“Good food, terrible service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moloughney's Restaurant

Moloughney's Restaurant
Ranked #334 of 2,527 Restaurants in Dublin
Cuisines: Irish, European, Contemporary
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dublin, Ireland
“Good food, terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Visited here with friends in June 2014. Food was very good as usual, but one of the group fell on a very greasy part of the floor while going to the loo. She badly bruised her knee and tore a hole in a brand new pair of white trousers, her first time wearing them. The waiter was trying to be helpful but said that this sometimes happens to 'old people, wearing plastic shoes'......not a helpful response to someone who is not old and who was wearing a good pair of shoes! One of the waitresses was more sympathetic and took down the details at the end of the night. However, when we phoned back the next morning this same employee was less helpful, and only with persuasion she reluctantly agreed to foot the bill for the dry cleaners. However, the trousers are destroyed - despite the best efforts of the cleaners the stain remains and the hole is visible. The cleaner said there was heavy grease and they had done the best they could. We didn't bother giving the bill to Moloughney's as the trousers are ruined. Even though the restaurant serves good food, this experience leaves a nasty taste, and I'll think twice before I ever go back. Please clean the floor properly!

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Barbara O

Dublin, Ireland
“Amazing food and brilliant service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went to Moloughney's last Friday night and had one of the best meals and experiences I've had.
Firstly I was delighted to see a sign on the wall on the way in indicating that they had a coeliac friendly menu as well as lots of healthy options available and soya milk for anyone who needed or wanted it. When I asked the waiter for the coeliac menu he informed me that they could adapt my choices to make them gluten free.
I opted to have the 2 courses for 2 people + a bottle of wine for €60 with my Dad whilst the others in the party chose starters. While we were waiting they brought down fresh bread and asked me if I would like some gluten free bread. A great start!
The starters came and they were huge - enough pate and toast to share for two if I'm honest. Whist the others were eating their starters one of the waiting staff came over and asked as two of us were medium well steaks would we like him to get the chef to start them so we didn't have a long wait after the starters. The restaurant was busy with almost every table taken and so I think this was a very attentive gesture and well appreciated.
The mains were also generous and my 10z steak was divine. Perfectly cooked and full of flavour. The sides were also beautiful and there was no problem when I asked for vegetables instead of the salad or flat mushroom option. Nobody left any food on their plates which is testament to how good the food was.
The deserts were just as good and it was difficult for some people to choose an option as they all sounded delicious. I was delighted to be able to get Morrocan Spiced Orange and Almond cake that I know is gluten free yet delicious.
Despite the fact the restaurant was busy and they were turning away people due to not having any tables, we weren't rushed and allowed to take our time chatting after the meal.
I would recommend Moloughney's to anyone in the Clontarf area but it's also worth a trip, particularly on a summers evening, from the city centre and can be followed by a sea front stroll.

Barcelona, Spain
“Gorgeous food and wine, fairly priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have eaten in Moloughneys twice in the past month. Both times I had fish and was very impressed! The restaurant is in Clontarf, so if you are staying in city centre it is best reached by taxi, dart or bus (number 130?). The atmosphere is relaxed but the staff are very professional.
For three courses with wine budget 50 euro per person. I will definitely return!

“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was in Moloughney's for the first time a few years ago for a late lunch. We went with a deal that included one or two courses each and a bottle of wine. I had the fish and my friend had the chicken, both delicious. We went with a bottle of pinot noir that was just mouth-watering. Everything was great, including the waitress, the relaxed atmosphere and the decor. Gorgeous house with stone walls and wooden windows. Really beautiful place.

I went to Moloughney's for a second time a couple of nights ago and the experience was just as wonderful. We didn't go for a deal, we just ordered starters, mains, desserts and a bottle of Spanish wine all from the regular menu. We had the chicken liver pate and the carpaccio to start -both delicious, especially the pate. Then we had the filet steak and the ribeye steak for mains -again both delicious especially the ribeye. I thought the portions of chips could have been bigger but that is very minor. Good thing, they give you options for your side dishes so you can get chips, mash or potato gratin and a few other combinations of veg. It was probably the tastiest steak I have had in a long time. For dessert we shared the chocolate caramel cake, which was lovely. It had a hint of salt which really brought out the flavours. Very nice. The wine was great too, robust enough to stand up to the steak but not overpowering. We also had cappuccinos with our dessert and they were very, very nice (lovely huge cups, rich and creamy). The bill was €100 which is not cheap but we did have excellent steaks and steak in Ireland is expensive.

One thing I appreciated was that the staff left us alone to enjoy our food. I absolutely hate it when they rush you into ordering the next dish or when they keep filling your wine glass so you finish it and have to order another bottle. I felt like we had time to enjoy everything and have a chat and enjoy our wine at our own pace. Even when we asked for desert, I said to the guy could I have a few minutes to finish up my wine and he said no prob and asked should he come back in 5, 7 or 10 mins. I loved the not being rushed factor. Clearly and experienced waiter who was the icing on the cake on an overall fantastic dinner.

Happy to recommend this place.

Dublin, Ireland
“Breakfast Nirvana in Clontarf, Co Dublin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

What a great discovery this is! I do not often find myself on the north side of Dublin early enough for breakfast but today I was attending a funeral at 11am in Raheny and so got on the Internet the night before looking for breakfast ideas for this area of the city. Up came this restaurant’s name a couple of times so I decided that I would have to give a try.

And I am very glad I did. Having had a very bad breakfast experience recently with mostly inedible food (in the Harlequin Hotel in Castlebar) I needed someplace to eat that could help restore my faith in Irish restaurateurs.

From the moment I walked into this place I knew that it was going to be special: and special it was and for all the right reasons.

At 10 am on a weekday morning this place was fairly buzzing with numbers that one does not usually encounter in a restaurant at this time of the day. There was a very mixed clientele with oldies like me and young ones with prams and well-behaved children and friends all gathered in what was a good family atmosphere. The downstairs room is large and airy. The decor is plain but in good taste with bare brick walls and a wooden floor. The tables are of mixed sizes for four or larger groups of people and the customers tended to get together at the larger table rather than sit at two separate tables. It all makes for a good social atmosphere.

Music was discrete and suited the room quite well. The staff were friendly, informative and unusually for an Irish establishment they used trays for serving and collection which made the operation more streamlined and effective and may I say it, more professional looking.

You could have the usual breakfast offerings of a fry and from what I saw around me this was a very popular option. However I was impressed to see that two varieties of pancakes were offered: you could have the US type with streaky bacon and maple syrup or you could have the thinner French-style crêpes. I tried the former. They were excellent and there was lots of everything. The bacon was freshly cooked and was light and crispy and cooked to perfection. I could not finish my pancakes as there was so much of them to eat. Together with a cup of decent Americano coffee the bill came to under €11 for a hearty meal which was really very satisfying and most welcome at this hour of the morning.

I must get in my pet gripe at this point. I was optimistic that maybe here at last could I get orange juice freshly squeezed from the fruit itself rather than being freshly poured from a container. For a place that is so very close to breakfast nirvana perhaps chef might consider adding this as a menu option. It would indeed be very welcome in this very fine establishment. Think about it please and DO surprise me on my return visit because I am sure to find some reason to come back, even if it is quite a long way from Bray!