“Definitely needs a makeover”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #43 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Forest Hills, New York
“Definitely needs a makeover”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My first impression of the hotel was that it was very dated and hadn't been touched in the past decade. We had a superior double room which was on the small side. Although the room was generally clean it lacked any sense of design or style. We also faced the courtyard which was actually the outdoor patio for the dance club located in the basement of The Clarence so the view was lousy and it got noisy at night (past 2am). However, if you shut the windows then the noise was pretty well muffled. Luckily it was chilly while we were there but this would've been a huge problem as there is NO air conditioning.

Our biggest issue was probably with the bathroom. Our toilet ran the entire time and would stop only if we jiggled the handle in some unknown precise manner that we never quite figured out. I also thought the hotel was a little stingy with their towels since we never got washcloths. There were also no hooks in the bathroom or there might have been but looked like they fell off at some point and were never replaced.

Our other disappointment was with the Octagon Bar. Maybe in its heyday this bar was rockin' but the night we were there it was just pretty sad. The dated decor screamed for a makeover and made me feel like I was sitting at the bar at the Best Western in downtown Iowa. The only people there (7 of us) were guests of the hotel.

If you're just looking for a place to sleep and shower that's in a great location then this is fine. But if your expectations are any higher than that you might be a little disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the back courtyard which is directly above the outdoor patio for their dan...
1 Thank ladyninjitsu
Dear ladyninjitsu,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Clarence Dublin.

I am very disappointed to learn of your experience with us. At the Clarence we are very proud of our hotel and the service we provide to our guests and I would like to reassure you that what you experienced is certainly not consistent with our service standards or what our guests in general experience when they stay with us.

Please accept my sincerest apologies and if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Mario Beeli de Belfort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Crewe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited the Octagon bar as starting point for our night out. My wife ordered a G & T and I asked for a Scotch with Ginger ale. Since I was adding a mixer, I only wanted a blended whisky, and asked the bartended what the house scotch was, - he looked around the bottles for a few seconds, with a puzzled look on his face, and then pronounced that it was Hennessy!!
This is the first time I have been offered brandy as a whisky - ever.
I find it extremely disappointing that such an 'iconic' place in Dublin should have such poorly trained staff.
The bar manager admitted that he needed more training, saying that he had had the drinks list to 'study' for several weeks.

2 Thank Iain M
Dear Iain M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Clarence Hotel.
I was disappointed to read about your stay and that we failed to meet your expectation.

Please be assured that this is not our usual 4 star standard.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues that you experienced at the Clarence.

I will be personally reviewing the operations that we have in place to see how we can improve from this feedback.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing The Clarence Hotel and should you decide to return to Dublin. I would be delighted to be your point of contact and to ensure that you experience a stay of memorable luxury that proves this is not our usual standard.

Kind regards,

Dundalk, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A great location but too expensive.This hotel is mediocre but very central to the heart of Dublin .The rooms are boring and need revamped.The staff are probably the best thing about the hotel,they make up for all the short comings.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sheelagh M,

Thank you for your review following your visit to The Clarence.

I am delighted that our location worked for you and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are not in any way complacent about your comments and where we can do better we surely will so please rest assured that I shall be following your comments up directly with my team.

I very much regret not having had the opportunity of resolving your dissatisfaction prior to your departure.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you experienced and we certainly hope that you will consider returning to the Clarence to restore your faith.

Thank you once again for your custom and review.

Yours sincerely,

Livermore, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I am very happy that I chose to stay at the Clarence for my first trip to Dublin. The hotel feels like a home rather than a hotel. The rooms are simple in decor, clean, modern and comfortable. It is centrally located to all the key sites. The staff is very professional, friendly and accommodating. I stayed 2 nights at the hotel upon my arrival to Dublin, then left for a visit the West Coast of Ireland. They stored my luggage and upon my return had upgraded me to a larger room facing the river Liffey! It made for a perfect ending to my Ireland trip. The food in the restaurant is fantastic, unique and unforgettable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If it is a Friday or Saturday night I recommend to ask for a room that doesn't face the river. I...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Joni Z,

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review after your recent stay at the Clarence Hotel.

It goes without saying that we were genuinely delighted to read all the nice things you said about your stay.

Perhaps we will have the privilege of welcoming you back in the not too distant future and with that in mind, if we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

In the meantime and once again, thank you very much.

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The staff was very accomodating and we got an upgrade for our room, and what an upgrade ! We were on the last floor next to the penthouse and had a woonderful view on the river and the quays. Plus, the location is great, we could visit almost everything on foot and were the closest to Temple Bar

Room Tip: Room 501 and the other one next to the penthouse (503 I believe) has a wonderful view and a balcony
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Laetitia G,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to tell us of your experience with us in such detail.

I have already shared your kind words with the entire team here and they all join me in thanking you. I was delighted to read that you had time to avail of the facilities here at the Hotel and that you enjoyed them so much.

We hope it is not too long before we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again and that you will have another memorable and relaxing stay with us. Thank you again for your kind words.

Yours sincerely,

Rocky River, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Clarence is well located to enjoy the best of Dublin! You can easily find your way around the most historic parts of Dublin and everything is walkable and easy to find from here. The best part is your access to O'Connell St and Trinity University, and the theatre district, plus your right in the heart of Temple Bar- the entertainment district of Dublin!

RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Tim292,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at The Clarence Hotel Dublin and thank you for having taken the time to review your experience of our establishment on Tripadvisor.

Your opinion is important to us and your feedback is most appreciated indeed.
Comments from our guests allow us to carefully monitor and ensure the very best of standards.

I do hope that it will not be too long before I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Clarence Hotel and thank you once again for your comments and custom.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

There is nothing fancy or over the top about this hotel but it's really lovely! The staff is friendly and accommodating. The rooms are small but nicely appointed with simple, clean, modern design, but feel warm. Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Rachel A,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for your favourable review of The Clarence Hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are all delighted with your comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you once more for recommending The Clarence Hotel on Tripadvisor.