“Dissapointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 161 Dublin B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My first ever solo holiday so I thought a room above a bar would be safe, which it was. The staff were amazing and kept me company as I was finding my feet. My room however was shocking, the mattress was stained as were the carpets. The bedding was worn and splitting at the seams, there was a great big chunk of enamel missing off the bath. Most of the lamps weren't working which meant I had to keep the curtain open which was a worry as it looked like there was building work going on outside and there was a ladder across my window the whole time I was there. It was by no means the cheapest hotel and the food, whilst adequate was very expensive, I felt like taking my salt and pepper pots into the kitchen for the chef as seasoning was certainly lacking. Had anybody ever asked me why a couple of times I left half my meal I would have told them but no one ever did.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Christine T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Mayo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Visited this pub today for food with friends. It wasn't overly busy and there appeared to be lots of staff on. The staff were lovely and friendly. The food was very nice but slightly overpriced. One of the girl's didn't get all of her order even after she asked a second time. The place was clean but there were a lot of dirty pint glasses along the bar counter when we arrived.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

O'Shea's Merchant has a great late night bar. At weekends it is the best place to go for craic!. The atmosphere is electric, the Irish music and dancing brilliant. Add to that great clientele and friendliness.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far side are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here on Valentines weekend and we had a fabulous time. The bar was always bustling but when we were in our room we never heard a sound. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Dublin!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SophieEB91
Armagh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel (if you can call it that) has the dubious title of being the absolute worst value for money I have ever spent!!!.. This may have been because we needed a room over the weekend that The Giro cycling was in in town. One night in a double room cost 140 euro (without Breakfast) and to say I was disappointed is an understatement. The rooms were grubby, and in need of some basic maintenance, but on the plus side the bedclothes were clean and the bed comfortable. The main reasons I gave this place 2 stars is that the rooms are of a good size, the staff are passable, and we had some good fun in the pub downstairs.

I would have been happier if I had paid around 50 euro.
the faults I found were
1. hole in the celing where they have replaced the fire/smoke alarms and not bothered to fill in the gap
2.dirty hand prints all over the walls
3. stained carpets
4 .ciggarette burns on the bath tub
5.dirty windows
6.old and chipped furnishings
7. no remote for tv
8. no extra bedding in room (the pillows were VERY flat)
9.old style tv with little channel choice
10. slow check-in/out

I am sure there are more, but hopefully after you read this you wont find out for yourself.(and thankfully I only stayed one night)
I don't mind staying in budget hotels, I have stayed in quite a few, but what I don't like is being ripped off, and this is totally how I felt when leaving here. I have stayed in Dublin a few times and just take my advice, there are many other hotels in the same (or a lot lower) price range, book somewhere else instead.

I think this is the lowest rating I have ever gave a hotel on Trip Advisor...enough said !!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank angie m
Maura O, Manager at O'Shea's Merchant Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi thebigmushroom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. You feedback is essential to the improvement of our products & services and overall guest experience.

The problems you encountered are certainly not in keeping with the normal practices in O'Shea's Merchant. I can only apologise to you and regret that I did not learn of your difficulties during your stay.

I can report that the issues you encountered with checking out and the room maintenance have been acknowledged and plans are currently in place to avoid a repeat of your experience ever happening again. Our hotel is currently undergoing improvements to quality of both our standards and services.

We hope that we can entice you back to stay with us once more to offer you the experience that you deserved initially at O'Shea's Merchant. Please contact me directly on info@themerchanttemplebar.com or 01 6793797 if you wish to discuss further.

Kind regards,

Maura Moran

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We took a night between two flights. Close to Temple Bar and The Cathedral, city center is also close. There's large tavern downstairs with live music sometimes - and great food always. Small clean rooms were upstairs. I can tell you, we were very pleased - worth every cent!

Room Tip: Do not afraid bar downstairs - no noise guarantee!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Staff wonderful, accommodation basic, clean, affordable. Food lovely and music toe tapping and traditional. Good craic.
If you want to be close to the city without spending a fortune on accommodation, I recommend O'Sheas Merchant.
This hotel would be perfect for those who just want to place to sleep and eat after a night on the town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends