“Needs Some TLC”

Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Needs Some TLC”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Staff excellent - so helpful and sharp
Rooms OK but in need of an uplift- Big and spacious rooms but shabby
Location excellent
January prices acceptable but would not pay more than 100 euros for the room.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff M
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Jeff M,

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Clarence.

I am delighted that our location worked for you and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are not in any way complacent about your comments and where we can do better we surely will so please rest assured that I shall be following your comments up directly with my team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to stay with us again so I can put your concerns to rest, and thank you once again for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Mario Beeli de Belfort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Well what can I say, what a weekend we had at this hotel. From the moment we got there the staff couldn't do enough for us and this continued throughout the stay. The rooms are very nice and clean with a real cosy feel to them. I had seen some very bad comments about this hotel with noise being the main issue, well you are right in the temple bar area so you get some noise but nothing I would call a put off..

This hotel is a must if you want a good stay in dublin, good in the restaurant is excellent, bar staff are brill, and the night guy Jacob is prob one of the most helpful people you will ever meet. I can't wait to go there again with my missis.

10 out of 10 well done to all the staff there.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank maddog4490
Dear maddog4490,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review of the hotel after your recent stay.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about the Clarence Hotel.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I should have taken more seriously the negative reviews when researching Dublin hotels. They were right on the money. The location was the only aspect of the Clarence that we enjoyed; other than that we couldn't wait to get out of there. The furnishings were minimal and worn, the bathroom dirty and sadly outdated. The carpet in the hallways was stained. In general, it felt like a place poorly assembled and long overdue for an overhaul.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MacMac908
Dear MacMac908,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. We strive to not only meet but exceed our guests’ expectations and it is incredibly disappointing that we failed to do so on this occasion.

Only through comments such as yours can we constantly strive to improve our operation and thank you for taking the time to pass these on to us.

I would welcome the opportunity to have you as our guest again and if I can ever be of any assistance in the future please do let me know.

Thank you once again for your custom and your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed in The Clarence for the 3rd time on January 7th 2014 and had a lovely time. The staff were very nice and upgraded us to a balcony room which was alot bigger than their standard rooms. The room and bathroom were very clean and lovely and warm. The bed was cosy and comfortable. Could have done with extra pillows though. The mini bar was well stocked and reasonably priced for Dublin. Their restaurant Cleaver East is fantastic, its a tapas restaurant with a twist. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joanne O
Dear Joanne O,

Thank you for having chosen to stay back at The Clarence Hotel and thank you for favourably reviewing your experience on Tripadvisor.

It is truly encouraging to note that you had a wonderful stay recently at our establishment despite a couple of issues which you refer to in your review and about which I am most concerned.

I do hope that on the occasion of your next visit we will achieve a full 5 point score from you on this review site.

Thank you once again for your review of The Clarence Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for your repeat custom.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I was not impressed by the Clarence. The room was lower standard, with no extras of any kind, and quite small. The bathroom, whilst clean, looked very shabby with lots of chipped off tiles and hot water supply was not great. Staff at reception were friendly but could not give advice on the hotel restaurant, which we did not use in the end. If you book parking, be advised it is valet parking, and if you forget to take everything out of the car it is a bit of a hassle to get to it. Overall I didnt think it was worth four stars or the rather big price.The location, however, is excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Clarence.

I am delighted that our location worked for you well, nevertheless I am most disappointed to note that you experienced a far from perfect stay during your recent visit and I very much regret not having had the opportunity of resolving your dissatisfaction prior to your departure.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and we certainly hope that you will consider returning to the Clarence to restore your faith.
Thank you once again for your custom and review.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The service was brilliant, very helpful staff and when I left the hotel to catch my ferry and realised I had left £200 in the room safe, they promptly sent me it via courier for a small charge. Very helpful in keeping me updated on that too!

The room was great, everything you need - the only thing we missed when we arrived was a kettle and tea/coffee! My Mum later asked for one at reception which they gave to her (again, nice service) however, it would have been nice to have it when we arrived.

The lounge area looked cosy and although we didn't get a chance to sit in there, they did have the fire lit and it looked very inviting!

The hotel was pretty expensive when we booked - although that was last minute and in line with other 4* in the City it was expected so our fault really. Just a tip to book as early as you can!

Overall, recommended but book in advance!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Suzanne C,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Clarence Hotel and thank you for favourably reviewing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Your comments and custom are greatly appreciated by everyone here.

I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Brighton
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Was looking forward to staying in hotel as thought it would be a cool hotel based on ownership. Was so surprised when I walked in as it looked like the reception to a serviced apartment block. Whilst reception staff were highly professional, was so disappointed as zero atmosphere in the hotel during the day. Room was plain and whilst clean and functional that is probably the best way to describe it. Met in the bar before eating in the restaurant which was packed and our Christmas party set menu was fine. Staff again very professional and high quality service.

On returning to room, I did hear the noise from the courtyard (mentioned in previous reviews) but nothing like hours of drinking wine to block out noise :-)

Not sure how much the hotel cost as bill was picked up by the Irish team so unable to comment whether expensive or not

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear IainBrighton,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for having taken the time to review The Clarence Hotel on Tripadvisor.

Thank you once again for your custom and review.