“Excellent service and location”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
San Clemente, California
“Excellent service and location”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We arrived at the Shelbourne at 9:00 am on a Saturday morning, exhausted after a transatlantic flight and hoping that just maybe our room would be ready so we could nap for a couple of hours. Our room was still in the process of being cleaned, so we were sent to the Lord Mayor's Lounge for a complimentary light breakfast, which was a welcome touch and perked us up enough to get on with our day. The room was ready shortly, and while very small by American standards, was equipped with everything we needed to enjoy our two night stay, most importantly a supremely comfortable bed and a powerful shower. We also appreciated the dual-voltage electrical outlets. Most of our time in Dublin was spent exploring the city, and the Shelbourne was a perfect base, within easy walking distance to many major sites as well as shopping and restaurants, and with a HoHo bus stop right across the street. Concierge recommendations were spot-on, and we were especially grateful upon returning to our room after a night out to find prosecco and sweets had been delivered in honor of our anniversary. There may be nicer (larger) hotel rooms in Dublin, but I doubt there are nicer hotels. The Shelbourne is lovely.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you had such a nice time with us. Our front service team are very aware of how tiring the trip is for our trans-Atlantic visitors and we do make every effort where possible to accommodate early arrivals. I am glad on this occassion we were able to do this for you. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our bedroom facilities, location and the front service staff. I will ensure your comments are passed on. Happy Anniversary to you and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again next year. Please contact me directly and I will be more than personally assist.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The Shelbourne is a part of Irish history--the Constitution was drafted there-- and also boasts a guest list worthy of any who's who roster!
Perfect location, across from beautiful St Stephen's Green and a very short walk to Grafton Street shopping and many other Dublin delights.
Our room (superior category) had recently been tastefuly redone, was a very comfortable size, and also had one of the few balconies available (unfortunately, no great view!) I did however chat with another guest who said her room was quite small.
A special mention for the very helpful, friendly and altogether delightful staff.
We'll be back next year!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent trip to The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much. Great efforts were made during our refurbishment to maintain as much as we could of the original structure and character of the building and it is always pleasing to hear that our customers find this to be the case. Thank you also for your very kind comments regarding our staff. I will ensure that these are passed on. When planning your holiday next year please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to personally look after you.

DXB
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed for 6 nights last month and my first impression was mostly negative - about the hotel due to the size of the room (cramped, for what my secretary said was a 'deluxe' room - whatever that meant) and more so the extremely cramped toilet/bath that would barely win in a comparison with the one on the flight I took in to Dublin.

However as I spent time in other parts of the hotel it was obvious that they had probably the BEST staff I've come across in all my travels so far. Extremely friendly, courteous and accommodating. On the two occasions that housekeeping forgot to top up my tea/coffee caddy they were extremely apologetic and went out of their way to make amends.

Other than the space issue, the accommodations themselves were extremely comfortable and well maintained. Breakfast was good, even if looking at the same menu over 6 days was not very exciting after the first 2-3 days. There's a strange windowless bar inside with a very friendly barman.

The Hotel obviously has a lot of history on its side (I met a lady whose parents had gotten engaged here about 45 years back), but I'd personally prefer more space over history.

That the hotel is extremely well located should be obvious from (1) the address and (2) all the reviews so far. You can't get a better location in Dublin (except perhaps the Westbury, but thats equivalent to living on high street).

In short, the location is great and the hotel itself is well-kept and good - what makes it VERY good is the phenomenal service from an outstanding bunch of people who work there. Would've rated excellent if I had a bit more elbow room.

Room Tip: I'm sure they have bigger rooms than the 'deluxe' 774 that I stayed in. I don't kno...
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent trip to The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback particularly regarding our staff and I will ensure this is passed on to the relevant people. As you commented, we feel our location is second to none and I'm glad that over your six days with us you found the quality of our breakfast very good. Please feel free to pass on my details to your secretary if you plan to return to Dublin for work. I will be more than happy to personally look after you.

dublin
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Just stayed . Room 350.
This hotel has everything going for it and the potential to shine .
Here is a few suggestions
1- iPhone docks in rooms ( coming soon I am told )
2 15 minute wait for breakfast belongs in a different century
3 front lobby tea room can't operate with one staff member -

This is a choice hotel - needs a bit of loving managembebt

Oh those shampoos are a disgrace - cheap and not cheerful

Bring your own unless your a doggie .

Excellent receptionist at check in

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that you liked the room at the hotel and found the receptionist who checked you in excellent. I will ensure your feedback is passed on. I can see you a local but if you have occassion to stay in the city at any point I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me directly on rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com. I would be delighted to personally look after you.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed six days in Dublin; The Shelbourne is in an excellent location. The staff were beyond accommodating and the hotel itself was quite charming. The restaurants/bar in the hotel were also well staffed and the food was quite good. Probably one of the best cheeseburgers we had and were all over Dublin! The only minor negatives I had was the lack of spa services (although I read that this is in the works), no pool, a less than superior gym, and spotty Internet access. The room we stayed in was nice, a bit small and we noticed that each time we showered, it left quite a puddle on the floor, plus there was no vent, so it remained quite steamy and slippery.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review detailing your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted that you found the hotel charming and the staff accommodating and pleasant. It is also nice to hear that you found our food of such a high quality. As you correctly mentioned a state of the art leisure facility is scheduled to open at the hotel by late Autumn. We are also currently looking at our interent service. If you have an opportunity to return to Dublin at any point in the future please contact me directly. I would be delighted to personally look after you.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We stayed at The Shelbourne our first & last nights of our vacation...absolutely stellar accommodations, service and location. We absolutely loved this hotel, 5*plus - rooms were spectacular, very clean, spacious, comfortable...and the beds were so fantastic it was like sleeping on a cloud. Location is perfect - within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and pubs. Directly across the street was St. Stephens Green, a great spot for a morning or evening stroll or run. The staff were superb right from the moment you arrive, they could not help us enough. They were so knowledgeable in providing restaurant suggestions, site-seeing recommendations, and travel directions. We had breakfast included & it offered everything you could want. The 'Horseshoe Bar' was a nice surprise...you must arrive early to get a seat but it is a nice quaint spot to meet fellow travelers. We would definitely stay here again!! A special thank you to 'Sanchez' who made us feel so special during our stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent trip to The Shelbourne Hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear such positive feedback and we are delighted that you loved the bedrooms, the location and our well known and hugely popular HorseShoe Bar. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our staff and I will ensure that your comments regarding Sachin our Bellman are passed on. If you plan to return to Dublin at any point please contact me directly. I will be more than happy to assist.

NYC
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel has charm and its very easy on the eyes, the only downfall is the rooms. The beds seem to be several years old and are too soft, we sank into it and had a pretty poor night of sleep. The location is great, right on st. stephens green, walking distance to everywhere we wanted to go. I think the hotel rooms just need to be brought forth from their 80's vibe. I will most likely look to a smaller / newer boutique hotel next time I am in Dublin.

Room Tip: I would ask for one that is not facing the interior of the building. you stare right into other peop...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that for the most part you found the hotel charming and enjoyed our central location. I am most disappointed to hear your comments regarding the mattress in your room. I will certainly ensure that this is passed on to the relevant manager to fully investigate. If you require anything further or would like to discuss your stay in more detail my e-mail address is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com