“Incredibly disappointing experience.”

Ranked #55 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Incredibly disappointing experience.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed in the hotel during the renovation period last September. Renovation takes time and can often be quite an eye sore, and in terms of this while it was frustrating and not the nicest to look at it couldn't be helped.
On arrival we were met by a lovely and friendly receptionist which was great. Prior to booking I had paid extra to ensure that a couple of bottles of beer and a card were left in the room as a suprise for my boyfriend. I would like to emphasize that this had been pre ordered and paid for. The room was pleasant and very business like. The cleanliness couldn't be faulted. On arriving to the room I had noticed there was no bottle opener which was no problem I just rang reception to ask for one to be brought up. However nobody came. We went out for dinner and returned around 11 ish when the night receptionists were taking over. I politely asked could a bottle opener be brought to the room or if someone could come to the room to open the bottle. The gentleman i dealt with was particularly rude and was interrogative about the bottles. I explained that I had pre-ordered items to be left in the room through the hotel. He wasn't overly convinced and now and behold no bottle opener was dropped to the room. I was quite annoyed, while I am aware that this is really just a small issue it was frustrating to be immediately judged in such a fashion simply because we were a young couple in our twenties.
During the stay the renovation work was quite loud and the builders did start rather early which wasn't ideal but understandable. I found it quite strange that the hotel stayed opening while undergoing such substantial change. On check out, there was a worker quite literally using a jack hammer to open up the group right at the reception desk at check out time. It was impossible to hear the receptionist who had to deal with me through writing on a piece of paper as it was the only way to communicate without having to shout at each other.
When going out to pay for the parking ticket, there had been a problem with the machine which on check out, nobody bothered to explain and the charge for the car park was coming up to 150 euro for a 2 night stay. Obviously this was incorrect and I therefore had to go back into the hotel where the staff were clearly not suprised about this and just said oh yeah you don't have pay that much and I was to pay them at the desk. I couldn't understand why this wasn't completed on check out.
I am aware that the hotel was in the process of changing over ownership and being newly renovated and I'm sure that it is probably lovely now. However at the time I was highly disappointed with this hotel and unfortunately wouldn't recommend the hotel to future guests.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that doesn't face onto the car park as it is very loud when bins are being co...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
DoubleTree B, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, 13 June 2016
Dear guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your review of your recent stay. We are grateful for all feedback from guests, as it gives us the opportunity to improve all aspects of our hotel and provide feedback to our team.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Road Dublin
Main Telephone : +353 ( 0) 1 6185600
Reservation Email: DTDublinHotel.Reservations@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Camrose, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had a newly renovated room. Very modern and comfortable. Absolutely loved it. Quiet, clean, excellent sleep. 30 minute walk to downtown shopping. Good pub in house with large portions for a decent price. Excellent Swedish pear cider. Delicious warm cookie on arrival. Fantastic breakfast buffet. Lovely lounge area. All round great hotel!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
DoubleTree B, Guest Relations Manager at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, 15 April 2016
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Dublin.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for many more enjoyable stays and of course some more of our famous Cookies!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have stayed in this hotel on and off since January 2012. So far this year I have clocked up about a month, and last year it was my home for about a month too. The hotel was good before the 2013 renovation, but now it's great. If anything is a problem, the staff will be eager to help.

The staff comes across as confident and empowered, and I would think it is a combination of good recruitment, training and mixing very experienced staff with new recruits. Housekeeping does an excellent job with the rooms. I must mention the guys at the Concierge and the Front Desk too. Friendly, warm and helpful people.

Walking to Grafton Street takes about 20 minutes, and the Aircoah stops right outsite the hotel.There are plenty of good places to eat less than a 10 min walk from the hotel. The canal is close which makes for a good running route (if you don't mind running in a straight line).

I have stayed a couple of nights at the Hilton next door which is good, but this DoubleTree beats it by miles.

Room Tip: High up at the front of the hotel has the best views. Lower floors have better water pressure. I lik...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon S

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for a City Break.
Got a great B and B deal.
Hilton are spending money improving the hotel and car park.
Reception staff were very helpful and welcoming
Bedrooms are ver comfortable and updated recently.
Breakfast was ok but nothing special.
We had a lovely walk into the City Centre and back - only takes 15-20 mins
Would definitely come back here.

Room Tip: Get a room away from elevator and at back of hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best regards,

DoubleTree by Hilton Burlington Road Dublin
Main Telephone : +353 ( 0) 1 6185600
Reservation Email: DTDublinHotel.Reservations@hilton.com

Valladolid, Spain
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The hotel is lovely, clean, quiet and affordable. Room is big enough and I think all is brand new or recently renewed. Only bad thing is that is a bit far from the centre and you will always need a taxi.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

PIATRA NEAMT, Romania
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This comfortable and nice hotel near the centre of Dublin made us thinking about our next trip to Dublin and we'll certainly choose this hotel. So, DoubleTree by Hilton is situated near a bus station, but not far from Stephan's Green Park (5 min. walking) and from Grafton Street (10 min. walking). This hotel has big and clean rooms, clean toilets - the hotel provides you towels, shampoo, flip-flops and lot of other things...so you don't have to bring them with you. The rooms and the hotel are quiet ... so the hotel is ideal for families with small children. And also, the gim is big and it's has a beautiful view. The staff is friendly and kind ... you don't even feel the presence of the cleaning ladies, they do their job very well with out making you feel uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Reviewed 23 April 2014

First time in Dublin, wanted to stay in a nice hotel to make our experience even better. I wish I had not paid more than my budget and had just stayed in a B&B in the centre, would have saved me around 30euros in taxis too as it is a way out of the centre of Dublin. I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone. The hotel held the IFTA awards in their hotel on the night of my stay, 5th April. We were shunted through a side door and not allowed to use the main doors. The noise from the party then kept me & my friend awake all night, it was our only night in Dublin and ruined the next day as we were so tired. They were also dragging boxes of stage equiptment out of a side door at 5am which made it even more impossible to sleep. When I told reception they treated me as if I was lying saying they had made sure guests had been placed away from the noise. I have made a complaint directly to Doubletree and have had no responce after two weeks. Disgusted in the service. Next time I will not be paying extra to stay in a nicer hotel. Such a shame.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren M
DoubleTree B, Hotel Administrator at Clayton Hotel Burlington Road, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor following your stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Dublin - Burlington Road.

We were disappointed to hear how the IFTA Awards impacted on the enjoyment of your recent stay at the Hotel. I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me directly @ jane.igoe@hilton.com with details of your recent stay (e.g. Full Name and booking method) so that we may investigate further.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,