“Stay Away”

Citi Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #100 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for one night, on arravial we were told no booking had been made even after we had paid a deposit. After standing in the lobby for 30mins seaching for comfirmation in our email we where then allowed to continue with our reservation. While this was going on the receptionist had several arguements with groups staying. We booked a private dorm for 8 which had been gave away so the receptionist offered us a 12bed in the basement. We took this on condition no1 would share or enter the room. We were wrong, the room itself was disgustion the window sill had beer cans and dirty plates/cups. The bathroom was alot to be desired for filthy isn the word. Staff entered the room 3times without knocking and waiting for a reply, they barged in without excusing themselfs to remove furniture. Would not recommend any1 staying even if the location is ideal.

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a 4 bed room with a bathroom. It consisted of a bunk bed and a double bed, which we had not been informed it would. However, it was fine sharing. Room itself was clean, but the bathroom was covered in dampness, so much so the walls were nearly all black. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Although there was a concert on this particular weekend we paid a very high rate for a hostel. Great location for city centre and buses.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My mom and I stayed here for the last 4 nights of our trip to Ireland. She had done all the booking for it and only went by the pictures that she saw on their website. Had she checked the ratings here or even on the site that she used to book the place, she may have changed her mind.
I checked us in as my mom wanted to stay in Belfast for an extra day. At first, it didn't seem like a bad place. The staff could hardly speak English, but working in the service industry in a tourist area for as long as I have, I've learned how to jump the hurdles involved. I got my key, which I had to return to the front desk every time I left the building(I thought that was a bit off) and went up to the room. I hadn't eaten since breakfast so I basically just threw my bags down and went back out to find a place to eat.
Like said in the title, the location of this hostel is great. I barely walked a block before I found decent food and a decent bar. After I was done for the day, I returned. The desk did not ask for my name, I just asked for my room key and was given it. I definitely didn't leave any of my important papers or appliances out after that. Then I found out about the bathroom. The toilet didn't work and was situated in such a way that it was impossible to actually sit right. The shower didn't function right either. It was almost impossible to get it to turn off all the way. The door to the shower didn't close properly which meant that there was a constant pool of water collecting in what looked to be a hole underneath the floor. They did have towels after we asked for them. But I never felt truly clean after showering there anyway. Taking a shower at home is going to feel like heaven.
Overall, I think the place has great potential. If they could get their housekeeping in order, then they would be able to charge even more money than they already do, which is a lot. Until that happens, though, avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Went a couple of years ago in 2012 for a couple of nights, yes it wasn't a 5 star or whatever but it was perfectly liveable in. Friendly people there, very cheap, easy to get to parts of the city. I was expecting horrid conditions but really wasn't that bad. Paid like £18 a night. For me not as bad as all the other reviews suggest. Dunno maybe we just got lucky!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The man who seemed to be the manager shouted at the girls working at the reception. Power outlets were also something rare. Just two for a room with eight people!! However, the worst part was the bathroom. Just two showers for the whole hostel and you still had to face slugs looking at you while you're showering...that of course if your cabin had any light.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This is easily the worst hostel I've stayed in. we didn't not feel safe. The check in was a shambles! If I didn't have my confirmation email printed out they would have turned us away. The bathrooms were discusting, piss all over the floor, doors that barely locked. Security may as well not exsist, my boyfriend arrived at midnight after work. The security guard meerly asked where he was going, when he said "to bed" he was allowed to enter. No room number confirmation, key sighting or anything! Our room overlooked the beergarden where people were smashing glasses and pot plants, swearing and fighting, which was allowed to carry on until after 6.30am. People running through the hostel corridoors during the night, trying to break down our bedroom door. The police were never called, and when we went to see the manager in the morning he was no where to be seen. Just a large NO REFUNDS sign hanging at reception. We only stayed here as Abigails hostel (which is fantastic) that we had been previous staying at was booked out for a concert, we were straight back there in the morning! Do not stay here!!

Room Tip: do not stay here. period.
2  Thank GeorgiaCatoni
Reviewed 22 April 2014

First time staying in a Hostel and got to admit I was not very keen for it in the first place. I however agreed to it because of friends whom I was traveling with and their finances.
Needless to say it did not exceed my expectations.
* Room wasn't clean
* Bathroom wasn't clean
* Hostel was full of different stairs and corridors etc which was a pain
* Beds were uncomfortable and I didn't feel safe on the bunks at all
* Safe to say I wouldn't stay in a hostel again.=
* Quite far from city centre
Unfortunately I don't have any positives to say about it.
Kebab shop next door was yummy though ;-)

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel!