“Overnight concert stopover”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Chose this hotel for an overnight stay to watch a concert at the O2, on the Saturday night of St Patrick's Day, 2014! The hotel proximity to the O2 is excellent - just a 50m walk across a pedestrian courtyard, which means no need to factor in taxi fares and tricky travel home if you are watching a concert (add this cost onto a 'cheaper' hotel elsewhere in town). We asked for a 'smoking room' in order to be allocated one with a balcony (works everytime!).Room was available earlier than stated, we were asking to see if we could leave our bag (which we could have done) and got lucky as it was ready for us. The double room was nicely furnished - decent double bed, fridge, tea/coffee facilities (but no biccies!), bath/shower, TV, Wifi, comfy chairs and desk, plenty of different lighting, hairdryer, iron and board. Room was a decent size (room 504). If you are very picky then you might fault a few minor marks on the carpet and paintwork - but everything was clean and fresh bedding and towel wise. The hotel itself is very handy for the town as the Luas stop is directly outside the hotel, meaning you can't get lost as all trams come back to the stop! There is not much 'on the doorstep', but it makes for a quieter stay. The hotel has a nice 'quirky' ambiance - large concrete sheep reading different things each day in reception!, flowers which you can take to your own room and real plants in them, lots of outdoor seating, lovely sofas and pouffes etc. Breakfast was included in our room rate, help yourself jobbie with all the usual (you have to ask for scrambled eggs, but they arrived fresh and piping hot very speedily), some of the best croissants, pain au choc that I have had outside France, decent filter coffee, nice selection of juices, fruit, homemade porridge, cold meats and cheeses, cereals etc as well as all the usual hot selection. I would definitely use this hotel again - very friendly staff (although perhaps not so good at breakfast) and the location for me and hubbie is great.
If I was going to be mega picky I would say that the quality of the toiletries, lack of biscuits on the hospitality tray and quality of the towels (lack of wash cloth) stopped me giving a score of 5, but none of these would prevent me from using or recommending the hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'smoking' room if you want a balcony (it is a no smoking hotel) - I often do this...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hobbeshalftail
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear hobbes3469,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the gibson hotel on trip advisor, It gives me great pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you the service you experienced was outstanding. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be in a convenient location for you. I will be sure to pass on your thanks to all of the team here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The gibson Hotel.

Manager On Duty

Write a ReviewReviews (4,795)

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed one night here so that we were close to the ferry port for an early morning journey home. What a mistake to make! The situation of the hotel was good for us but would not be so suitable for exploring Dublin. Check-in was slow and we were given a room suitable for the disabled with a wet room which we did not like but accepted as we were only stopping one night. We ate in the bar area and had an enjoyable meal although the service was poorly organised. On returning to our room we found that the air-conditioning was not working. We should have complained immediately but decided we would manage by opening the door to the outside. However the room was on a terrace and we were soon disturbed by people standing and talking outside our door. We were then wary of leaving the door open knowing anyone could walk in. We spent the most uncomfortable night we have ever spent. When we reported the problem with the air-conditioning on check out in the morning the lad on reception said "sorry about that" suggesting it was a common occurrence. Having subsequently read other reviews we realise that it was. We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: One with AirCon that works!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amazeu

Dear amazeu,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the gibson hotel for your early morning journey home and for sharing your experience of the hotel on tripadvisor.

I am disappointed to read that your experience of the hotel was not desirable and that you encountered various issues during your stay. We do have various accessible rooms and the rooms are assigned accordingly on arrival so I am sorry it wasn't suitable for you.

I am sorry also that the AC in your room wasn't working properly. Again I am sorry that these issues contrived in you not enjoying your stay and I will be happy if you gave us the chance to show you the excellent service we aim to provide all our guests.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed over the weekend while attending the O2 and location, service, facilities were all 10 out of 10. We were checked in by James who was extremely welcoming and friendly, he explained all facilities and breakfast / dinner service times and each time we saw him as we passed the desk over the weekend he had a smile on his face and a friendly word of hello for us. Our room was large, well furnished and spotlessly clean with a fridge which is not always found in Irish hotels. The bathroom was, like the room, spotless and the large double shower with choice of shower head was great. I personally like the traditional head but my partner prefers the overhead version and we were both catered for. Our evening meal in the European restaurant was the only area that was a slight glitch on what was a lovely stay. We ate Friday night and the portions were meagre. The vegetarian pasta dish was ample in size an packed full of flavour but the Pave of Cod was absolutely tiny and definitely did not satisfy my partner. A simple edition of a selection of roasted chunky mediterranean veg and sweet potato which should not increase the cost of the dish would enhance the meal. Our friends ordered a burger and a chicken dish but were wise having eaten in the Gibson before to order an additional portion of chips. But surely an additional side dish should not be compulsory to ensure you leave the restaurant feeling satisfied. We ate in the bar area the following evening and the Asian food offering was absolutely fantastic with the portions hitting the spot perfectly. All in our stay was great and we will definitely be back but will be eating in the Asian side if feeling hungry.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Snudge73,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the gibson hotel on your recent visit to Dublin and the 02 Arena and for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel on trip advisor. I am happy to read that you found the location and service to be 10 out of 10. Thank you also for your constructive feedback regarding the portions in the Coda eatery.

I have passed your comments to the executive head chef as well as the food and beverage manager who are working on a new menu so perhaps on your next visit you will be able to enjoy dinner in both Coda or Hemi. I am delighted that James was welcoming and friendly, I have also shared your feed back with him and all the team here and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We only stayed one night because my husband was on business. We couldn't get over how friendly the staff all were. The front desk staff were brilliant, as were the restaurant and bar staff. They just couldn't do enough for you. Would highly recommend it and would definitely go back and stay there when we go back to Dublin. Good job everyone, well done.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear ryan r,

I am delighted to read that your recent stay at the gibson hotel was an enjoyable one and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor. All the team here always go that extra mile for all our guests and I am delighted that you experienced this first-hand.

I have shared your kind words with all the team here and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for a concert at the O2 and although I had read reviews about the hotel beforehand , I couldn't believe how close it is to the concert hall. Literally across the road! Hotel itself is lovely. Rooms spacious, beds comfy, bathroom very modern and everything was spotlessly clean. Staff were really helpful, gave us advise on using tram service into town and booked us a taxi back to airport. Tram stop is right outside hotel. Great selection for breakfast and although hotel was obviously really busy with the Beyonce gigs being on, service was excellent. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear avrilPerthshire,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the gibson hotel and for sharing your experience on trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found all the staff here very helpful. I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast the next morning and found the service to be excellent during a busy period.

I have shared your lovely comments with the team here and we all look forward to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Fresh rooms and spacious public areas. Great restaurants close to town. Spacious bathrooms. Helpful staff. Great connectivity to the airport and the centre with a tram service. Great candy at the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank duewest
GCallinan, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear duewest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the gibson hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us which I have shared with all the team here.

I hope it isn't long until we welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Loved this hotel! The rooms were an excellent size, really clean and the beds were super comfy. All the staff were really friendly and we had a lovely lunch at the restaurant as well as some very good cocktails in the evening. Breakfast was also good with plenty of choice and options of freshly made food from a menu too. The hotel is slightly further out of town than I would have liked but taxi's weren't too expensive and the tram is right outside. The hotel also has a spa onsite where you can just chill out or use the sauna, steam room, foot baths and there is even products left out to mix your own treatments. Already looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Asiafan31,

I am delighted you chose to stay with us at the gibson hotel on your visit to Dublin, thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel on trip advisor. I am delighted to read that you found all the staff to be really friendly as well as the very good cocktails in the hemi bar.

I am happy that you enjoyed breakfast in the morning and found the breakfast selection to your satisfaction. I have shared you kind comments with everyone here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.