“Gibson Hotel: Fantastic”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #24 of 152 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at this modern, stylish hotel on a group tour. The Gibson is slightly out of the way in the Docklands area of Dublin. I think that works in its favor as its a fairly quiet location (unless there's a concert at the O2 across the street). The tram stops right outside the hotel and its a quick, easy and efficient way to get to downtown Dublin - inexpensive too. The decor is splashy and the reception area is on the 3rd floor, a decidedly different idea. there's a wonderful outdoor terrace at the third floor level you can have food or cocktails on. The room and the hotel itself were clean and slick. I think you would enjoy staying here. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peggy M
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Peggy M,

I am delighted to read that your recent group tour staying at the gibson hotel was and enjoyable one and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. All the are avid followers of tripadvisor and I am sure they will be delighted to read your kind words.

I hope we will see you back here again soon.

assistant guest relations manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,852)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I chose this hotel because it was really close to Dublin Ferry Port and I had an early ferry to catch on the way back. When we arrived the Eagles were playing at the O2 and the car park was full, but when I mentioned I was booked into the Gibson they managed to squeeze us in. The Gibson has its own section in the car park. We kept the car in there and paid 14 euros a day which sounds a lot but we needed somewhere secure for the car and we were going to explore Dublin by tram which was very conveniently situated right outside the hotel. We could see from the hotel lift if there was a tram waiting. Breakfast was excellent, didn't use many other facilities, tended to eat out. Staff were very helpful. On the theme of the Eagles - Hotel California was playing as we left the car park..... and they did let us leave!

Room Tip: Car park lift only goes up to level 3 (reception). If on level 4 or above you'll have to take 2...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just stayed at the Gibson (july) and felt compelled to write a review. Everything about this hotel was fantastic. My wife and I were so impressed. Room, staff, food were all excellent. Carparking was very convenient, checkin was quick and lady made us feel very welcome. Everything about the hotel is very trendy. Although a little out of the city centre (10min walk) the tram stops right outside front of hotel and leaves every 10mins. Breakfast was lovely and we also had dinner in the Coda restaurant which was fantastic. In a nutshell we could not fault this hotel or our stay in it, we will certainly be back and would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in Dublin if they want a trendy hotel with a bit of class.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the river is recommended
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamesX29

Dear JamesX29,

I am delighted you and your wife chose to stay with us here at the gibson hotel and I want to thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. It is fantastic to read such positive words about the hotel and the team that delivers it. On behalf of everyone here thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for two nights on March 2014. We've enjoyed our time at The Gibson: the bedroom was well equipped, nice bed, an inner "yard" to grab some fresh air or enjoy a smoke; it was really clean. We hadn't had the chance to eat at the hotel, we preferred to dine outside, but the menu looked good. The receptionist (Steve was his name, I think) helped us choosing a restaurant and a pub for our last night there, a really nice choice; also, the environment is absolutely hilarious, as you might encounter some (fake) sheeps reading a newspaper or the reception welcoming you with a jar filled with sweet beans and bon-bons; great modern-art hotel. The location is great: the Luas (tramway) begins at the very entrance of the hotel and you can be at the city centre in just 10 minutes, that was a huge highlight. It's located in front of the O2 Stadium for those who like sports or music shows. The only downside would be the cost for the night, but since Dublin is so much expensive than other cities, I think it was fair enough.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Be aware of rooms with different views at the hotel. Some rooms have ugly views. We were lucky thanks to our homework. ;-) We were puzzled with a lack of wine bottle in the guest room because we booked a room that included a wine bottle for our romantic night. We ended up with a whip cake instead of a wine bottle. :-( Obviously, the hotel preferred us to skip a romantic night at their hotel. There was one disappointment. We did not have a chance to have a breakfast at their hotel since they did not invite us or did not offer it to us. Anyway, the room was lovely and quiet. The hotel is in a good location for convenience in order to access directly from/to an international airport. The hotel is not far away from the airport so we took express taxi at midnight since bus service was shut down after 11pm. We did choose the hotel because of the direct access from/to airport (bus T1 OR T2 or Airlink bus), curiosity about the new location, and artsy style of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BizVisitor
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very friendly. The even brought me champagne when they found out I was getting ready for my wedding. They made sure they I had everything I needed. Our room was bigger than we expected. I had family stay at other hotels and there rooms were nearly as big as ours. The food wasn't bad but we only had breakfast two of the 3 mornings. I wish it was a little more centralized location but there is a tram right outside the hotel. If you have a car it is easy to get to. We even walked to a few places (the weather was beautiful). I would definitely recommend staying here if you want a bigger room, little more privacy than city center, and for the price.

• Stayed: June 2014
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Christina C,

I am delighted you chose to stay with us on your big occasion and extremely happy that your stay was an enjoyable one. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I know all the team here work extremely hard to deliver the best service possible and I am happy that you and your family expereinced this.

I have shared your kind words with all the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here with our two daughters (2&4) before catching an early boat from Dublin port. Location is brilliant for that purpose, and it's really easy to find.
The hotel is surrounded by empty blocks, which didn't bother us as it meant that it was relatively quiet.
The lady at reception was cold and unfriendly, and did not explain that they took full payment at check in - no problem, but would have been nice to be informed that this is what she was doing!
The rooms were very clean, bathrooms fine, but it was all a bit grey! Not an awful lot of character, but perfect for what we needed it for. Not a place for a romantic break for two! We had booked interconnecting rooms that were still locked when we arrived, but a lovely cleaner quickly sorted it out for me.
We were disappointed that the restaurant was closed for a private function, which was not made obvious to us at booking, but the bar was serving food. The hotel does not appear to have many younger children as guests, staff sort of ignored the children. Kids menu was ok, difficult for them to eat at low tables and sofas, and loud football match playing in the rest of the bar. Breakfast was woeful! Porridge that tasted of....I'm not actually sure, but it was disgusting, and I'm a massive porridge fan! The range of brekkie looked impressive, but the quality was very poor, and nothing for children. Breakfast was served in the main restaurant, and again, the staff at breakfast were obviously not used to children being there.
I would stay again, but only if i needed to for catching an early ferry. All in all, ok.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Roisin C,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with the tripadvisor community. I am happy to read that you found the location of the hotel to your satisfaction however I am extremely disappointed to read that you found the reception staff to be unfriendly, I have brought this up with the front office manager am sure she will be working closely with all the team to deliver excellent service.

I do hope you will see the improvement in service when you visit us again.