“Valentine's day deal”

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Valentine's day deal”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Hotel's exterior and interior is all very nice. Its quite a modern hotel, especially by Ireland's standards. Myself and my partner got a very reasonable deal for 1 night with a sweet treat of cupcakes on arrival to our room, a 3 course meal, two free cocktails and breakfast the next day. One of the staff members was a bit zoned out when we were talking to her. The room was mostly clean and looked beautiful but there was an odd smell. The meal was absolutely delicious and the staff were very helpful in giving us suggestions on what to order and even what to avoid. We even got another complimentary cocktail brought to our table to share. Overall it was a great experience even though we didn't avail of the relaxation treatments.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Ommet,

I am delighted to read that you availed of our valentines package and had a great time in the hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. Its a shame you weren't able to use the relaxation area during your stay, perhaps on your next visit you will be able to use all the facilities we have to offer.

Manager On Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I have been wanting to stay in the Gibson for a long time and last Sunday we got the opportunity to do so! I must say I was completely underwhelmed by the whole experience! I have stayed in many hotels around the world from the very expensive to the cheap and cheerful! I found that the Gibson while very aesthetically pleasing it lacked a lot of the basics you require from a hotel! As my wife is pregnant and we went for a relaxing break She was very disappointed to find that there was no bath in the hotel room and then I was hoping to order a movie to the room yet the hotel doesn't offer this facility! In fairness you can RENT a DVD player if you have your own DVD's?! I found the room very warm at night I turned the heating system down to the lowest however it made no difference! We couldn't open the window as there was only a door out to a communal balcony shared with 5/6 other rooms. Also beware I was of the opinion that parking was included in the price of the stay seeing as we payed €100 for room only and the fact that it's not in the city centre it would be included, yet in check out it was an extra €14! So for €114
Room I don't think we got value for money, the hotel was spot less and the staff were very friendly however you could have stayed in the 5 star Dylan hotel with parking included for the same price on the night we stayed! I wouldn't stay again I think there is better value in Dublin

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nshev1984
Dear nshev1984,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the gibson hotel with us. I am disappointed to read that your entire experience of the hotel wasn't a satisfying one. My sincere apologies the room you were assigned didn't have a bath, not all the rooms in the hotel have baths however upon request we do try our best to allocated a room with a bath to guests subject to availability. In-room entertainment like movies is not a service the hotel provides however we have DVD players and movies to put in guest rooms on request and am sorry you weren't able to avail of it when you stayed with us.

nshev1984, the car park is not owned by the hotel but we have negotiated a discounted rate of €14 for an overnight stay and I am sorry you didn't think it was value for money. I am disappointed that you are not going to give us another chance to impress however I sincerely hope you will reconsider and come back.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at the Gibson 14 and 15 Feb. Fantastic!
I have stayed in 5 star hotels which were far inferior to this. Room was lovely but what made it was the friendly and helpful staff at reception and behind the bar.
Privately owned apparantly........ Well done to the owner you have created a gem.
Not in the centre of town but the tram (Luas) stops directly outside. 6 stops (5 mins) to Jervais then walk accross the Liffy to get to Temple Bar and the nightlife.
Went as a group of 10 and everyone thought the same. Drinks are pricey but hey... if you want a cheap beer dont go to Dublin £5-7 Euros a pint everywhere.
Taxis are reasonable and the cabbies are all comedians.
Top trip.
IT

Room Tip: 301 Was nice
Dear Tommo3796,

I am delighted to read that your stay here at the gibson hotel was an enjoyable one and I am delighted you have shared your experience with all the tripadvisor community. I have shared your fantastic review with all the team here and it has given us all a big lift in continuing to deliver excellent service to all our guests.

I hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

UK
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here in February for the Wales Ireland rugby game and would definitely stay here again. It took approx 20 minutes to walk to centre of Dublin, you can walk along the river which is a lovely route. For those in a rush or not wanting to walk so much, tram is right outside the hotel and runs every 5 minutes. The walk to the stadium was about 25 minutes which on a fine day was ideal. The staff were very friendly and for an extra 10 euro per person you can have an excellent buffet breakfast. Rooms were modern and airy, slightly on the warm side but not unbearable. Hotel bar was great and prices on a par with any of the pubs. The gym was really of a high standard with each piece of equipment having their own TV screen. The relaxation area was excellent too. Have already looked to see if we can book when we go back in two years but dates not available yet.

Dear Sun1UK,

I am delighted to read that you chose to stay at the gibson hotel during your recent trip to Dublin to see Wales take on Ireland in the 6 Nations. I hope you enjoyed the match. Thank you for sharing your experience of the hotel with the tripadvisor community. I am very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found all the staff to be very friendly.

I hope you will choose the gibson again on your next trip to Dublin.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Confort rooms, big beds, warm atomosphere in a modern decoration. Wifi was free and good conection, Lounge bar has a good offer and at reasonable prices. Location is not right in the city centre, but well communicated with the Luas, and just about €25 to the Airport - 15-20 minutes- by taxi.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms or 4th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear gamonedo,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the gibson hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and for sharing your experience with us and the trip advisor community. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay and found the rooms to be comfortable with big beds.

I hope you will come visit us again soon when you are next in Dublin.

Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in The Gibson Hotel four times now and I would gladly return over and over.
The staff are amazing and will do all they can to help.
The food is fantastic, plenty of it, full of flavour & presented beautifully.
We have stayed in four different rooms and all four were comfortable, spacious & relaxing.
It is located perfectly, close to the city but far enough out to avoid all the hustle bustle.
Would gladly recommend to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Barbara C,

I am delighted to read that after 4 stays with us, the standard we have set has remained and you have enjoyed all your stays with us. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us, It really is satisfying when guests keep coming back to us because they have enjoyed their previous stays.

Your review has given the entire team a big lift as we are always striving to keep all our guests happy. We look forward to your next stay with us which I am sure you will enjoy.

Swords
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed there valentines night for a well worth price of 175 it was well worth the money because it is a gorgeous hotel and me my girlfriend her sister and her boyfriend ate at ur lovely coda restaurant and I really Wana say this but I've never felt so comfortable from your waiter Daniel he made us feel so welcome he is a very nice lad I would recommend this hotel to any1 I'd like to thank Daniel for making us so welcome and having the laugh with us I think he might remember us cause we had a great laugh

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Glennquinn,

I am delighted to read that you and your girlfriend had an enjoyable stay with us and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is even more pleasing to read that Danny was able to make your dinning experience in our Coda eatery the more special. Danny is a credit to the department and the hotel and its really is a delight to be working with him and all the team here at the hotel.

I hope you will come back to visit us again soon.