“Hidden Northside Gem”

Cuisines: French, Irish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North City Centre
Description: Le Bon Crubeen's brasserie menu delivers a realistic, consistent, grass-roots experience sourcing ingredients from the very finest Irish producers delivering quality and value for money. Our menus include vegetarian and Coeliac/Gluten free dishes.
Dublin, Ireland
“Hidden Northside Gem”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Enjoyed an excellent pre-theatre meal in Le Bon Crubeen on Saturday.

The place has a lovely atmosphere, even early in the evening, helped along by the music of Rufus Wainwright, Michale Bublé etc drifting through the speakers.

They offer an excellent pre-theatre deal of €19.95 for 2 courses or €22-ish for 3 but several of my party were tempted by things from the A La Carte so we went down that route, and it didn't prove much harder on the pockets at all.

I had the moules mariniere to start which arrived in a generous helping of their delicious white wine sauce replete with a small portion of bread for mopping and a preemptive spoon to make sure you didn't miss any of it.
Of my my companions two opted for the potted duck which received good reviews, and one opted for the peach, feta and dried ham salad which gave me total food envy when it arrived, it looked incredible!

For my main I chose the lamb rump which arrived as pink and tender as promised by the menu and which was accompanied by a gorgeous, flavourful caponata and a little garlic potato gratin which was deliciously sinful tasting.
My dining partners all opted for fish mains and all were delighted in their choices - variously, haddock, ray wing and a main-sized version of the mussel starter.

Two coffees and a lemon posset rounded off the meal and I indulged in my new favourite thing, a desert cocktail, specifically a Brandy Alexander.
Le Bon Crubeen sports a full bar and a couple of excellent mixologists who have put together an exciting cocktail menu and are happy to go off book if you fancy something a little different.

Replete and with pockets not too badly damaged we tottered off to the Gate for our show.
But, so impressed were we with our experience at Le Bon Crubeen we ended up back there again on our way home for post-theatre cocktails and discovered to our delight there was a live jazz trio playing in the corner. What a lovely way to end the evening.

Stray notes:
Coeliac and Vegetarian friendly
Outside terrace

1 Thank Emma W
john d, General Manager at Le Bon Crubeen, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you so much. It is a team effort and we love to get all feedback....especially the good stuff
Looking forward to seeing you again soon

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just wonderful! Definitely go!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

My friend and I found out about this restaurant from a very helpful guy in a pub who told us it belongs to his friend. He instantly set us up with a phone number to contact him. From the minute we talked on the phone to the end of the night we were spoilt rotten and treated so well.
We arrived and were greeted by Mark with a glass of bubbly. After settling at our table we gushed over the menu and were more than thankful for the very competent help and advice of Steven to help us choose our food. He also gave us two wine tasters to help us choose which one would go better with our food.
The starters were delicious, with our absolute recommendation being the chicken liver pate. Dreamy.
Our main courses were both so great that we ended up sharing them. My lamb rump was thick, juicy and exquisite and my friends duck was crispy and on a delicious bed of almost Thai vegetables.
We had a little break before our dessert and chatted to the waiter Kenny about all sorts. So friendly and fun.
To help the food down and make space for dessert we proceeded to a little cocktail. Bramble. A mix of lemon and berry that was just right!
The dessert topped everything off perfectly. We fought over my lemon creme brûlée with caramel and shortbread and her sticky pudding had us eating with our fingers and delighting in every last bit of it...
A little coffee ended the evening and we sat and chatted for ages, alone and with the waiters. We didn't order anything else but ewe welcome to just sit and enjoy the rest of our wine.
The price was so great that there is no doubt we will be visiting again. Ireland has delighted us in all things food and service. I am absolutely overwhelmed!
A big thank you to the entire team and I can only say: go there and enjoy it. Of all the places we dined in Ireland, this was the best!

Visited May 2014
Thanks a million girls....I'm so glad you met Hugh who sent you our direction, We had fun looking after you...and most of the boys in the restaurant could not take their eyes off you...lol...Hope all is well back in Germany and hope to see you again next trip.....
Dublin, Ireland
“Good food need to better explain early bird menu”
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Food was delicious and the restaurant ambiance was great. Our waitress neglected to point out that certain choices on the Early Bird menu were 2-5 Euro more per item than the other choices so we were a bit surprised when our check total was higher than expected.

Visited May 2014
Glad you enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Sorry to here about you not seeing the supplements on the menu. I will put them in a larger font on our next menu. Hope to see you soon
Cork, Ireland
“Cosy place, good service and nice food.”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have been to this place several times before...Last Friday I happened to dine here again..Its a cosy place....modern interior...dimmed lights ( I like this type of lightning...creates intimacy). Nice food...Quiet...Rarely see kids here...Mostly couples..Prices are prob best in the city.

• Visited May 2014
thanks a million.....Its a long way from Tipperary but a short train journey from Cork...hope to see you soon
Cavan, Ireland
“Beautiful food for all restricted diets brillant”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Recommend for gluten free eaters beautiful food, lovely setting , friendly staff very reasonable priced.
Will definitely visit again booking advisable

• Visited May 2014
Thank you....we do try and cater for all diets....and never be afraid to ask for us to change dishes....our chefs are very helpful....