The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
US$289
US$281
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham Dublin(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$291
Albany House(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$203
Very Good 4/5
Grand Canal Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$359
US$194
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
3,954 results
All reviewssaddle roomlord mayor's loungeheritage roomirish constitutionbeautiful hotelfive star hotelst stephensmain bargrafton streetturn down servicetrinity collegetemple barmarriottconciergeirelanddoormanluxury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2011

This was my first time in Dublin and I chose the Shelbourne with its majestic building, wonderful location, and depth of history. I was not disappointed with respect to the grounds and location. The bars and lobby are exquisitely designed and in my opinion very inviting. That said, they are very crowded with throngs of locals and tourists. I was aware from website reviews that it is a popular and often crowded place so this did not surprise me. The food was good. Room service breakfast food was good, ample and the delivery was fast. The hotel staff I interacted with was very helpful. Now for the rest of the story... Upon my arrival, I was given a room that was small, small, small, and in a smoking area despite my reservation request and my Marriott profile. I have severe allergies to smoke and the hall was blue with smoke from another room. I immediately called the front desk and they immediately reassigned me to another small room, this time with no adjacent smokers. When I asked to pay for an upgrade, I was told they were sold out. Thank goodness I didn't stay there longer than a day. It would have been intolerable. I have no idea what the other rooms in the hotel are like but I would not return to this hotel unless I was able to get a larger room with a guarantee of non smoking.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Dear worldtraveler4971

Many thanks for your feedback that you provided us with via TripAdvisor website.

All the comments by our Guests are taken very seriously by our senior management and allow us to constantly to improve the standard of service we provide here at The Shelbourne.

Yet, I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and therefore wish to ask you to contact me directly for any future reservations and I will be more than delighted to offer my personal assistance in making arrangements.

Once again thank you for taking the time and sharing your thoughts with us.

Wishing you a good weekend.

With kind regards,

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@reinaissancehotels.com
THE SHELBOURNE DUBLIN, A RENAISSANCE HOTEL | 27 St Stephen’s Green | Dublin 2 | Ireland

Reviewed 2 June 2011

This hotel seems to be all about the reception rooms and joe bloggs off the street than guests.

Reception is out teh back of the hotel.
Executive lounge is not disappointing but a joke, from being impossible to find to be poorly equipt, staffed and drinks are not complimentary!! Never seen that before.
You need bread crumbs to find your rooms its such a maze.
My newspaper arrived while I was out (Left the room at 1100and came back at 1600)

Stay at the Merrion or Westin and have a drink in the shelbourne where there priority seems to lie!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JaiJai30
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Dear JaiJai30

Greetings from The Shelbourne Hotel.

I am saddened that you had such a disappointing experience in our Hotel. I am aware that we cannot reverse it now, but maybe you wish to contact me directly so that we can discuss the issues you have raised in your review in detail.

We do value your feedback as it allows us to instantly address the matters our Guest bring to our attention, and the same constantly improve the standard of service we provide here at The Shelbourne.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Please do contact me directly for any future reservations and I will be more than delighted to offer my personal assistance in making arrangements.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

This is a great hotel in the best location.
The service, food, atmosphere, cleanliness and decor are perfect.
Some of the rooms are quite small so do ask for a larger room!

If you dont know Dublin and you are visiting then rest assured that this hotel is in walking distance to EVERYTHING you want to see (the tour buses to the Guinness Brewery are 5 mins walk away) & the best shopping in Dublin.

Parking would be expensive so rent a car AFTER your visit to Dublin if you are taking other parts of Ireland or pick it up from the city centre as you depart.

The 'aircoach' to/from the airport stops outside the door. It costs about €12 return so be sure to take that.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very small so ask for larger!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Dear ElayneL

Greetings from The Shelbourne.

Many thanks for this fantastic review of our Hotel that you posted on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you fully enjoyed your stay in our Hotel. It is great that you found "The service, food, atmosphere, cleanliness and decor", to use your own wording, "perfect".

I will definitely make sure that your kind comments reach our Shelbourne Team!

Many thanks once again!

Reviewed 21 May 2011

The grand hotel overlooking St. Stephen's Green is a perfect spot to take in this great city. Everything is within walking distance and the Shelbourne provides the right amount of papering and prestige for its guests. Renaissance style rooms with all the usual ammenities, comfy beds and quiet surroundings. Opulant public spaces, lounge for afternoon tea and attentive staff to address your needs. You're close to shops on Grafton Street, restaurants on Dawson Street and an easy walk to Dublin Castle, St. Patricks and the Liffey River sites. You too can call this historic landmark home during your stay in Dublin.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MCO-traveller
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2011

Dear MCO-Traveller

I was reading through our guest feedbacks this morning and I wanted to write you a quick note to thank you for your recent stay at The Shelbourne and this fantastic review of our Hotel, which you posted on the TripAdvisor!

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and we managed to make your stay truly pleasurable. Indeedd, the Hotel could not be any more central located and I am glad you were able to take advantage of what Dublin has to offer. Also, I am delighted that you complimented on our Staff. I will make sure that your kind comment reaches them.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Located in the viby part of Dublin, the Shelbourne offers a great experience. Although arriving at a very busy time (Queen Elizabeth visiting, UEFA finals and Obama to arrive over the weekend in Dublin) and the hotel abuzz, there were no queues at reception. Staff is friendly , personable and very helpful. The rooms are classic but well equiped. Overall great value for money and certainly one of my best stays this year - if not the best. There is a great bar/lunch room downstairs, and many nice resturants in the vincinity. I really recommend this one.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank CeesF
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Deas CeesF

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us, and we managed to make your stay truly memorable! Our Director of Operations had already passed these kind comments onto our Team. I am especially pleased that you were so happy with the service provided by our Team!