“Modern, spacious, slightly out of town but with good transport connections.”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Modern, spacious, slightly out of town but with good transport connections.”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Hotel is situated immediately across the road (50 yards) from the O2, so if you are going to a concert at that venue, this Hotel is ideal for you.

The Hotel itself is located in the Docklands/Financial district, in what can only be described as an area under development. The hotel is surrounded by a variety of commercial and residential buildings, but there are also vast areas of old, empty and derelict buildings interspersed by vacant building lots, so don't expect a lot by way of views from your room. I suspect that the landscape will be different in 5 years when the development is complete.

The Hotel is situated about 1.5 - 2 Kms outside the City Centre, but is well served by Taxis and the Luas (think modern electric tram) which stops immediately outside the front door of the Hotel. The return adult fare from The Hotel to Abbey Street stop (just round the corner from O'Connell Street) is 3.8 Euros, so if you are going to be there for a few days it might be cheaper to buy one of the week long tickets. You can buy the tickets at the machine situated at the Luas stop outside the Hotel.

As for the Hotel itself, it is light, airy and spacious and the accommodation is fairly large in comparison to other Hotels. The rooms are all non smoking, however, the room did smell as if someone had ignored this fact, and the Balcony was like an open ashtray, and I had to ask to have the large number of cigarette ends cleared away from the floor of the balcony. Apart from that the housekeeping was efficient and unobtrusive.

On arrival, the female receptionist appeared a bit disinterested and not very friendly. I did complain to her on the second day of the stay, that my wife and I had been wakened sometime between 10pm and midnight the night before by someone hammering on the door of our room (twice). She did indicate that the corridor security tape would be reviewed, however, I never saw her on duty again and no word was left as to the outcome. The good news is that it did not happen again.

My wife and I did not eat at the Hotel, but we did use the bar on one occasion and the staff were friendly and efficient.

Would I use this Hotel again? Probably not unless I was going to an event at the O2.

GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Doric1,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the gibson hotel with us. My sincere apologies about aspects of your stay that weren't to the high standards of the hotel and thank you for letting us know. I will be sharing your feedback with the team so that we can make sure all the standards are maintained.

I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Manager On Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here on a sunday night for valentine weekend,this hotel is fabulous from the design outside to the interior inside,it has everything you could want in a modern hotel.from the moment you check there are lots of little free perks jars of sweets at check in,baskets of apples near your room,freshly made popcorn in the bar,food was lovly in the bar menu had a choice of everything but not to much to choose,ther,s also a 24 hour gym.right outside the hotel is the luas which will take to dublins capital city in less than 10 mins,or you can walk around the docklands and the ifsc area for bars and restaurants,or just do what we done and stayed in the hotel and enjoyed everything it has to offer.well worth value for money lf your looking to treat yourself and your partner to a special night in an exciting modern hotel.i have to say there are no low points to this review.will be going again.

• Stayed February 2014
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Paul S,

I was so happy to read your very kind words following your recent stay with us at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that we exceeded your expectations especially with the facilities we offer. It is this service that also makes The gibson one of the best hotels and the team we have that deliver it. I have passed on your comments to them already.

I hope that you will come and stay with us once again in the near future.

Switzerland
Reviewed 28 February 2014

As a seasoned traveller I've spent my share in business hotels in major European cities.
The Gibson is a modern, airy hotel with lots of space and room, yet manages to convey a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Staff were friendly throughout, be that at reception, when passing by or while enjoying breakfast.
The breakfast buffet wasn't overwhelming in terms of selection but decent enough, ranging from hot to cold and from savory to sweet, with excellent bread, porridge, eggs, beans, sausages, etc., croissants, fresh fruit, jogurt, juices, jam, butter, cheese, ham ... the usual.
The hotel room was really large, and the high ceiling gives it a pleasant and airy feel. I do admit that I love it when there are a lot of surfaces to spread my out my paper work and belongings.
I slept like a baby in that bed!
Free Wifi worked like a charm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Tirza11,

Thank you for this brilliant review of your stay at The gibson Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that the service you experienced was outstanding. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of the team here and I am sure they will all look forward to welcoming you back to The gibson Hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We loved the Gibson Hotel! Although not central, it was an easy tram ride into the city (10mins max) and it was such a funky, vibrant and fun hotel. We found it full of life and loved the quirky messages left on the mirror. Staff were incredibly helpful with whatever we asked them. We had a fire alarm go off in the early hours of our first morning and the staff were extremely apologetic. We felt like this hotel was great value and we would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Amanda C,

I was so glad to read your feedback following your recent stay at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed the brilliant service we provide to our guests. I am very proud that the team delivered the best levels of service to you and that we met your expectations. As always I will be passing your kind words on to our great team.

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Manager on Duty
italy
Reviewed 27 February 2014

The Gibson is not in the centre of Dublin but actually in the business area. Taxis and bus line are just in front of the main entrance and you can reach the centre also by a 20 minutes' walk. It is a modern building, mostly made of glass, with spacious, well equipped rooms, linear, bright furniture and all services, in the room and in the hotel (including the wellness area). Breakfast is richly assorted and the waiters are kind and quite quick.
The unusual touch is given by small things like the smiling receptionist shaking your hand to welcome you, the complimentary drink at the bar, flowers offered to embellish your room, funny objects placed close to the reception and interesting quotations stuck to your bathroom mirror every day...really "out of the ordinary hotel stuff" buy always with a kind and respectful approach. And when you leave, if you have pre-paid your room you just drop the key in the relevant box and leave the hotel in 1 minute.
I would recommend it if you do not have to stay in downtown Dublin and want to experiment something new, with all the services.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear roseglobe

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at The gibson Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed all the smaller details we take pride in offering our guests. As I always do I have passed on your lovely words to the team who take so much pride in ensuring that all of our guests only receive the very best in service.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the gibson again soon.

Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Having read the positive reviews, we booked the Gibson for a 4 night stay.

My first impression was of a big, bright, modern hotel. The location is dreadful....don't bother looking out the window as all you will see are run down industrial buildings and cleared land!

We specifically asked for a non smoking room - seems, however, that such a room does not actually exist. Once the air freshener cleared on the day we checked in, all I could smell was cigarette smoke in our room. We opened the door to the small balcony to take a look outside and found it littered with cigarette ends! We reported this to reception - the girl seemed nonplussed but did get it cleaned up. The smell in the room seems to me to be clinging to the soft furnishings, like the fabric head board of the bed! It all needs a good spray of Febreze!

The bed is comfy enough, but I hated the hard, feathered pillows. I kept getting stabbed by the blunt end of feathers trying to escape!

The rooms are quite big, but do not have much character. Same can be said of the bathroom. The towels are rather thin and limp!

As I said earlier, the surroundings are not great. There is a cinema next door which is like a ghost town, but if you explore closely, you will find a Costa coffee tucked away up there. A couple of streets away there is a Spar shop.

After a hard day of pounding the streets of Dublin we considered eating at the hotel, but changed our plans when we read the menu. It is rather restrictive and is fusion food. The room service menu is similar.

The Luas stops right outside and that is the one saving grace. You can be in the heart of the city in minutes.

I normally find the reception staff at a hotel to be friendly, warm and helpful and eager to equip you with maps and recommendations ..... Not so here. There didn't seem to be any real interest except in taking your money (even though we had paid in advance!)

I think I will take a chance on somewhere with a bit more character next time!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the O2 - not a great view, but better than the alternative
2 Thank Carolyn111_12
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Carolyn111_12,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the gibson hotel on your recent visit to Dublin and for sharing your experience with us. My sincere apologies your first experience of the hotel wasn't the best. I am disappointed to hear that you found cigarette ends on the balcony and the room to be smokey.

All our rooms are non smoking however we offer the balcony rooms to guest that want a smoking room and I am sorry you were assigned one of these rooms. We have taken all your comments on board so thank you for bringing them to our attention.

I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back and I am sure you will enjoy your room and stay.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Mid-week visit to the Gibson Hotel in February. Having been here on two previous occasions we knew what to expect. Our room was on 5th Floor overlooking the O2, the docks and a wee bit of a view of Dublin itself. The Luas is right outside the door so it is very easy to get into the city centre - 3.80 euros return. What we didn't realise is that you can buy a ticket that does all zones, all day for about 6 euros each and we could have saved money because we made 2 trips into the city centre on the same day. Our room is very clean and spacious and nice and warm. The staff are very welcoming and the whole place is quiet and peaceful.

Room Tip: Our room was on 5th floor overlooking the O2 - not a bad view at all!
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear CoffeeRamblers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the gibson hotel with us. I am delighted to read that after your 3rd visit we are still maintaining the high standards we have set for ourselves. I do hope your visit 4th visit isn't that far away and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.