“best staff ever”
Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #42 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Great hotel very nicely appointed. The staff were so kind and pleasant. Our rates were reasonable. Hotel was very clean. We had a problem with the shower head. The gentleman at the desk was very sorry that we didn't tell him earlier and said they would send someone up to fix it right away. My only Disappointment was the neighborhood. I am no crazy about Temple Bar.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the backside of hotel so you are not facing the main street. View isn't as goo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Laurie W,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review after your recent stay at the Clarence Hotel.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about your stay.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much.

Mario Beeli de Belfort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,802)

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a deluxe double room with a fold out bed for our son. The room was spatious and the bathroom was just gorgeous. Everything great quality (lots of oak) and lots of shelves and tables to put your stuff. The room was just amazing. The bed was the cosiest and most comfortable one I've ever slept in in a hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and were also really kind to our son.
The breakfast choices were not the ones we were told when booking the room and we thought €15 for buffet breakfast is a bit too much. Cleaver East has a great atmosphere though and the staff were very, very friendly there too.
The Elephant & Castle, however, is close by and has great choices of breakfast at a very reasonable price so that's where we went for breakfast for the rest of our stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear SandraKoy,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

The Clarence is one of those places that elicits hushed gasps of amazement in locals when you tell them where you're staying that builds up a sort of hype the place just about manages to live up to. It backs on to Temple Bar so for food and drinks it's literally staggering distance. The Octogan Bar in the hotel is a good enough place to start, and has a rare setup that allows a relatively large group of people to sit somewhere with a bit if atmosphere but still carry on a conversation at normal voice levels.

The room was very comfortable and the bed one of the best I've slept in in a long while. While I had the only room on the first floor and never had a problem with noise, a colleague wasn't so lucky as he overlooked the back where bar noise from outside went on until throwing out time around 3am.

Probably the only real complaint about the place was breakfast; not the food itself (which went down well) but the hour plus wait it took to come. Luckily the Irish clients we were visiting were relatively easy with our tardiness but it's the last thing you want on a business trip.

Room Tip: Request a river facing room if possible to avoid the majority of the pub crowd noise, or for somethi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear GarethR0103,

Thank you for your greatly appreciated custom and thank you for your most kind review of The Clarence Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful time while staying with us at the Clarence.

It is also wonderful to read that you loved the hotel's unbeatable central location and our comfortable rooms.

I am most disappointed to read that you experienced several issues during your recent stay and that I did not have the opportunity to resolve any of these satisfactorily prior to your departure from the hotel.

I do wish to have the opportunity of welcoming you at the Clarence in the nearer future.

I do hope that on the occasion of your next visit we will achieve a full 5 point score from you on this review site.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

A short break in Dublin was great and it was the second time that I have stayed at the Clarence. I could not fault the accomodation, the staff or the food and I did not have any problem with noise levels. I definitley would recommed the Clarence.

Room Tip: I chose a smoking room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Carmel M,

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The accommodations, overall location and staff were great. Our room however overlooked the back of a bar and being in Temple Bar district was very noisy until 4 am both Friday and Saturday nights. In hindsight we should have expected that, but didn't. My grown daughter and I overall really liked the Clarence and would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Molly D,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Clarence Hotel and thank you for favourably reviewing your experience on Tripadvisor.

It is truly encouraging to note that you had a wonderful stay recently at our establishment despite a couple of issues which you refer to in your review and about which I am most concerned.

Your comments and custom are greatly appreciated by everyone here.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

The receptionist, bar staff and night porters were all charming and friendly. It was not their fault the Octagon bar had zero atmosphere and it was not their fault the patrons from the bar next door spilled out on the street at 3am and decided to carry on with their party underneath my window for the next 45 minutes. Unfortunately the window would not open, otherwise I'd have invited the party on the pavement up to my room to make up for the disappointment of the dead Octagon bar.
Given the potential for another rude awakening from the bar next door, the mediocre room (Ikea cups and bland decor) and the difficulty in parking, I'll not be recommending this hotel to friends, family or colleagues.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river you have to put up with single glazing and traffic noise all night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank imkc
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear imkc,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Clarence Hotel.
I was disappointed to read about your stay and that we failed to meet your expectation.

Please be assured that this is not our usual 4 star standard.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced at the Clarence.

I will be personally reviewing the operations that we have in place to see how we can improve from this feedback.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing The Clarence Hotel and should you decide to return to Dublin, I would be delighted to be your point of contact and to ensure that you experience a stay of memorable comfort that proves this is not our usual standard.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Had a great break and the hotel was very quiet. Breakfast was very good and the staff helpful. Everything would have been excellent... except for the cleaner coming into the room at 7.30am..woke us up!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Mark G,

Your comments and custom are greatly appreciated by everyone here.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,