“thought I had booked the penthouse by mistake!”
Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 June 2013

It was out last night in Ireland, so we decided to spend it at the Clarence. After a day of traveling across the countryside, we got to the hotel, were greeted by a warm, and funny, valet, who took us to our room. Once inside, I did a double-take! I thought I made a mistake and booked the penthouse, and would have to wash dishes, or something, to pay for it. But, no, it was the right room - a beautiful view of the River Liffey, with a balcony, a sitting room and a bath. Very nice accommodation, so nice, we decided to have room service and take the Dublin sunset in. Thanks to the Clarence staff, we had a very enjoyable last night in the country I hope to return to very soon.
Just Lovely!

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I hardly ever treat myself to nice hotels, so when my reservation for a B&B fell through (i.e., I forgot to actually confirm the reservation), I said "I'm going to treat myself to a nice place! Huzzah!" Since I hardly ever stay at hotels like this, I don't have much to compare it to, but I thought it was mostly very nice. I knew it was categorized more as "boutique" than "luxury," so I wasn't expecting the palace.

The room was small but comfortable (pillows were perfect for my picky self), although very warm the first night. (Thanks for providing a fan - it helped a lot!) The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and I had a nice time having a drink in the Octagon Bar with a friend.

I knew staying in Temple Bar ran the risk of being noisy, but I figured since The Clarence was a bit farther down, it might be better. Alas, there was a bar with an outdoor terrace right below my room. I was nervous about the noise, but with the windows closed, the voices below were silenced. .... but then the dance music started at 11 pm. Oh well. It was worth it for the convenient location.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Wish we were there every weekend!
My husband and I have stayed here twice now. Once for Our honeymoon, then again for our Anniversary.
it is absolutely amazing!
So clean, friendly staff, and PERFECT location!
If you like to go out at night you are in the perfect spot!

Room Tip: Can be a bit noisy considering the location. Get a room with a view of the river, it will be much qu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Just returned from having our wedding in Dublin at the Clarence. We booked everything online and communicated via email so we were apprehensive. Once we got there, the staff was amazing, friendly, helpful. Mary, the events coordinator, helped us make all our dreams come true. The staff service was first class. The food was served perfect to order and on time. The tables and rooms were arranged with plenty of space for guests to mingle. Flowers were everywhere. We could not have hoped for more!

Room Tip: River view rooms are quiet and have a nice breeze in the summer. No direct sunlight since the rooms...
Reviewed 30 May 2013

There have been some varying reviews for this hotel but from our experience there is nothing to worry about. From start to finish our stay was exemplary from service to food to our room we found all met our every wish. We stayed for one night and over the two days we had lunch, dinner and breakfast - plenty of choice and the taste and presentation were fantastic! The location can not be faulted and we had a roof top room with its own terrace which offered views cross the city. I visited with my husband and son who is 22 and we all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and we will definitley be back as soon as we can!

Room Tip: Higher floors with river view
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

From the minute we arrived the excellent service began. Our room was lovely, decor & furnishings very classy. Bathroom large & bright. Can't beat the area of town, close to all the Temple bar nightlife. Octagon bar in the lobby really the best of the local bars. If your looking for a great experience here in Dublin, this is the place to be.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kris B
Reviewed 23 May 2013

attended a wedding here recently so the review is not necessarily about the hotel accommodations. firstly it was not a large wedding - 50 guests so one would expect the service to be first class and consistent.

Let me start with the negatives: no butter on the table, had to request butter for the bread rolls (twice)starter arrives ; artichoke hearts, hard boiled egg, tomatoes, selection of lettuces, baby new potatoes drizzled with sweet balsamic vinegar - no potatoes on my plate, had to request.

Pepper canister was empty, in fact there was not stopper in the canister so when it should have been refilled it really should have been replaced for one with a stopper. One of the waitresses came round with a pepper grinder but never came to our table, we requested some pepper from one of the other waiters but it never arrived....

A glass of white wine from the bar cost E7.00 and was not chilled properly and the wine for the toast was also not chilled.

Main course of sirloin beef was excellent, cooked to perfection and the accompanying vegetable dishes were very good. However, there was a VERY long wait between finishing starters and getting the main course.

Creme brulee with berries was very good for dessert.

Pots of tea arrived on the table. We had to request coffee and we also had to request sugar. When coffee finally arrived, it was lukewarm and very bitter as though it had been made hours previously.

Maybe it was just our table but surely basic things like butter, sugar, pepper should be on the table and should be checked regularly.

While the food was excellent, I felt the plating up was poor and that the service was quite poor also. It's a pity because it put a downer on an otherwise wonderful day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends