“great so nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Cork, Ireland
“great so nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

just back from dublin had a great time in this hotel the staff were so nice we stayed in a family room lots of space so nice in the rooms we did not want to leave we had dinner in the hemi bar te food was so nice as were the staff even the duty manager mr evens he made our trip even better we could not have asked for more from the staff if i ever go back to dublin i will be staying there the kids cant stop talking about the hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear John H,

I was absolutely delighted to read your very kind words about your recent stay at The gibson Hotel. I was so glad that we met you and your families expectations. I have shared your review with all the team here at the hotel. Please do come and visit us again soon where I am sure we will once again meet your expectations.

Manager On Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was my second stay in the Gibson, and I really enjoyed it. The rooms are lovely and it opened straight out onto a little garden. We had a twin room and the beds were lovely and comfortable. The room was nice and clean, and really nice, spacious showers. The Luas is right outside the front door which is great for getting into the city centre. The O2 is right opposite the hotel so is ideal if you are going to a show. The night we stayed the X Factor tour was on so a lot of guests were staying there for it, but the hotel was so quiet and peaceful you wouldn't have thought so. There is an underground car park which cost us €14 for parking overnight. We left the car beyond the 12 o'clock check out time so the hotel added a day pass onto that for €10 so it was €24 altogether, which is a little expensive, but it's hard to find anything cheaper in Dublin. It's also safe in there and convenient. We had some lunch in the bar. We had a bit of a mix up with our order which left us waiting a bit for food, but when it came it was very nice. The breakfast was very nice, with a big selection of food to choose from at the buffet.

I really enjoyed the Gibson and would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Dublin, my favourite place I've stayed at in the city. The staff are just so friendly and helpful at reception which makes a big difference.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us on Trip advisor following your recent stay at the hotel. My apologies there was a mix up with food in the bar but I am happy that this was sorted and that you found the food to be very nice when it did arrive.

I have shared your comments with the entire team here at The gibson Hotel and they are extremely proud to have made your stay an enjoyable one.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us soon and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We didn't stay the night on either occasion we were here; the food in the bar, however, is fantastic (best rice I've had outside of Asia).

Décor and design deserve high commendation, as do the attentive and friendly staff.

RobsTrip M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hemi bar with the tripadvisor community. I am delighted you enjoyed the Asian menu we offer, my favourite is actually the Singapore noodles which I have had many times so perhaps on your next visit you will be able to try it.

belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Stayed recently for one night.
Location is good - a bit out of the centre but easily accessible using the Luas (tram) or taxi.
Check in was friendly and efficient.
The lobby areas are modern and attractive, but not somewhere you might want to hang about in. The bar was similar...and on arriving there late and wanting a drink before bed, it certainly wasn't appealing as quite a number of tables were littered with empties and general rubbish and were waiting to be cleared. Perhaps they just had had a busy evening.
The rooms were large, modern, clean and well appointed. Ours was lovely to stay in. The bathroom likewise was large, clean and had lots of amenities.
Breakfast was poor - lots of people, average selection only, hot food of moderate quality at best and a fairly chaotic seating arrangement with other guests just arriving being seated in the seats of those up getting food at the buffet.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear hc1401,

thank you for taking the time to share your recent of the gibson hotel with us. I am happy that you enjoyed aspects of your stay however I am extremely disappointed that your overall experience wasn't to that of the high standards we have set ourselves. I will be working closely with the team to make sure these high standards are maintained throughout the hotel and I hope you will be able to see it when you next visit us.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Hotel's exterior and interior is all very nice. Its quite a modern hotel, especially by Ireland's standards. Myself and my partner got a very reasonable deal for 1 night with a sweet treat of cupcakes on arrival to our room, a 3 course meal, two free cocktails and breakfast the next day. One of the staff members was a bit zoned out when we were talking to her. The room was mostly clean and looked beautiful but there was an odd smell. The meal was absolutely delicious and the staff were very helpful in giving us suggestions on what to order and even what to avoid. We even got another complimentary cocktail brought to our table to share. Overall it was a great experience even though we didn't avail of the relaxation treatments.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ommet,

I am delighted to read that you availed of our valentines package and had a great time in the hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with the trip advisor community. Its a shame you weren't able to use the relaxation area during your stay, perhaps on your next visit you will be able to use all the facilities we have to offer.

Killarney, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I have been wanting to stay in the Gibson for a long time and last Sunday we got the opportunity to do so! I must say I was completely underwhelmed by the whole experience! I have stayed in many hotels around the world from the very expensive to the cheap and cheerful! I found that the Gibson while very aesthetically pleasing it lacked a lot of the basics you require from a hotel! As my wife is pregnant and we went for a relaxing break She was very disappointed to find that there was no bath in the hotel room and then I was hoping to order a movie to the room yet the hotel doesn't offer this facility! In fairness you can RENT a DVD player if you have your own DVD's?! I found the room very warm at night I turned the heating system down to the lowest however it made no difference! We couldn't open the window as there was only a door out to a communal balcony shared with 5/6 other rooms. Also beware I was of the opinion that parking was included in the price of the stay seeing as we payed €100 for room only and the fact that it's not in the city centre it would be included, yet in check out it was an extra €14! So for €114
Room I don't think we got value for money, the hotel was spot less and the staff were very friendly however you could have stayed in the 5 star Dylan hotel with parking included for the same price on the night we stayed! I wouldn't stay again I think there is better value in Dublin

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nshev1984
Dear nshev1984,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the gibson hotel with us. I am disappointed to read that your entire experience of the hotel wasn't a satisfying one. My sincere apologies the room you were assigned didn't have a bath, not all the rooms in the hotel have baths however upon request we do try our best to allocated a room with a bath to guests subject to availability. In-room entertainment like movies is not a service the hotel provides however we have DVD players and movies to put in guest rooms on request and am sorry you weren't able to avail of it when you stayed with us.

nshev1984, the car park is not owned by the hotel but we have negotiated a discounted rate of €14 for an overnight stay and I am sorry you didn't think it was value for money. I am disappointed that you are not going to give us another chance to impress however I sincerely hope you will reconsider and come back.

Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed at the Gibson 14 and 15 Feb. Fantastic!
I have stayed in 5 star hotels which were far inferior to this. Room was lovely but what made it was the friendly and helpful staff at reception and behind the bar.
Privately owned apparantly........ Well done to the owner you have created a gem.
Not in the centre of town but the tram (Luas) stops directly outside. 6 stops (5 mins) to Jervais then walk accross the Liffy to get to Temple Bar and the nightlife.
Went as a group of 10 and everyone thought the same. Drinks are pricey but hey... if you want a cheap beer dont go to Dublin £5-7 Euros a pint everywhere.
Taxis are reasonable and the cabbies are all comedians.
Top trip.
IT

Room Tip: 301 Was nice