair so one has to sit on the bed to do any work. The staff was really, really friendly and helpful. The breakfast next to Hogans (at l'Gueuleton) was good and the staff there also cheerful and friendly. I forgot my adaptor plug and they lent me one. I also noticed afterwards there are movie DVDs behind the reception that one could borrow. There's also a nice bar area to sit and relax although I don't know if they actually serve drinks there. The location is unbeatable and price great if you can grab a pay-in-advance rate on booking.com which is what I did. Another incentive for me to stay was the free wifi in the rooms (other hotels in the area only offer free wifi in public areas if at all). You can request a room facing the back rather than the street. I was offered one and regret now not to have taken that back room because I'm sure it's more quiet. Even though my nights weren't the most restful, I would come back because in general I really enjoyed the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

With Ireland playing France at Rugby, it proved difficult to find a reasonable priced room on this occasion. However, we stumbled on Kellys Hotel (more guest house) on George Street, first class location for Temple Bar and Grafton Street. Room was modern, spacious and has everything you need. Shame the shower was typical useless hotel dribble. There is an impressive bar on the reception floor which was for private use only during our stay.
There is a bar directly below Kellys, so there is noise, late noise, but you don't stay in the centre of Dublin and expect anything different, it was fine. Great location, reasonable rate and adequate breakfast at cafe around the corner. Still prefer the Morrison for a slightly higher rate.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed two nights at Kelly's. Things you should know. The room rate was cheap. It included free continental breakfast at L' Gueuleton. The room is so tiny the only thing that fits is the bed. The bathroom is tiny too and only has a shower. All of this was fine. The room is clean and the bedding is nice if you aren't allergic to feathers like I am. They didn't have any non feather blankets so I was thankful I had my throw with me. The hotel sits on top of a bar so there is bar noise until midnight. There is heavy street noise all night long. This didn't bother me so much but my fiancée didn't get any sleep.

In sum: clean, great location, small rooms, lots of street noise

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jollyangela2010

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Cavan, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

Not quite sure what I was expecting, but as I had booked a "executive double", I was expecting more than I got. We chose it because it was beside a restaurant we were meeting friends in, so probably did not do enough research.

On the positive side, the bed was very comfy and the bathroom was very clean.

On the much longer negative side, the rooms are too minimalistic for my liking; the "wardrobe" is 3 coat hooks on the wall with a few hangers on them, the table is literally an 8 x 4 sheet of plywood on 2 metal, the one bedside locker was plastic, the lighting in the room was very dim (even when dimmers were up full. The shower pressure was terrible and it kept going hot and cold. The noise from the street was dreadful; it sounded as if the window was actually open, we tried using towels to muffle the sound but didn't work! There were over 50 steps from street level to the bedroom, so you need to travel very light if staying there. The continental breakfast included in the L’Gueuleton restaurant was not good. The booth seat we sat on was filthy, and was cleaned by staff when I went to wash the dirt off my hand.

When I told the girl on check out about the noise she said to ask for a quiet room the next time.... Sorry, but there definitely will NOT be a next time!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EttyC
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

Young couple spending weekend in Dublin going to concert and drinks after. On arrival, I found hotel to be super cool and reasonably priced, big bed, fantastic location almost all you can ask for a fun weekend. Customer service would define as almost unexistent, no info was given to us relating to any normal area as in breakfast time, check out time, fill in a form, advise us about the possible noise... even pay! I though ok, they are cool we'll ask when we need to. Saturday night back from the concert back from the pub decided to go to bed, I could not believe the level of noise in that room! I had read reviews and thought 'oh people complain too much'. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL IF YOU PRETEND TO SLEEP. I mean I clearly heard and felt the vibrations of every songs until closing time (late closing) and found relived once this time came to found out to my surprise that the party was allowed to go on probably in the in the lounge I guess, till maybe 5 or 6... At 7 cleaning machines were driving right outside my window (no double glazing of course).I think if they receive inspection they would not comply with the minimum requirements to have a license for a hotel. Selling rooms for a torture of a night you are warned.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PILAR101
Telluride, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2010

Kelly's Hotel is hip and chic and perfectly located in the Historic heart of Dublin. The staff is young,energetic and in the know. The very popular NoName bar is right below one wings of the hotel. If you love to party all night long on a Saturday and into the wee hours of Sunday morning then Kelly's is the perfect place for you, because there is absoluelty no way you are going to get to sleep with the rocking and rolling, floor vibrating volume of music and voices going on right underneath your bed! Loved it, recommend it, and would stay there again, but going to sleep before 3 a.m., on a weekend is for wimps who can't keep up with the Irish idea of a good time. Sunday through Thursday nights you can catch up on your beauty rest, when Dubliners have to be back to work the next morning.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel is in a very good location and I found the room (number 4) to be ok for 2 people for one night. As per the other review the noise from outside is bad however, the ear pubs helped. To make up for the noise I found the bed to be one of the best I have stayed in at a hotel. I found the breakfast in very good in the bar next door in the morning.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple