“5 star service”

Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
new brighton,wirral
“5 star service”
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Stayed at the Clarence overnight on 14th June. We arrived early (approx 10 am) and were told that the room would be ready at 11.30. They took our bags off us and told us that they would put them in the room for us, which was a nice touch.Upon our return we were given a guided tour of the hotel (which doesn't take long as it isn't very big !) and then shown to our room.Our room was quite small but it overlooked the Liffey .The room's decor seemed to be a little 90's but is was spotless and the beds were incredibly comfortable.we were surprised there were no tea/coffee facilities nor water.However on our return later that night water was placed at the side of our beds and the room had been serviced again.
The staff were outstanding in this hotel without being in your face.we had a bar meal in the Octagon bar and it wasn't very expensive ,(22 euros for steak) but it was really tasty and I would recommend it. The night staff are lovely, serving us drinks etc, despite the fact that the hotel ran out of all draft alcohol at midnight ! In particular was Jacob, what a pleasant man ! really hard working and nothing was too much trouble.The reception staff were lovely too. Breakfast was outstanding too.The service and the food were second to none.If you are a big eater you will love the Irish breakfast !
The location is great if you want to go to Temple bar and the shopping area behind that which was very nice.
All in all we would recommend this hotel... yes it has the feel of a church or an old school but it all adds to the atmosphere...yes the bar is expensive, but you know that when you book it.. its a treat so spoil yourself.We never saw Bono which could only be a bonus !

• Liked — the comfy beds.the staff were all great
  • Disliked — nothing really..maybe lack of tea facilities in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank shellyshoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reviewed 15 June 2008

I booked this Hotel as I wanted a bit of Luxury for 1 night for me & my partner .It is advertised as a 5**** & another thing what attracted us was that it was owned by U2 ,When we arrived we walked in & it looked miserable,hardly no pictures on the walls ,bare looking & too much wood on the floors & walls had wood panels all over.It looked like a Church ,I felt as if I needed to pray & confess my sins.The room was tine,no Tea & coffee in the room,You had to pay 22 euros for internet access & the view outsib=de the window was zilt,I have stayed at many Travel lodges ( basic ones ) they were much better than this 5 star hotel,I cannot believe it has been rated as this ,as it is no where near.I stayed at the Hilton In london b4 which was a 4 star & The Clarence did not even have a patch on it.The staff were friendly enough,but it was Miserble & dull,no telly in the lounge,it was more like an office.The dining room was again bare & misserble,However the food was nice.You would at least hink they would have some pictures of u2 up or something to brighten the place up,Get rid of the wood,I wont ever return,Ripped off .No luxury Hotel in our eyes .

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — It was not a 5 Star HOTEL it was very Basic & Dull the decor
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank martido1968
Seattle
Reviewed 27 May 2008

OK, I admit it, I chose the Clarence because I am a U2 fan. However, I would go back even if Bono and The Edge weren’t the owners. The location is perfect, very close to the hop on- hop off buses. Temple Bar pubs and restaurants are right outside your door, very convenient for walking home after enjoying the admittedly touristy spots. My room was a nice size with big windows that opened. Yes, the TV is very small, like a computer monitor. The bathroom had nice fixtures and fabulous amenities that were replaced daily. The bed was comfortable, nice linens and pillows. The room had a good size closet with a fluffy bathrobe inside. There was a frig which had mini bar items, but you could put your own things in there without being charged for picking up an item. I was very comfortable there for my 3-night stay. Now for the best part of the hotel….the staff was amazing! In particular, Jacob, the night concierge, was so helpful to me after someone spilled red wine on my white jacket. He saw me come in and immediately asked if he could assist me with it. The next morning it was cleaned and pressed and hanging outside my door with a hand written personal note. I travel extensively and this is just one example of the way the staff went out of their way to make me feel truly special and cared for. I must also give Tom at the Octagon bar a mention. He made me a cocktail called “Vertigo” and it was really good, try it and you will want more! In addition to keeping my thirst quenched, Tom was so helpful with suggesting places to go and things to see in Ireland. I told him I was planning to bring my parents to Ireland next year and he was happy to give me recommendations on where to take them when we come back. Thanks Tom! I can’t wait to come back to Ireland and will absolutely stay at the Clarence when I am in Dublin- before and after the renovations! Oh, and I had a great time walking to the U2 studio and writing on the wall. It’s fun to read all the messages from fans around the World. If you go there I am “Laurie from Seattle”. Thanks for the music and the lovely hotel!

• Liked — The fabulous staff
  • Disliked — small TV
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Savi424
Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2008

My sister and I spent 5 nights at the Clarence. It is very expensive and not really up to 5 star standards, but the location can't be beat. It is so convenient to tourist spots, the hop-on/hop-off bus, the Temple Bar scene, etc. I am sure we would have spent a lot of money on taxis if we hadn't been in such an ideal spot. The staff members are very nice and accommodating. We couldn't fault the service at all. The drawbacks we experienced, aside from the exorbitant prices, were 1. There are surcharges for everything! The internet access is pricey and room service is outrageous. When we first arrived our room was not ready. They suggested we wait in the Study area and they would bring us coffee. It seemed like a nice touch and much appreciated until we got our bill and saw the charge. Also, the room was not ready in the amount of time they promised. We waited a long time (2 hrs) when we were exhausted. In their defense, it was mid morning. 2. The hotel is showing wear and tear. It wasn't a big deal to us. 3. The noise can be an issue. We both brought earplugs and slept just fine. 4. Ask about air conditioning! Our first three nights we were in a balcony room which was very comfortable. When we returned from a trip west, we were put in a river view twin room, which was very small and had NO AC! We were not comfortable. They were able to change us back to a balcony room for our last night. Surprisingly, we weren't charged extra!
5. Airport pickup service is not worth the price. It is easy to get to and from the airport by taxi. We were even charged extra because our plane was slightly delayed. The driver (of a Lexus, not a limo) was very charming, however.

Overall, if you want luxury, stay at the Four Seasons, the Merrion, or the Shelbourne. If you want location and can afford it, the Clarence is great. Engage the staff and they will be helpful to you. They certainly aren't pushy. The Octagon Bar is expensive and not very fun. The Tea Room serves wonderful food, but it is very expensive and a little over-the-top for our tastes.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The prices
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Glendora, CA
Reviewed 15 May 2008

I went over to Ireland for St. patty's day and stayed at the Clarence. The Staff is amazingly Nice, Except for one Night Manager that i had a problem with. The prices are a little of the high side, I ordered a sandwich and a mimosa and paid 30 EURO's, I only ate breakfast at the tea room so i don't really know how good it is. The octagon bar's cocktail prices are insanely expensive but I'm a beer guy so i didn't care much. If you go to the Octagon bar, make SURE you meet Martin from the Czech Republic, hes awesome.

Oh, also meet Bernard the Irish Night Manager. Tell him Mike with the haunted hotel room sent ya, i bet he'll laugh his ass off and tell ya a pretty funny and creepy story about something that happened to me in room 308.

screw the porterhouse, go to the Oliver St John Gogarty's Pub

its right down the street that the behind the Clarence.

• Liked — the drinking age
  • Disliked — the prices
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
staffordshire england
Reviewed 23 April 2008

Stayed here for just one night. Found the staff to be very helpful, accommodation is, in some places, needing the refurb. which is planned, but generally it is very good.Breakfast was superb. Location is excellent. This place has charm and elegance! Over all, very high standards. would definitely return!

• Liked — Attentive staff & great food!
  • Disliked — Bedrooms are about ready for the coming refurb!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
dublin
Reviewed 14 April 2008

I didn't check tripadvisor on this one - big mistake.

I stayed here with some work collegues and was disappointed. All the hype about it being U2's hotel etc - what a let down.

The worse thing about this hotel is the Noise level. We were a few floors up but the noise from the back of the hotel was awful. We were woken up regularly from 1am to after 3am with people falling out of bars or clubs - and it was midweek!!

The rooms really need to be refurbished, chipped tables, worn furnishings etc. Toiletries poor, The small Television was more like a computer and very difficult to operate - It 'hummed' in the night so i had to switch it off at the mains.

However, the staff are excellent. Very welcoming and professional - i could not fault them. The restaurant on-site is lovely. They need to spend some money on the place and soundproof the windows! Very poor value for money. I'm going back accross the river to the Morrison Hotel next time.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — noisy and over-priced
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business