“Great modern hotel”
Review of The Gibson Hotel

The Gibson Hotel
Ranked #23 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Pontefract, West Yorkshire, England.
“Great modern hotel”
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I stayed in the Gibson shortly after it opened in the summer and had a mixed experience and reflected my thoughts by reviewing on this site. I have since returnedand thought it only fair that I post a further review.
I really like this hotel, it is a large modern hotel that is excellently appointed with good and attentive staff. It is situated on the Liffey next to the O2, it is slightly out of the centre but with easy access to the Luas.
My first stay was mixed because I was denied a complimentary upgrade, tea and coffee facilities were missing from all rooms and also was disallowed from watching sky sports in the bar area.
This was mostly rectified during my last stay, i was given a complimentary upgrade to a lovely room and granted a free breakfast because of my previous experience......great service......
The only negative point I would make is that I was still denied access to the TV in the bar area and instead encouraged to use the residents lounge that is situated elsewhere, unmanned and seriously lacks atmosphere. I refused and asked for a manager, after my complaints the TV screen was lowered and the football was played. For a solo traveller it is important that the TV is made available anfd helps pass the evening. I would urge the hotel to review its policy on the use of the TV and make it regularly available, on the evening in question it certain;y improved the atmosphere and more residents switched tables to watch the Football. I will return to the hotel and definitely recommend, I've recently stayed at the Westbury, the Merrion, the Brookes and the Morrison and these hotels do not come close to the Gibson!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2010
Dear Adrian48,

Thank you for your latest review, I was glad to see the issues from your last stay were rectified. I would just like to explain our policy on the TV in the bar. If there is a number of people in the bar who would like to watch a particular sporting event on our big screen we are only too delighted to oblige. However if there is one person or a small number of people who would like to watch something we ask them if they would like to watch it in our residents bar on the other side of the lobby. Here we have a flatcreen TV and couches where our residents are free to watch TV in peace. We will also serve food and drinks to this area. In this way other guests and patrons in the bar, who may have come in for something to eat or to socialise are not disturbed by the match on the big screen or the sound of the commentary coming through the speakers in the bar. As always, I assure you we have the interests of our guests at heart and we are merely trying to ensure that we look after all our guests. Once again, thank you for your feedback which I will pass on to our team. If I can be of any help to you on your next stay do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, England
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Stayed here last weekend,
perfect hotel, great staff and fabulous room.

Hotel is located in front of the Point, airport bus dropped us outside of the hotel, (if more than 2 people travelling taxi would prob be cheaper.

Hotel bar and restaurant very good value for money and staff once again very accommodating.

Note there is a large SPAR convenience store on the next block if turn right when leaving the hotel.

We will deff be coming back.

Dear Jimroger17767,

We are delighted to be your 'New Dublin Hotel.' Thank you for your comments on our staff which I will pass on to the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel. If I can help you in any way with future trips to Dublin please do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.

Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2010

This is a new hotel right next to the 02 arena and it has the Luas tram line to the city centre right outside. Very modern but lacks some personal touches, food and drink expensive, car parking under hotel. Well furnished and comfortable.

Dear Frandis,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback which I will pass on to our team. At the Gibson our number one priority is to provide a personable and friendly service, I was very disappointed to note that you felt the hotel lacked the personal touch. We also pride ourselves on giving great value for money and our food and drink are priced to reflect this with prices much lower than other hotels in Dublin. Once again, thank you for your feedback, if you would like to get in contact with me to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact me personally at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel.

Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Stayed here after seeing Arcade FIre n the O2. It is so convenient rather than that terribe long walk into town or looking for taxis, or paying €10/hr parking here. Best option is to stay here!
Great for before concert food and drinks, and after concert drinks

Dear Snoodiemctockish,

Thanks for the review, we heard that the Arcade Fire gig was super. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your kind comments which I will pass onto the team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson next time you are going to a concert. If you are returning to the Gibson be sure and drop me a line at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie and I would be delighted to assist you.

Deputy General Manager.
London
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Large hotel in with clean and well-equipped rooms and bathroom. Friendly assistance at reception, though breakfast service was incredibly slow - they even advertise in the lift that you should get down there before 9am due to 'demand' ! It's in the docklands area so perfect location for the O2 and 10 mins walk from the new conference centre but a 20 minute walk before you get near the centre of town - or there's a Luas tram stop outside.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dminihane, Manager at The Gibson Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2010
Dear LondonOiseau,

Thank you for staying at the Gibson Hotel and thanks also for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Breakfast can get busy at times especially on Sunday mornings when everybody likes to have a lie in and come down for a late breakfast. We do put a notice up in our lifts on a Saturday evening just to let people know that the busy periods are between 10-11am and that between these times there may be a short wait for a table. Thanks once again for leaving your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Gibson Hotel in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me on dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie if you require any assistance with future reservations.

Dublin
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I spent one night here in November thoroughly enjoyed it. It was part of a package to go to a concert and included dinner, bed and breakfast. The Gibson has modern, well-appointed and spacious rooms that open out on to courtyards. The staff were friendly and helpful. Dinner and breakfast were very tasty and were complemented by a great view over the Docklands and the Point Village. The Luas tram system is literally at the front door to the hotel, otherwise it is about a twenty to thirty minute walk to the city centre. I am unsure what the price was as this was paid for by someone else. It is a four star so everything seems quite impressive but not out of this world. My only complaint is that there were long queues when checking in and out. I will definitely stop by again for food and a few drinks the next time I am in that part of the city.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DahveedL
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Stayed here for one night recently when we went to see Andrea Bocelli. Ideal location just a few yards from the entrance to the O2. The room was very modern, very comfortable and quite spacious. All the staff were very friendly and helpful during our stay, breakfast is to be recommended. Will return.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Munster-Fancork,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us a the Gibson. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the feedback which I will pass on the the team. We look forward to welcoming you back on your return. If there is anything I can help you with at any stage please do not hesitate to contact me at dminihane@thegibsonhotel.ie.