“A classic gem in Dublin.”
Review of The Clarence

The Clarence
Ranked #41 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
NY
“A classic gem in Dublin.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We traveled to Dublin on the tail end of a business trip to London for a few days of fun. This hotel was booked based on Trip Advisor reviews, and overall price.

This hotel is located right on the River Liffey, and some rooms have a view of the river. It is not located in the prime tourist areas, but if you don't mind a short walk it could work.

We arrived via the Virgin train and Irish Ferries from London, and had a small window to make the tour of the Guinness Storehouse before closing. We rushed in to drop the bags, and after a quick explanation the bellhop had our bags out of the cab and on our way with no hassle.

This is new hotel in an old building and has a warm, classic feel to it.

Note, that there is no air-conditioning in the rooms. A small floor fan was placed in my room, but I tend to keep the room cold, and the fan was not doing it for me.

There is a very nice restaurant in the hotel as well.

The staff in this hotel make the difference. We needed to keep some bags for a day after we checked out, and the staff happily did so.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a separate sitting parlor with a big tv. My room, 203 did not, but my friend's r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review of The Clarence. It's always a pleasure to read that guests have enjoyed themselves while staying with us. Thanks also for you compliments on staff here at The Clarence. We pride ourselves on the service here and reading that guests notice that is reward in itself.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2014

So this review is not to say that it's a bad hotel, it just simply was not right for me and my friend. We were of the view that the hotel would be of a high luxury standard - this is by not fault of the hotel, more our travel consultant. We requested a twin share room, we got a room with one queen sized bed in it. Lucky that my husband trusts me, as I was travelling with a male friend! So we had to share a bed! The room was very small, there was no air conditioning and the decor was dated. The area wasn't for us either, we ended up moving to another hotel which suited us better. But, we were there on the night of Pride, and I have to say that the room we had was EXTREMELY quiet, which given there were thousands of people on meters from us was pretty impressive! So I give it massive wraps for that! So depending on what you are looking for, and what budget you have, this hotel may suit you very well - it just did not suit my friend and I. That's not a bad thing - just my personal preference.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SuyinM
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thanks for posting a review of The Clarence following your stay with us at the end of June. It's a pity to read you did not enjoy your experience here with us. Feedback such as dislike of decor and no air conditioning is always valued as it means we are given ideas for areas our guests feel the hotel is most in need of change, and we gladly take that on board. We have also addressed the matter of the twin room not being provided and ensured a process is put in place to mean this does not happen again in the future.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Loved my experience at the Clarence, the room was lovely, the location is the best, but it was the amazing friendly, helpful staff that stays in mind. We traveled for 3 weeks all over Europe and hands down the service at The Clarence was by far the best. Stayed here 8 years ago and loved it, almost didn't book this time because some of the reviews made it sound like it was becoming a little shabby, but I have no idea what they could be talking about. I saw only a well run, well kept, lively hotel with exceptional staff.

Room Tip: Get a room on the quay side of the hotel to lessen the morning after clem up noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Margaret C
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thanks for such a positive review Margaret. It's great to read that you are a repeat guest and hope that your second experience with us will be encouragement to come back for a third! To read that we were your best hotel service experience from a European trip is quite something and we appreciate such kind words very much.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed in one of the suites, and had an excellent time. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were beautiful. We travelled with children, and the suite was a good choice. The two boys had their own little space within the bigger space, and that was good for privacy for both parts. They could play with their lego, and we could enjoy a bit of luxury and champagne.
Ever since I nicked a tea spoon from The Clarence, when I was 19 (due to the strong U2 link), I have wanted to stay there. And I am glad we chose to do just that on our trip around Ireland. Dublin is a beautiful city, and river view just made it all perfect.
We had ordered breakfast delivered to the room, and we weren't disappointed. The food was tasty, and the staff, like I said, were brilliantly helpful and nice.
The only regret is not spending more time... but there is always next time

Silje

Room Tip: River side view is definitely preferable, as they face away from the night life in Temple Bar.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Silje, thanks for such a lovely review of The Clarence. The staff have been told of your kind words about them and it was entirely our pleasure to take care of you and your family during your stay with us. Just like you, we look forward to the next time you have the opportunity to come stay at The Clarence and hope you enjoy that just as much, if not more!
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Ok, firstly I'm a very seasoned traveler on business, and my needs and wants are pretty small, clean room, wifi, and a good nights sleep. In of 15 years of business travel i can confirm that this hotel is worst I've stayed in bar one.

The rooms are too noisy as they back into a bar that stays open until 3-4am, so its only goof, if you want to use the room for anything that doesn't involve sleep. No proper double glazing!!!. The wifi is awful, it bounces every couple minutes making it impossible to work. Reading other reviews it clear its been like this for a long time, so clearly the management don't care.
Finally no air conditioning, making the rooms far too hot.... oh I could open a window, but no, the bar is in fully swing.

My advice, find a park bench before this place.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Carl M
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Carl, thanks for taking the time to review The Clarence Hotel following your recent stay. It's a pity to read so many negatives that impacted on your stay. While we would love to guarantee a silent night in the hotel being located in Temple Bar unfortunately means we cannot assure this in every one of our rooms. Our IT team are looking at the wifi issues you experienced and if they can replicate the issue they will certainly have it resolved. We have only recently replaved the entire wifi hardware and service provider in the hotel to combat the earlier problems you had read about, and while all our rooms are not air conditioned we try to make sure guests are comfortable during their stay by providing fans when requested. It is, as I said, a pity you did not enjoy your stay and that we were unable to resolve the issues during your stay.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 15 July 2014

On my last trip to Ireland we had drinks at the Octagon Bar. I thought that the location of the hotel would be a perfect place for my next trip, so I booked three nights at the Clarence.

The staff was superb - very friendly and eager to help. The new restaurant was surprisingly good and the beds were comfortable. It is right in the heart of Temple Bar so easy walking access to almost anywhere. But that was also the challenges.

As the hotel has no air conditioning (normal in some quaint hotels in Ireland, but not the larger ones) it was necessary to sleep with the windows open and use the supplied electrical fan. Directly below the window was a bar (I believe called "The Garage"). Right after dark it turns into a huge party complete with shouting and music. There were only two choices - keep the window open and use the fan and not sleep due to the noise, or close the window to not hear the noise and hope the fan kept us cool. We chose the second, the fan did not help and the noise continued until about 3AM.

Great location - I believe A/C may have prevented the problem.

Room Tip: Maybe facing the Liffy would be a better alternative.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JimmyTheShoe59
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Jimmy, Thanks for your recent review of The Clarence. It's good to read that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay but disappointing to read that there were aspects you did not enjoy. Noise is unfortunately something we have no direct control over when it's from a neighbouring venue and being centrally located in Temple Bar can have it's downsides such as this. While all rooms are not air conditioned, we strive to ensure guests have a comfortable stay by providing fans. It's a shame you comfort was not assured by this and gives us something that we need to review in the hotel in further attempts to ensure guests thoroughly enjoy their stay with us.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a nice hotel but for the price tag I would expect less problems. I stayed in one of the new rooms, which was lovely however...

Window in bathroom didn't open despite there apparently being no ventilation, no aircon in the room-just an electric fan pointed at the bed. Visited Dublin during a heatwave so this was quite problematic and downright sweaty.

The choice of tea/coffee in the room was poor quality-it looked like the sachets has been there for years.

While staying at the hotel I had quite a strange experience which is worthy of note: I once used the toilets on the ground floor and one of the cleaners repeatedly tried to get into my cubicle in a very aggressive manner, even though I loudly told her (confessed?) I was having a wee and she saw me walk into the cubicle just a minute before. Completely absurd and actually quite scary! I can only assume that she wanted to clean the toilet and this was her way of getting me to hurry the hell out of there...

Having said all of the above, the hotel would be very nice and possibly worth the price if the above issues were resolved and the cleaners didn't try to break in during toilet visits.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank trisarahtops84
RShanley2013, Manager at The Clarence, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review The Clarence. It's a great pity to read that you did not enjoy your stay here for the reasons mentioned. I have met with housekeeping staff to ensure the restroom issue does not arise again. Tea and coffee sachets are replaced after every stay in each room so I can assure you no sachets have been there for years, and at most would be just a few days. Air conditioning, while not present in every room, is something we are currently looking at the possibility of. Your feedback is however very much appreciated and gives us the opportunity to look at certain areas to see where or if improvements can be made.