“Good but...”

Ranked #21 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Oslo, Norway
“Good but...”
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend were in Dublin for our spring vacation. Dublin was our first stop and The Gibson Hotel our house for three days. In those three days everything was great: breakfast, room, hotel staff (everyone was really nice and friendly). The hotel is pretty new and with really beautiful room, big enough, with all comforts. They are really precise on restaurant schedule: if you arrive three or five minutes before the closing hour you can be sure that you're not going to have your breakfast. So be on time.
The location is perfect: in front of it there is a Luas stop and you can take a tram to city center (about ten minutes) every 8 minutes. If you pay attention on environment and pollution they are really well organized about reduce our footprints.
But this is the nice part.
At the end of our journey we spent another night here and it was the opposite experience of the previous one. good points for this second stay: nice staff and the hotel building. We have reserved our room months in advance and we had a connecting room with a wood door closed. We had a very early flight (6 a.m.) and we cannot sleep at all. Our "roommate" watched tv with a very loud volume until 2.45 a.m. Last point: I was a little bit sick that night so we decided to stay in our room trying to chill out before our trip. Bad idea: we waited more than one hour for room service and when they arrived they had forgotten our water. So no sleep+eating late+alarm clock at 4 a.m.... You know what I mean. I'd like to stay another time at Gibson hotel to understand which one is the real soul of this beautiful design hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank charlotte b
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear charlotte b,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that your earlier stay was enjoyable and that you found all the staff to be friendly and nice.

I am disappointed however that your return visit wasn't as memorable as your earlier one. my apologies the room next to your had their TV on during the night and also for the delay in your room service order.

I will be discussing these issues with the team and hopefully on your next visit you will enjoy the stay as much as your first one.

Kind Regards,

Evans Sarpong
assistant guest relations manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

It was my first time at Dublin. When I asked one, they gave me two. The staffs at reception and breakfast were exceptionally responsive and amazingly helpful. The hotel was located about ten minutes' reach by Luas from the hassle of the city centre. Room was very clean but was lack of a bath tub and outward view (patio view was also good and cozy!). My child loved jelly beans at the reception.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Keunoh,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay at the gibson.

I was glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay, especially the jelly-beans! I have made the Restaurant and Front of House Managers aware of your kind comments regarding the helpful friendly staff you encountered during your stay.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson soon, if so please do not hesitate to request a room with a bath for your next stay.

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at The Gibson for a couple of nights when on a city break in Dublin.

Location wise the hotel was fine, the airport shuttle stops on it's doorstep, and the trams going into the centre of town also stop right outside (two euros and about a five minute journey), fair walk from the centre once the trams stop running, but we managed to get a taxi back for under ten euros.

The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable, the fresh bottle of water each day is also a nice touch. The bathroom was lovely as well, nice walk in shower.

Staff were pleasant enough but I found it all a bit clinical, the reception wasn't overly welcoming, and it felt a bit like wandering into an office after the long journey up three escalators.

I would recommend it though, was nice not to be smack bang in the centre and I couldn't really fault the room.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paula_8181
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Paula_8181,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay in the gibson hotel. Your feedback is very important to our continuous development as it highlights the areas where we are performing well, and more importantly, areas which may require some improvement.

I was sorry to read that you felt our Recepetion area was unwelcoming, I have made the Front of House Manager aware of your experience at reception and we will work on making the area more welcoming to our guests- we are currently working on some touches to improve this.

I was however delighted to see that you found the staff friendly during your stay, that the cleanliness and spaciousness of your room was to your liking and that our location was convenient for your trip.

I hope that I will have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson in the the near future.

Ashtead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

A hotel with a sense of humour, style and charm. This new hotel is right opposite the O2 Arena in Dublin's Port district which at present is being revitalised but there's not much life here at the moment although the main town is 25 minutes' walk away. The building is fun, (first test is finding the reception which is on the third floor), I loved the life like sculpture of the Lamb reading the paper about the wool price. The rooms are generously proportioned, modern and with good facilities including free wifi. As its almost a desert outside, there are two places to eat within the hotel, the brassiere and the restaurant. The brasserie was very good with an attractive range of food, including Singapore and Asian noodles which were excellent. The only downside was the bar that served the most expensive ginger ale - which worked out at just under Euro 12 a pint. Next time I'll stick to beer. Despite that, I would return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Sarah C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your review, we appreciate all feedback that from our guests.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot in the area for now, however, the next time you visit please don't hesitate to ask our Guest Relations Team about the Luas service that stops right outside the hotel- this will bring you right into the city center in just 10 minutes.

I was so glad to read that you had fun during your stay, our sheep and pigs at reception do tend to get a lot of attention from our guests. I was also delighted to see that your enjoyed your dining experience and that the menu was to your taste.

Hopefully we have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson again soon.

Guest Relations Manger
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently along with friends. All I can say is well done to the Gibson staff and hotel. Wonderful establishment and lovely bedrooms. Breakfast was also top notch. Taxi in to temple bar was 9 euro so perfect to go out but yet not be in the hustle and bustle when you want to relax. Thanks

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear Owen H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your recent stay in the gibson.

I was so glad to read that you and your party enjoyed your stay and that the team delivered a great level of service. I'm delighted you enjoyed breakfast and that you found our location suitable for your visit to Dublin.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just returned from a long vacation ending with 4 days in Dublin. The hotel is modern and quite lovely, however, we were taken aback when we first saw the area it was in. An industrial area, with some unsightly structures and muddy land, However, I would definitely stay there again as the room was great, beds comfortable, bathroom modern with a phenomenal shower, great service and the tram and airport bus right outside the hotel.

Po at the front desk checked us in and was very helpful during our stay. He even carried our luggage out to the bus stop for us.

We had lunch is the beautiful bar area that was great. Best fish and chips I have ever had.

I found everyone to be more than helpful and courteous.

The tram was right outside the door and it was the ending spot of the red line. Runs every 15 minutes. Easy trip to downtown Dublin. About 10 minutes. A great bargain for the dollar.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the vacant lot and it was very quiet. No view but for sleep great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear lincat60,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay in the gibson hotel.

There are some areas around the hotel that aren't as pretty as others but I have to say the view over the port fro, our terrace is one of my favorites in Dublin. We now also have a beautiful original work of art, painted by our artist in residence, Fin Dac, which has completely changed the look of the vacant lot beside us, you can see some pictures of this on our Facebook page.

I was delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and that Po in particular stood out . I have made his manager aware of your lovely comments and Po was delighted to have been of assistance during your stay.

Hopefully I will have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson again soon.

Guest Relations Manger
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a lovely, modern hotel in the Docklands and at the end of the Luas line. Easy to get to/from and 5 mins. from O'Connell St. Hotel is modern and has a trendy decor. Loved the rooms, loved the bar and the Asian inspired menu is EXCELLENT! Didn't feel the need to venture out for food or drinks. I would stay here again next time we are in Dublin!

Room Tip: not sure if there is a pool or spa? Lovely view of the Wicklow mountains from the balcony of our ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Nancy W,

Many thanks for posting a review about your stay at the gibson.

I was delighted to read that you found the accommodation, decor and location to your liking and also that you enjoyed your dining experience in Hemi Bar.

Hopefully on your next visit you will have time to use our Relaxation Room which contains sauna, steam room and Japanese copper baths which you'll find on the 6th floor with some beautiful views. We also have a gym which is open 24 hours.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the gibson and thank you once again for your review.