“Lovely Experience”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #22 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I've stayed in various kinds of hotels and B&B's inDublin, usually not satisfied. The Gibson is exceptional. Classy place but understated so you don't feel intimidated. Large, comfortable,QUIET room . Two deficits: an ugly view and overdone sleekness. We liked the sleekness up to a point but the design seemed to require that no drawer space is provided, just some open shelves.. A true nuisance marring an othwise fine layout. (Closet space is adeqaute for two.)The shower is a masterpiece of elegance and convenience. Another big plus is the service, especially the room service. Transit to central Dublin is quick and convenient. We relied exclusively on the tram. But I did notice that overnight parking cost as much as 40 euros, a monster charge in my view (partly compensated by the free wi-fi .). We were sorry to leave.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Lynvet33,

I was so glad to read your feedback following your stay at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed the brilliant service we provide to our guests. I am very proud that the team delivered the best levels of service to you and that we met your expectations. As always I will be passing your kind words on to our great team. I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

Returned to this hotel inside 6 weeks. It was a good a the first time I stayed there. Got a beautiful room and was welcomed back. I got friends to stay here as well and they loved it.

Again the room was spotless and everything in working order. The service in the bar was very efficient and staff very friendly.

Will be back as I have to stay in Dublin a few times during the year, Hoe the rates stay good

Keep up the good work its hard to have a hotel providing such a good service all the time.

Would recommend the Gibson to anyone

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear buletide,

Reviewed 4 September 2012

My husband and I stopped here when we went to see Madonna at the Aviva Stadium in July. Excellent food in hotel. Staff very polite and were extremely helpful. Rooms are quite spacious and very modern. Tram was right outside our hotel which takes you into Dublin center for 3.50 and you could travel back and forth on same ticket throughout the day.
Would recommend and hope to stop again next time we come to Dublin.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear maesbury,

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed here one weekend with my husband and two friends. It’s a brand new and modern hotel with well laid out and clean rooms. I’d really recommend this to anyone wanting a break in Dublin.

It’s right on the tram line and about 10 minutes tram from the city centre, absolutely perfect for sightseeing although it’s too far away for ladies to walk in at night in heels, so if you’re going out it’s definitely a cab ride there and back which is only a few euros. Great location indeed, and a great hotel.

The rooms are well appointed, with nice toiletries, great beds and good towels and sheets. The hotel itself is really beautiful designed. The restaurant and bar areas were trendy and nice. The cocktails are good and they made a mean martini!

We didn’t eat here in the evening, although had breakfast here which I feel is worth paying for. The breakfast was good, although I was confused by the pricing, it was €5 more to get the full Irish breakfast than the continental, but when you sat down they said you could get anything anyway, so in theory you could pay for the continental at €10 and they get the full Irish stuff from the buffet anyway. It would make more sense for them to charge a flat fee so patrons can get what they want. I was so confused, I wanted the smoked salmon (which was in the continental section) with the scrambled eggs (which were in the full Irish section). It also wasn’t clear whether the fruits, cereals and pastries etc. were for everyone or just for the continental. Either way we paid for full Irish and ate everything anyway. I would also get to breakfast early to avoid them running out of stuff, and to avoid the mess. There didn’t seem to be many staff or cleaners within the breakfast area so spills etc. were just left around the buffet where kids had slopped things around, which was a bit gross. So early the better to avoid scabby breakfast area.

I would stay here again, it was actually nice to be out of town, I had a very peaceful night’s sleep here and would recommend to anyone wanting a weekend break in Dublin.

Room Tip: The ones at the front of the building have access to a large shared terrace which was nice. The othe...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessica A

Dear JessicaA

Reviewed 4 September 2012

I needed a getaway after a very busy period so I booked the Gibson for a one night stay with my boyfriend. We had a very enjoyable stay. Location was perfect as we left the hotel to go into the city centre for drinks on the first evening. We arrived back to the hotel that night at 3am with food to eat in our room. We met the night manager/porter who was very pleasant.
We were due to check out next morning but did not want to leave so I went to reception and got a second night at the same rate. So glad I done this as really needed the day of relaxing and watching tv and reading the newspaper left outside out bedroom door.
We decided to go into town for dinner that evening and upon leaving the hotel I went to reception to pay for the 2nd nights stay, get new key cards authorized and request stayover service on the room to just remove the rubbish and give us fresh towels.
I was very disappointed upon our return 2-3 hours later as when we entered the room we had only received half a stayover service. Our bed was re-made nicely, our used towels which had been left on the bathroom floor had just been re-hung back up with the hand towels re-folded damp. The rubbish and food from the previous evening was still in the room with the rubbish bin overflowing and the shower gel/shampoos had not been replenished. I was only disappointed as the only reason I had requested the service was to remove the food in case it started to smell and get fresh towels to shower. Overall the room was spotless and as I have hotel accommodation experience I was keeping my eyes peeled for things (out of habit) but could not find any housekeeping faults.
I was a little surprised that I had no access to open the bedroom window.Room was very warm even with the air con constantly on. I received no newspaper on 2nd morning even tough reception asked me which paper I would like.
I will return hopefully for another relaxing stay if I ever get the time. Do ye have a spa? This is something I would love to use next time if I return?

Room Tip: Request a room with a window if you do not like hot rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Orlal8585,

Reviewed 3 September 2012

What an awful area of Dublin. It ruined my impression of Dublin after having stayed in Ballsbridge at the start of my 16-day trip to Ireland and loving it. The area is ugly and under construction. It is very sketchy late at night and doesn't feel safe compared to the beautiful Ballsbridge area.

My first room was on the 5th floor facing out and beyond the O2 Arena. It was hard to overlook the demolition site below my window. This was by far my least favorite hotel of the entire Ireland trip.

The lobby area is ugly where the reception area is. I have no idea how so many people could compliment this place. The plain, white hallways are almost hospital-like. Maybe people who are leaping from youth hostel & bed & breakfast traveling to third-rate-fancy hotel traveling would be impressed with this type of hotel?

That first room had a bathroom that smelled like and was similar to a musty locker room. The windows were filthy & not just from the dust created by the construction below. The birds had left their white & black splatters as well.

I had been looking forward to the end of my trip in Dublin because the rest of my vacation had been so amazing but the Gibson Hotel ruined that for me. I have no idea how this place could rank so high for Dublin hotels so please beware if you have a bit of class and are accustomed to the finer things in life.

If you have any experience with five star hotels, you will NOT confuse this place with one. It is funny to think that this place gets compared with luxury hotels. They don't even have a decent concierge to take care of guest requests. The front desk people double as concierge but they didn't really know much about Dublin. They could not give me any info about a day trip to Dalkey.

Others have commented that the amenities in the guest rooms "were just like a five-star hotel" but I have NEVER seen shampoo, body soap and lotion in packets at quality hotels. You have to tear the tops of the packets just like ketchup & mustard packs in fast food restaurants. Also, the cleaning staff left opened packets to be used the next day and the black ink on the outside would stain my hands after sitting in a wet soap dish for a day. Very top-notch indeed.

Five-star hotels have nice umbrellas for guests to use. I chose to get wet rather than carry a cheesy neon yellow "Gibson" logo umbrella. Not very tasteful at all.

The towels, robes and slippers in the executive room were neither plush nor soft. Make no mistake, The Gibson is a far cry from a five-star hotel.

The kitchen closed at 10 p.m. and I had to plead with them to get a sandwich with chips which I did get. The service was terrible on that first night and they apologized nicely for it. The bar was lined with dirty glasses because they were understaffed. (The manager was in Poland getting married, I think.)

I had to change rooms at about 4 a.m. on my first night. I started to call the front desk at about 1:30 a.m. because the air conditioning was so hot. A very nice person brought two fans up to my room at about 2:30 in the morning but that hardly helped. I think I received two or three calls and the last one was from the night manager who apologized and offered me a junior suite so I took it with the hopes for a cooler place to sleep.

That junior suite was on the same floor and ended up being hot as well. I felt bad complaining so I suffered in a bed of sweat. Luckily, the junior suite had a balcony with a door so I could get some air. Because I did not get to sleep until after 4 a.m. I missed my plan for a day trip. There was a bizarre fire alarm at about 9 a.m. and I left my room but got lost trying to find my way back to my suite so I had to go down to the desk to find out. I was half asleep when I changed rooms at 4 a.m. so I didn't take notice of the new room.

A very, very friendly daytime manager (Robert) came to my suite at about noon on my second day and he commented about how hot it was in there. (It wasn't me.) He offered to change me to a third room on the 6th floor so I agreed because I did not want to lose the entire day in order to change hotels. He promised me a freezing room and that was what I got.

My third room was an executive king which was smaller than the suite but much, much nicer. If this whole ramble hasn't soured you on the hotel, you should only consider the executive king compared to the nasty first room and junior suite with dentist office waiting room furniture.

The executive king's balcony was better than the junior suite's balcony. It was still hard to enjoy being outside when it smelled like diesel fuel from the passing trucks and/or construction site trucks.

I was very happy on the second day and again on the second night. Robert had really made up for the disastrous start at the Gibson.

But then I was woken up on the last night at about 4 a.m. because I was sweating again. I called down to the desk and they said that there was a problem with the air conditioning again and I could change to a 4th room!? I decided to just be hot for my last few hours in Ireland. I hardly slept.

Personally, I think that I should not have had to pay for that first night but they did not offer that to me. I lost a night's sleep because of their terrible air conditioning problem and then I lost a half day in Dublin because I slept late and had to change to a third room.

A general manager has since contacted me by email and offered me a free night's stay but there is no way that I would want to return to such a place.

I was treated poorly at check-out by a very snide desk clerk & she could have turned it around a bit and at least salvaged something but she chose to be rude and unprofessional instead. I was late for my flight so I didn't want to talk about my stay and that seemed to really bother her.

I was all set to give the Gibson an "average" rating on my second day after Robert had done so well but then it all fell apart again on the third day.

This is NOT a fantastic place or a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kobekeith
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I've stayed in the Gibson on a number of occasions for 1-2 night breaks. It's location in Dublin's regenerated Docklands district is very convenient for the O2 arena (adjacent) & Aviva Stadium (20 min walk on opposite riverbank). The tram (LUAS) terminus is outside front door (Point stop) providing fast regular transport to city centre, Temple Bar (Jervis stop), museum, Houston & Connolly intercity rail stations, Busarus coach station, & other coach links at Red Cow to KIldare, Limerick, Airports etc. The hotel is easily accessed from M50/M1 motorways via tunnel (toll) and secure payparking is available underground (special rate for residents). It's a large modern imposing building with good views of docks, riverfront, & distant mountains. The hotel occupies floors 3-6 with easy lift & escalator access. Interior design is modern open plan lounges/bar/restaurant surrounding green outdoor square areas. The entire hotel design is based on overlooking a number of these square open areas, full of lush foilage & natural light. All bedroom's have either an external city/docklands view or alternatively surround the internal square areas. The bedrooms/bathrooms are of a very high standard & impeccably maintained. Some exterior bedrooms have balconies. The buffet breakfast is of a very high standard with an a la Carte menu (eggs benedict, french toast, waffles etc available for a modest supplement to the B&B rate) also available. Dinner in the Coda eatery is leaning towards the upper end both in terms of variety and price, although there is a good 2 or 3 course 'special price' menu. Bar food is of an equally high standard, and more reasonably priced. Sunday 'brunch' & jazz seems very popular. Staff & service are usually of a high standard, although during the Tall Ships there was definitely major problems with service & clearing of tables in the bar. The restaurant seemed less affected when we dined on Sat night, despite being fully booked between 7.30 & 9pm. Overall, I heartily recommend the Gibson for Dublin City breaks. Bear in mind tho', if you miss the last tram from the city centre, it's a decent stroll down the riverfront (or a quick taxi ride).

Room Tip: corridors are quite long if. like myself, you're not 100% on the feet. request rooms close to li...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple