“Unexpectedly Excellent in Many Ways”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 14 May 2014

You know when you're not familiar with a hotel name and just expect a regular hotel experience, but you're then really blown away with lots of great little aspects of a hotel stay? That summarises my stay at The Gibson for me.

Access to this hotel from the airport is fantastic. I was told by my colleague to "take the bus" from the airport and I was expecting a gruelling bus / walk / stumble journey from Dublin airport to the hotel. Not the case at all ! The bus service is only 10€ return trip and it stops directly across the road from the hotel (the O2 arena stop). Super convenient, super affordable.

I really like the public space in the hotel. We held a seminar and the meetings facilities were excellent and very well managed. My only tip is to make sure you allow PLENTY of time to check the data projector as it's located in the ceiling and you need a huge ladder (or cherry picker) to reach or adjust the lens.

Back to the public space. Fantastically fast and reliable wifi (perhaps being located so close to O2 helps?) meant that I could work in a very comfortable environment, very productively.

The lobby menu was an Asian fusion, which I wasn't expecting but again, I was pleasantly surprised. The accommodation rooms are spacious and well designed, nothing to fault there.

Food tip: the soft shell crab and shrimp salad was deliciously complemented by the Stonewell cider (photos below).

Any bad marks? Just one. They ran out of a lovely craft cider (Stonewell Medium Dry Irish Craft Cider) but that means I'll have a good reason to stay at the Gibson next time I'm in Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor mean you can get to your room easily without waiting for a lift / elevator...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Emufi,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Dublin and for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you were pleasantly surprised with the hotel, the service and all the facilities.

I agree that the hotel is in a great location easily accessible by bus from the airport and a short Luas ride into town. I am happy to read that you made good use of the hi-speed Wi-Fi during your stay.

I have shared your lovely words with all the team here and we look forward to your next visit and perhaps we will have a few more of the Stonewell cider for you.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here over Easter, and had a great experience! The hotel is off the beaten path, but there is a bus from the airport that stops there, and also a train that will take you to the city center right outside. The rooms were very nice, and quite large. The hotel is very nice, and for the price it was a great option! I would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MMM2591,

I am happy you chose to stay with us during the Easter holidays and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your stay on tripadvisor. I am extremely delighted to read that you had a great experience with us.

I have shared your kind words with all the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went to the Gibson for 2 nights in March 2014, saw Miranda Hart at O2. Hotel is fabulous, right opposite O2 so ideal if you are going to a concert. The bus from the airport drops you outside and there is also a tram stop which takes you to the city centre. We also enjoyed a walk along the river to the centre, took about 20 minutes. The Gibson is ultra modern, lovely rooms and good size lounge area and the staff very helpful. We ate in the hotel one night and ate out the next. We had a Thai bar meal in the hotel which was very good and the meal in No37, Dawson St, was excellent. Overall a fab location, great breakfasts too. I want to go back again. The surrounding area is still in need of further development so views from the windows could be better but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Gibson Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alexandra25,

I am delighted you chose to stay with us here at the gibson hotel on your recent trip to the O2 and thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel with us. I am happy that you found the location of the hotel to the o2 as well as its excellent transport links to your delight.

I have shared your kind words with all the team here and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Brought my other half here for the weekend as a birthday present.

Having been to Dublin before I already knew and loved it and the Gibson really made my second visit special. Very stylish, good value for money, friendly staff..... What more can I say. The room was beautiful and comfortable and the bar area was a very nice spot to relax in after a long afternoon on Temple Bar!

Probably not one for boozy weekends as a group but for couples it's fantastic.

Transport links to the city are great, I think it was about €6 a day for unlimited Luas travel, the nearest stop being right outside the front door and the city centre a short ten minute ride away.

The in room breakfast was fantastic, and the evening in room dining was decent too. I think a chap named Stuart delivered us ours and he was lovely.

Would definitely visit again and have already recommended friends. Thanks to all at The Gibson for really making our weekend one to remember!

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Sophielinley,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that the gibson made your second trip to Dublin even special and I am glad you and your partner enjoyed your stay.

It really is a credit to all the team for making all our guests feel welcome and at home. I have shred your lovely feedback with all the team and we hope it is not long until we are welcoming and your partner back.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Folks from the front desk were quite a Highlight, thankyou.
Also,it was about time to get an alternative to the Jurys Inn and Clarion up the road.

The size is a bit of a turnoff, as inside the Hotel is a bit sterile...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear FOL-1003,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the gibson hotel. Your feedback is very important to our development and helps us to see where our guests think we do well and what we need to improve.

We are working on making the reception areas of the hotel more inviting at present so hopefully if we have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson you will notice these improvements.

I was glad to read that the Front of House Team delivered excellent service during your stay- I will be sure to highlight your feedback with the team.

I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,

Clare McGreevy
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We visited the Hemisemidemi bar the day of the Leinster v Munster Rabo rugby match in the Aviva. We especially enjoyed the fact that the Munster players had chosen to stay in the Hotel over the match weekend and that we had easy access to speak with them as they made their way through the hotel getting ready to depart for the stadium. While we waited we had some food from the bar menu and some drinks. The food was tasty and served promptly. The couple of pints of Guinness I had were excellent and only we had tickets for the match I could easily have stayed on to savour a few more !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aquilicus,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about your visit to the gibson hotel.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your food and drinks and got the chance to meet some of the Munster team during your visit, a little extra excitement before what was a very exciting game!

Hopefully the next time you come to visit you can stay a little longer.

Kind regards,

Clare McGreevy
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Nice modern hotel, with spacious rooms and good breakfast. Some weird features - for example a frosted window from the bathroom into the room (and right next to the bed) which lights up the room when someone turns the bathroom light on. I chose it because I had a meeting here, and the location is certainly ok for access to the city centre - just 10 minutes on the tram. But if I had a free choice I would probably go somewhere actually in the centre itself to make life a little easier.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Ed H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the gibson hotel on tripadvisor. I am happy you found the hotel to be nice and modern as well as the spacious rooms and nice breakfast. I have shared your review with all the team here and we hope you will come and visit us again soon.