“So good we stayed an extra night!”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #21 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Bangor, United Kingdom
“So good we stayed an extra night!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

I found the staff very helpful on arrival. Although when checking in the receptionist asked me did I want to authorise a card for room service which I did. There was a slight problem with that when I ordered my first drinks for my girlfriend and I and told we'd have to pay cash because there wasn't a card on the system. A quick call to reception soon resolved that issue though Thankfully I had the cash to save embarrassment! The line for room service was pretty bad which the hotel should look into. I didn't hear the guy mention there was a 4 euro surcharge for room service or I would've went to the bar myself.

First thing that I loved were how spacious the rooms were! I've often paid a lot of money for luxury hotel rooms that are basically a bed and no room to swing a cat as the saying goes. For what we paid we couldn't really ask for anymore. Slightly disappointing our room didn't have a very nice view as we thought it would. I never addressed this with reception but i'm sure they would've moved us if I wanted.

The rooms have a walk in shower which is lovely and the surround sound system in the bathroom was also very cool (not something you usually find in a 4 star).
There are also lights under the bed which is dead romantic and is also handy if you want to keep a little light in the room without having a lamp on.

Outside the hotel you can the Luas for about 2 euro. I'm not very familiar with it so I just got a cab. Which is roughly 10 euro each time into the city centre. If the weather had of stayed nice I would've probably walked.

There are 2 restaurants in the hotel Coda Eatery and Something semiquaver? I chose the 2nd one anyway because you needed a reservation for the coda eatery. The menu was nothing I fancied (Indian themed) so the waiter told me I could get a steak. Pretty small steak for 25 euro but it was still nice.

The hotel doesn't have an ATM but there is a spar 2 blocks away which is handy.
Overall I enjoyed my stay at The Gibson Hotel. It is a well priced hotel with exceptional staff and I look forward to returning within the next few months.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear “armedwithamind”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of our hotel. I’m sorry to hear about your slight issue upon checking in and we will be taking steps to rectify this so that it doesn’t happen again. I’m delighted you enjoyed the remainder of your stay and that you stayed an extra night with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there are any particular requests that you may have to enhance your next stay with us.

email :gcallinan@thegibsonhotel.ie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
GALWAY
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Each time we visit Dublin we stay in the Gibson, it might be a little more expensive but it is so worth it. It is a new modern hotel that combines form and function perfectly. It is right beside the 02 arena so is perfect for concerts. Big luxurious rooms , really nice staff and lovely bar. the luas outside the hotel is really handy as its just a 5 min ride into town. - It really is such a treat to stay here...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LOLLY_GGalway
Dear “LOLLY_GGalway”

It was a great pleasure for both my team and I to read your review and I deeply appreciate you taking the time to do so. I’m delighted you enjoy your breaks here and we look forward to welcoming you back anytime. If there is anything that I can assist you with for your next visit please contact me directly and I would be more than happy to oblige.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Myself and partner celebrated our anniversary here. On arrival we were upgraded to Junior Suite, which was absolutley amazing! The view of Dublin that we could see from our own private balcony was beautiful.
We had dinner in the evening, which was lovely, no complaints, served by Michelle, who was a very pleasant girl.
Next morning breakfast choice was brilliant too, with alot of choice!
Cant wait to visit again.

1 Thank SalsaMel
Dear “SalsaMel”,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your special occasion with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our Team Members. It is always encouraging to receive such positive feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future and if there is anything in particular that I can do to help you in planning your trip please don’t hesitate to contact me.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Back from my first stay at this hotel and I will definitely be back. It's a short distance from the city centre (on the Luas line but you could walk it easily), close to IFSC and right opposite the O2.

The hotel is brand new and very contemporary in décor. The reception areas and bars are buzzy and friendly, and they do excellent cocktails. I found the staff quite friendly and welcoming. I didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel, but the breakfast is fantastic.

When I got to my room I though 'My room rocks!' It was light and airy thanks to huge windows; the room size was generous; the bed was really comfortable; the shower was amazing and the wifi strong.

I will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonEv
Dear “LondonEv”,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read the points that you raised as these are some of the core values that we aspire to here at the gibson hotel. I’m very happy to hear you intend to return and if there is anything that I can do to be of assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Orlando
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Have to check out of the Gibson tomorrow after three days here, and I will miss it. The rooms are full of light, and every detail has been considered in planning them. Electric window blinds, balcony and roof garden outside, heated tile floor in the bath.....I will miss them all. Spent a rainy Sunday afternoon in the third-floor bar listening to live jazz as soft as the rain. Enjoyed an innovative bar menu, and a chef who accommodated my craving for oysters even though the restaurant proper was closed. And when I ran into a computer problem, one of the staff came to fix it, even though that's not his job. (Hats off to Barry--he deserves a raise, or at least an iPad, for that!) In short, this place outshines its competition in every way imaginable. I'm enjoying the tram rides to see the sights, and I'm delighted not to be closer to the tourists in Temple Bar. Any time I'm in Dublin, the Gibson will be my home.

Room Tip: ask for balcony room on fifth or sixth floor. Quiet! View!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank msabsinthe
Dear “msabsinthe”,

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay so much with us and may I thank you for taking the time to post a review. Feedback is extremely important for us to continually improve our product and service. I will be sure to pass on your comments to our team and in particular, Barry. I am delighted that you will be considering the gibson hotel your home, and if there is anything I can do to assist in planning your future getaways, please do not hesitate to contact me.

132 miles west of Dublin
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Stayed here for one night last week while going to James Taylor at the O2. It was excellent and the staff could not have been nicer even though the Hotel was fully booked. We got a balcony room which was a nice bonus. Check-in and out was very smooth and staff asked if we had enjoyed the concert which was a nice touch. Would definitely recommend staying here if going to the O2.
Tip 1 - the special hotel overnight parking rate (€14 for 24 hours) is only €4 more than the ticketmaster "special" sold with O2 concert tickets but you have to be out before midnight with the ticketmaster ones.
Tip 2 - booked directly on the hotel website and breakfast was cheaper than on any of the "independent" sites.

1 Thank Herondancer
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2011
Dear Herondancer,

Thank you for taking time to post this review. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed the hospitality of our team and that you enjoyed having one of our balcony rooms. We hope to welcome you back to the gibson hotel again in the near future. In the meantime if there is anything I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This hotel exceeds expectations. Recently spent 5 days there with teenage son and elderly parents and we were all extremely satisfied. Have travelled on from Dublin and have yet to find a hotel that is anywhere in the same league as The Gibson. Luxurious rooms, excellent service, amazing food both for breakfast and in restaurant, fantastic gym facilities and customer service. Will definitely recommend to everyone I know who is traveling to Dublin.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne J
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2011
Dear 255100Anne,

We were delighted to see your review and are glad that you and your party thouroughly enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holidays. Perhaps we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Gibson in the future, if so, do not hesitate to contact me and I would be delighted to assist in any way.

Best Regards