“Brilliant, modern hotel”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We've stayed in this hotel twice, both while going to a concert in the O2 arena. For concert-goers, this hotel is absolutely perfect - it's literally right next to the O2 so you can watch crowds gathering while having pre-drinks on the balcony overlooking the arena. The hotel is incredibly modern in every aspect - our rooms were massive during both of our stays, incredibly spacious and comfortable. There's also a speaker from the TV in the bath/shower so you can listen to music or whatever - nice little touch!

All the staff were very friendly and seemed to be good at their jobs. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the restaurant. The menu was a bit strange and it seemed like it was trying to be overly-modern and worked out to be pretty expensive. Only let-down of this otherwise brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear James D,

I am delighted to read that both your two stays with us when attending a concert at the 02 had been pleasant and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the gibson hotel with the tripadvisor community. I am very pleased that you found the service and standards to your satisfaction.

I have shared your review with all the team here and we look forward to your next visit when you are in Dublin.

assistant guest relations manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,795)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Rooms are well appointed and location is excellent.
Staff on the desk are welcoming, friendly and helpful.
What lets this hotel down badly is its restaurant - we ate there the evening we stayed at the Gibson and found the service bad and the food barely adequate - for example my wife asked to get a club sandwich (which was on the room service menu and the day menu) and was told that only the evening menu was available. Imagine our surprise when 30 minutes later a couple arrived in and pointed out to the waiter (different to that they had that it was on the room service menu. He checked with the kitchen and came back with good news (for them) that they could order from this.menu. The wait for food in our case was over 30 minutes and the food that we ordered for the kids came much later (15 minutes) than our own.and they forgot the potatoes - which came later on. The pasta dish that I ordered tasted quite bland - however my wife enjoyed what she ordered.
On another positive the breakfast (self service) the following morning was quite nice.
All in all - if you are booking this hotel for bed and breakfast I would recommend it - however for evening meals I would not. I've only taken one star off because the rest of the hotel stay was lovely - however if I were rating the restaurant on its own it would be lucky to get one star

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 123RW

Dear 123RW,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently here at the gibson hotel and for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel with the tripadvisor community. I am happy that you found our welcome for you as well as the rooms and location of the hotel to your satisfaction, however I am extremely disappointed your restaurant experience wasn't to the high standards we have set ourselves and I do hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.

I have shared your review with the management team here including the bar and restaurant managers and I am sure they will be working closely with the kitchen to ensure that all standards across the board are maintained. I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is a modern and clean hotel with all the amenities people are looking for. The rooms are spacious with comfy beds and fantastic bathrooms. The shower was wonderful! A walk in glass shower with a shelf for all your items and a ceiling level shower head. Anyone who is tall will appreciate this! Free & fast Wi-Fi. Plenty of electrical plugs in the room & plugs by mirrors (not always a given). The room overlooked an interior courtyard which gave the room a sense of greater space as well as being much quieter than typical hotel rooms. Great restaurant. Friendly & professional staff. Located right by the tram (Lous) so a car isn't needed while visiting Dublin. An added bonus was the ability to purchase a power converter out of the vending machine! Will definitely be returning to The Gibson!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Marie O,

Tank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the gibson hotel and for taking the opportunity in sharing your experience of the hotel with all the tripadvisor community. I am delighted to read that your stay was great and found all the amenities and services to your satisfaction.

I have shared your fantastic words with all the team here and we look forward to welcoming you back to the gibson again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Gibson was a strange experience for me. It is an extremely modern hotel, the experience as you walk into reception reflects that. I didn't find it welcoming on entering, although the staff were efficient.

The bedroom was fabulous - clean, and more than comfortable.

However our experience in the restaurant for dinner wasn't the best. Orders were wrong and pretty slow. The breakfast was much better from that perspective but the spread wasn't the best.

But obviously if you are attending an even in the O2 then the location couldn't be more perfect. And the stay overall is pretty good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoisinOD
ESarpong, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear RoisinOD,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the gibson hotel and for taking the opportunity in posting your experience of the hotel on tripadvisor. I am sorry to read you felt the welcoming on entering the hotel was not as you would have liked. Thank you for this feedback which I will be sharing with the management and action on plans to make arrival to the hotel more welcoming.

I do hope when you next visit you will find our welcoming to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have stayed as a single on many ocassions when on business and again stayed as a family of 6. We had interconnecting rooms which were brilliant and with amplespace unlike some hotels which are crammed.

Breakfast excellent and the front office team are just so helpful and efficient.

Overall this Hotel ticks all the boxes for me on business and for us a family. Also a good sign the front office staff are the same as before as were the waiting staff at breakfast.

best Hotel in Dublin in our honest opinion

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent as i have sated as a single, and now with my 4 children. All the rooms a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear worsley11,

I am delighted to read you have enjoyed your stays on business visits and now with your family and found that the service is maintained across the board. I am delighted that you have taken the opportunity in sharing your experience of the hotel with the tripadvisor community which I have shared with all the team here and we hope to welcome you back to the gibson again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I came over from Glasgow for my Irish friends cousins hen party which was in the hotel. The rooms were beautiful, couldn't fault them had everything you needed. The meal was amazing and staff done well considering there was a large number of us. The hotel in was amazing but most off all staff member Laura Rose was a complete asset and delight. Very friendly, helpful and a good laugh. She'll remember me as the gay Scottish guy that wanted a fork when checking in, haha. Highly recommend the hotel and will be back!

Room Tip: All amazing room, very spacious and has all you need including iron, hair dryer etc.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Paultjsmith,

I am delighted that your recent stay at the gibson hotel was an enjoyable one and that your found all the staff to be helpful in particular Laura-Rose. We are delighted to have her as part of the team here and I know she will be extremely happy that she left a great impression on you.

I want to thank you for taking the opportunity in posting your lovely review and I hope that you will come and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We chose the Gibson as we wanted a very modern hotel, and we were not disappointed. Everything was perfect, and had a great view of the port, with a cruise ship docked. We had an executive room, which was worth the extra money. Breakfast was lovely, and the staff could not have been any more helpful. It is ideally situated for the Luas, and a day ticket costs 6.40 euros

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear holidaymad47,

I am delighted we managed to achieve perfection on your recent stay at the gibson hotel and I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the hotel with the tripadvisor community. It really makes all our efforts worthwhile when our guests enjoy their stay and I have shared your fantastic review with all the team here. We all look forward to you next visit.