“Fantastic!”

Ranked #43 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Minneapolis
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2009

So my wife and I stayed at the Clarence for our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier with our stay. It was obviously a special occassion and I'm sure that had something to do with our experience, but even with that said - we were consistently impressed. The service was great - they did everything they could to help us with restaurants and places to go. The hotel itself may not be luxurious in the way a Ritz may be or other brand new hotels, but everything is high quality and timeless. We've never seen a hotel with such quality craftsmanship and authentic furniture and woodwork. If you're looking for "in your face" luxury and style, this may not be your place - but if you want a place that is located perfectly on the river and temple bar and is perfect in an understated fashion - this is the best call you can make.

• Liked — Authentic and sophisticated style
  • Disliked — nothing
2 Thank gopherstateguy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

I recently stayed here . And I travel to Dublin frequently for work. The stafff are generally very rude and arrogant, and believe the hotel is still in its heydays, which was is 1996, and no renevations/changes have occured since. I complained about the very lousy and rude service I received in the empty bar, and was told, by the evening manager, not to raise my voice. Which I never did, as I am an educated person. Stay away from this hotel, unless you want to be treated badly at prime rate, try the Morrison Hotel close by in stead.

• Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank hroald
Atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

Ok, so I hate when people just out and out slam a place. It's kind of hard to take their review seriously. So, let me say the good things. The front desk staff were friendly at check in and very hepful. The lobby is clean and nice, although a bit plain. The location is great, but don't think you are going to have romantic views of the river. Our room faced an ally. The room was clean as well.

Now for the bad stuff. The room was absolutely tiny. I mean imagine two beds shoved next to each other in the center and 2 foot clearance around the sides. That was about it. The "in room computer" made a very loud whir, and I couldn't figure out how to shut it off at night. And the tub was badly stained. The room had a rather spartain feel to it, but I guess with the limited size they really couldn't add much in the way of furniture. Oh, and no coffee maker (or hot water maker) in the room. Come on, I have to have my coffee. The bed sheets were rather starchy. That's not a big deal, but not luxury hotel quality.

And did I say the room was small. I mean postage stamp size. Now before you start with the "Americans need to lose some weight" bit, let me say I have stayed in plenty of tiny rooms over the years. No problem what so ever with them. But they were in 2, 3 and 4 star hotels. You sort of expect as you move up the luxury chain, and pay more, you will get more.

There is very little luxury with this place. I was also a bit annoyed with the "pay for use" internet access. What's up with that? The website seems to imply that it is free.

So, all in all, is it a horrible place? - No. Would I stay there again? - Only if I was getting it at a bargain, otherwise there are many other places offering much more for the money. When you are choosing a place, think of this as a 3 star, and you will not be dissapointed.

ps: Ok, ok, so I could stand to lose 20 pounds. But it was still a small room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — value.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Worldly_Atlantan
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2008

I had a fantastic four day stay at The Clarence recently. The service from staff and their attention to detail made my time there really special. They remembered what I liked for breakfast in The Tea Room every morning, and the bottle of water from the turn-down crew at night was much more appreciated than a chocolate on the pillow (and a lot better for my waistline!).

The rooms themselves, while very clean and comfortable, really are in need of a revamp, but the level of service is what makes it worth the price. The location doesn't hurt either, being right in the heart of Temple Bar and walking (or stumbling) distance from everything you could want in Dublin.

• Liked — The service, drinks in the Octagon, staff.
  • Disliked — Overpriced internet access, limited wireless access.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Sonia H
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

We arrived at The Clarence after a recommendation from my husband last minute as my friend and I were leaving to head to Dublin for the marathon. He had read a review in USA today a few years back and mentioned it in passing just in case the room I found on the internet wasn't what we expected. We couldn't have been more thrilled to arrive at The Clarence after initially seeing our hotel (the North Star) and immediately knowing we were not going to stay there the 3 nights we had planned. We arrived at the front desk to enquire about the possiblity and were met with such professional and friendly staff that we immediately booked a room for two nights. The staff was so accommodating and we truly felt totally pampered and welcomed - our room was spectacular, our trip to Dublin a total success and all of the recommendations from where to get a quick bite to eat, to helping arrange for a massage after the run and booking us a rental car - were fabulous. They even surprised us with complimentary champagne upon our return to the hotel after the marathon. We simply loved every minute we spent there and I am already planning to surprise my husband with a return trip. JUST THE BEST and worth the price. STAFF was superb - shout out to Paul - just the absolute best.

• Liked — The staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank abfabusa
virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2008

We just got back from a 2 night stay at the Clarence. We were very disappointed.
Our major complaints were:
Overpriced food. I paid 20 euro for a flat diet coke, a stale croissant, burnt toast and fruit that I'm convinced came straight out of a can.
Cheap furnishings: The furniture all looked like it came from Ikea and was assembly required.
The noise factor. DO NOT expect to get sleep in this place. We stayed on a Sunday and Monday. The bar traffic does not die down until around 4 am. The bars are closed so the drunks hang out behind the hotel and are extremely loud.
The lack of cleanliness. The bathroom floor for example was filthy!
I would not recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise factor
4 Thank squeaks34
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

Very expensive for a very average hotel - even at half price!!
Nothing more than a hotel of glorified Holiday Inn standard.

Old fashioned and basic decor, uncomfortable beds, rough itchy sheets.

Breakfast nearly £50 for a couple!

Restaurant good though.

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — The price in relation to the standard of the hotel
1 Thank minky101