“Just stopped in for a drink.”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Just stopped in for a drink.”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We popped in to the Gibson for a drink before the Eagles concert at the O2, we were made to feel very welcome even though we were not guests there. After seeing the meals brought out for other guest/customers we decided to eat there too. The food and service was excellent, The young girl who served us (didn't get her name) was beyond helpful and couldn't do enough for us, even though the place was heaving with people like us all waiting for the concert to start. Would definitely go here again.

Dear Anne M,

We really appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review about your recent visit to the gibson.

I was so glad to read that you had such an enjoyable night in Hemi Bar, I have highlighted your review with the bar manager.

Hopefully the next time you come to the gibson will be for a stay with us and you can enjoy all the hotel facilities.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Final day at the Gibson hotel Dublin. Amazing hotel with everything you need.
We stayed for 2 nights in the executive suit the gym and relaxing room is really handy and comfortable after a hard days shopping lol. Would stay here next time we come down. The buffet breakfast is great value and a lot of choices for €10. Views over the dock and O2 is a great start to the day.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Michael L,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay in the gibson.

I was so glad to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you managed to spend some time relaxing in the Relaxation Room.

I'm delighted to see that you would come back to us and I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Recently stayed here for just one night when in the city on business. The hotel is a little out of the action, but because of that its competitively priced, especially when the rooms are generally on the large side. I stayed in one of the Executive Rooms, right on the top floor, and the view was nice, overlooking the water. Some rooms overlooked the railway yards and a derelict building, so be sure to ask about the view when booking.

The bed was large, but there was one of those rubber covers on the mattress, I can’t stand those as they make me sweat so much, so that came straight off. There is a mini bar / fridge in the room, but empty, there is a vending machine in one of the hallways if you want a drink, or wander down to the bar (if you can find somebody to serve you).

Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet, all the usual stuff.

Overall the hotel was a bit bland for me, soulless, but as I say well priced. I will probably try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Belfast, UK
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'd been meaning to stay at the Gibson for some time and finally had the opportunity in late May. The hotel itself is very nice, the public areas have been well designed with some nice pieces of art and the rooms are lovely. I had the benefit of a room overlooking an enclosed garden with towering bamboo and it was really rather pleasant, more so as the offices on the other side of the courtyard seem to have fallen victim to the recent economic woes and are empty, not that I was complaining. The ability to open the sliding glass window and look down into the garden was a nice touch.

The room itself was very stylish and spotless, some clever use of space and a very nice bathroom.

Waiter service in the bar is very good although drinks are a touch pricey, however after a couple of bottles of red you don't notice. I particularly liked the bowls of salted popcorn that were freely lavished on drinkers.

My only criticism is the breakfast which wasn't awful but wasn't great either. The service was excellent but the food less so, the toast is more like warm bread and overall it didn't quite live up to expectations. The poached eggs I requested were however perfect.

Overall it was a perfectly enjoyable stay, the staff were welcoming and helpful, particularly Kim on reception and I would return.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking one of the internal gardens.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Michael H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about you stay with us at the gibson.

I was so sorry to read that your breakfast experience wasn't as you would have hoped and I have highlighted your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager. I was glad to see though that you enjoyed your poached eggs and the team at breakfast and in other areas of the hotel provided you with great service during your stay.

I was delighted that you enjoyed the view into the garden and the other features of your bedroom and I have passed your kind comments on to Kim and her manager.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson again in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at The Gibson for a weekend city break. Really fantastic modern hotel with spacious rooms. Nice attention to detail paid in the various artworks throughout the building and rooms. We had a balcony room which was great as the weather was good, it is shared but it was quiet. Courteous and friendly staff made the difference, good room service menu. I would definitely go back!

Dear cheesycurrychip,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the gibson.

I was so glad tot read that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff here really made a difference to your stay.

I'm delighted that you got to enjoy some nice weather on your balcony, the nice weather seems to be rare at present!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the gibson again soon.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband just after our wedding and it was lovely... so relaxing and the rooms were lovely... beds were very comfortable and staff were friendly... food was delicious... would recommend it to anyone... the luas was straight out side the door so getting into the centre was quick and easy...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lisa O,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay at the gibson and our congratulations on your wedding.

I was so glad to read that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us and I was especially delighted to read that you found the team here so friendly.

We look forward to the next time you come to stay with us.

SW Herts
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the O2 without realising just how close it was - approx 50m! The hotel was well designed, in modern style and had obviously been built just before the economic crash as the redevelopment of the docklands area has stopped, leaving the hotel stranded between derelict areas waiting to be built on and the deep blue (well, more grey) sea. However the tram which stops directly outside or taxis can get you wherever you want to go.
The welcome on arrival was really friendly which generally applies to everywhere we went in Ireland. The room (standard) was spacious and the 5th floor terrace with pseudo garden provided far reaching views (sadly of dereliction).
Breakfast was standard buffet stuff - filling but not hugely appealing. Having a chef to do fresh eggs etc would probably be impractical in view of numbers of residents but I may have paid extra for that in some kind of premium breakfast room.
I would also suggest that the receptionist, at check in, should advise concert goers to reserve a table for a pre-concert meal as we had to queue for 20 minutes and then worried about being served in time for the show. As it happened, the service was super fast. I guess the meals were virtually plated before being ordered!
In summary - a great hotel, spacious rooms, friendly helpful service, brilliant for the O2 but due to the economic downturn isolated in a derelict wasteland. Nevertheless would certainly return if doing the aged rocker thing again! (The Eagles were as per their records - nothing more nothing less)

Room Tip: 5th floor with "garden" terrace
Dear Tom_Traveller_7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay in the gibson.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I trust that you had a good night at the concert!

Sadly we are surrounded by some derelict sites at present however some of our rooms do afford better views over the port, feel free to request a better view on your next visit. I have highlighted your feedback regarding breakfast on to our Food and Beverage Manager and please be aware for any future stays that we do offer a selection of different eggs which are cooked to order in the kitchen.

Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back to the gibson in the future when there might have been some changes to the surrounding landscape!