“A retro modern hub to unwind after town, GAA or concert”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Gibson is new in Dublin, but do not let that put you off, these guys are putting a new look on customer service. From the moment we entered this hotel, we had a welcome handover to reception by the porter, a full explanation of the hotel facilities from the receptionist standing with us on our side of the counter, a cool bedroom and bathroom (rain showers wow!) with a balcony and automated blinds, complimentary tea and coffee all day, a bar/restaurant with views that you'd forget you are in Dublin looking over Dublin port, and furniture that is different and funky. My wife and I are not fans of the ultra modern hotels, but this has positioned itself cosily between the modern and traditional style hotel.

Yes the staff have still to fine comb the nitty gritty of a new hotel, such as clearing tables, bar counters, maybe adhering a little quicker to customer tables but I promise you, the overall experience of the hotel suppresses these momentarily issues, that you will just love this hotel.

The car can be parked directly under the hotel at 14 euro per day (Hotel Rate), you are the same grounds as the O2 concert venue, city centre is sought from the luas directly outside the door for 1.60 euro, and in 7 mins you are in abbey street, the heart of Dublin city centre. We walked it twice and it was a lovely 15min flat walk. For GAA fans, Croke part is no more than 20 mins walk away (Check google map for the two locations). We had the joy of a fabulous food, knick knacks and clothes market in front of the O2 concert hall on Saturday and Sunday.

It's great, trust me. Location is perfect, away from hussle and bustle of Dublin, yet near enough to be there in 7 mins. Enjoy

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kcotter
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

Dear Kcotter,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and it is great to see such positve comments about the hotel, I have passed them on to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,824)

Reviewed 9 August 2010

This hotel has something. I have now stayed 3 times in the hotel and i really like it.
I'm not sure why i like it?

What i do like about the hotel: The rooms, the view from the Bar, the staff, the food, the location.
What i don't like about the hotel: The $5 room service tray charge is not on menu, the daily $14 carpark fee cannot be paid at reception, the bar menu needs work.

Apart from the little problems at the Gibson, i feel the management are going to sort things out to make the Gibson a real landmark hotel in Dublin.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Dear Endurance,

Thank you for your comments, it is great to see such positive comments and I have passed them on to the team. Thank you for highlighting the fact that the room service charge is not on the menu, this is an oversight on our part and we will be sure to rectify it. Car-parking can be paid at the Front Desk or added to your bill, I am not sure why this wasn't the case during your stay but I will follow up with our Front Desk Manager. Thanks again for your kind comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson in the future. If you would like any assistance with future reservations or I if I can be of any further help, do not hesitate to contact me personally at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.

Reviewed 3 August 2010

My boyfriend & I stayed here on Saturday 31 July. We arrived 6.40pm, to a very chaotic reception area. We were told (after a lengthy check-in) that our room wasn't ready. While we waited for our room, we were offered complimentary drinks & dinner. The bar was packed with nowhere to sit so we had a drink standing outside on the balcony (great views!) (after hassle from barman saying that he could not give us a complimentary drink). It was obvious that the place was understaffed - from the chaotic reception to the bar being strewn with empty pint glasses. The hotel did mention to us that they were not expecting it to be so busy - concert, rubgy, GAA matches and so on.

We decided to eat after we freshened up and got our room. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. For dinner, we asked for a table in the restaurant & were told that the restaurant was booked out for a function. So we had to eat in bar - which has a more limited menu. The food though was excellent (& complimentary!) and the service was swift (except when they forgot our drink order once and we had to ask for it). The function filled about one third of the restaurant so it could have been opened to others. They turned away a lot of people from the restaurant. There seemed to be a serious lack of organisation during our stay. It's not the staff's fault, they tried their best and were very helpful. I am not sure if this is typical for a hotel's first few weeks until it finds its 'rhythm'. But we won't be back for a while,

1  Thank HappyTraveller75_76

Dear Happy Traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I would like to apologise for the service you received during your recent stay. As I have already stated in responding to another reviewer who stayed on the same night, we were let down by poor organisation and have taken steps to ensure this doesn't happen again. Although you experienced problems during your stay it was encouraging to note that you found the staff friendly and helpful and I have passed your comments on to the team. We will be opening the restaurant in the 1st week in September, we are currently only taking group bookings which is why the facility wasn't available on that particular night. In hindsight, with the hotel so busy that evening it would have made sense to open the restaurant for that night and I apologise that this was not the case. Once again, thank you for your feedback. If you are returning to Dublin in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally ot dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie and I would be delighted to look after your reservation.

Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night while attending the Iron Maiden concert in the O2. The hotel is really modern and the bedrooms are fantastic. The only problem we had was with the food. We arrived at the bar around 5pm and took a quick look at the menu, only to find no steak, burgers, chicken (except for thai green curry) on it. Asked waiter about this only to be told that we could only order from this menus even though steak etc could be got through room service. Anyway we opted for barbeque which they were holding from 6pm as when we enquired about eating in restaurant we were told it wasn't opening until September. Lo and behold 5 mins after getting our food from barbeque table alongside us were served with burger and wedges!!!! Thought they were not on menu. Anyway after concert we returned to bar and again asked if it was possible to get some food. Again shown a page with sandwiches/dimsum and told that this was all that was available which we thought ok as it was 11pm. Again our food was served and 2 tables in our view were brought burgers/chips.
Would stay here again if we were going to the O2 for convenience but defintely hope that the food situation improves as it really spoilt our stay here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2010

Dear Shopper1Cork,

Thank you for posting your review. It is great to see such positive comments about the hotel and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I will investigate your comments about the BBQ and food menu. On the night of the concert we served a BBQ on the terrace for concert goers for their convenience, we were also serving food from our bar menu at the same time. I apologise for the fact that you were refused food from the bar menu and I will pass your comments on to our F & B Manager. Once again, thank you for making us aware of your experience. If you are planning a trip to Dublin in the future please contact me personally at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie to arrange your reservation.

Deputy General Manager.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

Fiancee and I stayed here last week. In short, this hotel is beautiful. It's new, modern, luxurious and comfortable. eg. standard double room is very spacious and has lovely view, flat screen tv, motorised blinds for window, under-bed lighting, huge shower, speaker in bathrooom, and is very stylish. The rest of the hotel, including the bar, dining area etc. is also very modern and chic.
The breakfast buffet is very comprhensive, and the luas public transport tram is directly outside the door of the hotel, making it a very convenient location for exploring dublin city.
All in all, we were very impressed with this hotel and also found it to be great value for the price we paid. We'd highly recommend this hotel, and will definitely look into staying here again on future trips to dublin.
p.s. The hotel is directly beside the O2 arena, but we didn't go to any shows while we were there.

Dear Formal6,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Congratulations on your engagement, we are thrilled you and your Fiancee enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your comments to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future, if you are returning to Dublin please do not hesitate to contact me personally at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

Reviewed 2 August 2010

We arrived at 5.00pm and waited for half an hour in a queue for one of the 3 checkins with only 2 couples in front of us. The receptionist asked for payment even though we previously paid in full through expedia, we were told that the room would be ready in 30-40 minutes so we waited for an hour in the lounge which offered complimentary tea/coffee. on our return to reception which was full of people waiting on their rooms, we were told that the room was still not ready (6.30pm) after insisting that we were given a room so that we could freshen up before the rod stewart concert at the O2 we were given a room with twin beds and not the double ordered. There was no coffee or tea making facilities in the room although there was a letter to say that coffee makers were on order. In short we received nothing but excuses for the shambles,
In fairness the reception staff tried their best when the situation was clearly out of their control, and should not have been put in that position. the fault lies squarely with the management for not ensuring that adequate resources were put in place to cope with full bookings.
On the positive side, the hotel has the potential to be one of the best in Dublin, the rooms are fantastic, modern and comfortable, once the coffee makers are in place even better.
On the negative side there is an impression that the hotel opened before it was ready or that the management seriously under estimated its potential.
Since the check out time is 12.00 over 6 hours to get rooms ready is unacceptable and negates all of the good points

1  Thank billmcl61

Dear Billmcl61,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I note your comments and can only agree that we were let down by poor organisation. We underestimated how busy we would be so soon after opening. However, we learned alot from the weekend and can guarantee that the issues you experienced will not be repeated. I'm glad you recognised, as we do, the potential of the hotel and that the staff you encountered were friendly and helpful under difficult circumstances. If you are planning a return visit to Dublin please contact me directly at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie to look after your arrangements. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

Stayed here for the iron maiden concert. It is a lovely hotel with friendly no hassel staff at the reception. The rooms are very spacious and the bathroom is massive with a walk in shower. The only problem we had was that the drain for the shower filled up too quickly and nearly went out the bathroom door. I said this to front desk and they were on it straight away. The O2 is only a few seconds walk from the hotel and the luas stops right outside the door of the hotel. which is only approx 10 min ride to O Connell street. We will Definitely be staying here again sometime soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2010

Dear Jennandpete,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and I have passed your comments on to the team. I was sorry to note that you had a problem with your shower but delighted that it was resolved imediately by our Front Desk team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future. If you require any assistance in planning your next trip do not hesitate to contact me on dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.