“Ireland -v- England Rugby”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have nothing but praise for this hotel. A friend and I stayed here on Sunday, 10th February 2013 and it was our first stay at the hotel. It was so busy on arrival because of the rugby and the fact that the Irish team were staying here as well. There was a wonderful 'buzz' and the staff were everywhere, very attentive and so good at their jobs. Our room was a deluxe twin and it was spacious, clean and so lovely. The beds and pillows were perfect. It was quiet and we heard very little from outside. We dined in the restaurant that night and the food was perfect. A lovely selection of all courses. It was comfortable and we received great service. Later we stayed in the residents area where there was table service of both beverages & light food. A very special thank you to Paul - Concierge, who was extremely attentive to us. I would recommend The Shelbourne as a perfect hotel for any occasion and if you are not staying - pop in for a drink or afternoon tea. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: From what I could tell - all the rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bettytrollop12
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shelbourne Hotel, A renaissance hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I am delighted to note that you fully enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you found the hotel to your satisfaction. Paul will be delighted to hear that you appreciated his service. I will pass the comments along to him.

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. Should you need any further assistance for future bookings, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be delighted to assist.

Kind regard,

JD Flynn

Write a ReviewReviews (3,819)

Reviewed 10 February 2013

Stayed here for one night in February, on a business trip to Dublin. Eating in a private dining area in the restaurant the service was excellent and the food was high quality. The room was well appointed and comfortable. Speedy check in/out too. A good choice for a good value but upper end hotel in Dublin.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel, A Renaissance Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experiences with us from the food in the restaurant to the Check-in and Check-out.

Thank you for recommending us to our future customers and for taking the time to write your review. I look forward to welcoming you back in hopefully the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

I've stayed at many Marriott's over the years, and this one rates in the top 5. Great rooms, great location, friendly staff, new health club, it has it all. The location is central, so you can walk to many restaurants and pubs once you get there. Me and my colleague were lucky enough to time this out with the managers greeting that they do once a month for frequent guests and platinum members, and it just added icing on the cake. The only problem I have with staying here is that I know the next night out is going to be an unbelievable downgrade, when I move to another town.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of The Shelbourne Hotel, A Renaissance Hotel. We were delighted to have you stay with us and I am glad to hear that we rank within your top 5 Marriott hotels.

It is with great disappointment to hear that when you leave you have to downgrade. You will have to allow me to call ahead in the future. Should you need any assistance with future bookings or requests, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be delighted to assist.

Thank you also for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on you recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

On a beautiful February Saturday afternoon a party of 8 ladies sampled the treat that is Afternoon Tea in The Shelbourne. First you select your preference of teas, lots to choose from, then the sandwiches arrive, which on first glance looked disappointing but are more than enough, egg, ham, cheese, smoked salmon...no cucumber?? More tea followed, lots of pinkies waving in the air, the tinkling of the piano in the corner, people spotting..Gabriel Byrne, Declan Kidney, the Irish Rugby Squad...very thrilling for our assembled group. Cakes then arrived beautifully displayed, warm scones with clotted cream and jam,chocolate cups, plus two others ..sinful and delicious. We left full and charmed. Great service and an experience that delivered what it promised.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of afternoon tea at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad to hear that you and your party thoroughly enjoyed the renowned Shelbourne Afternoon Tea.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel for your gathering. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

My husband and I had the opportunity of a lifetime last September traveling to Ireland. Our experience with The Shelbourne Hotel was wonderful!! The hotel is beautiful the staff were warm and welcoming. We enjoyed the resturant and bars atmosphere. I would give anything if I could remember the coffee's that were provided in the rooms they were excellent! We traveled to the Cliffs of Moher this was the highlight of our trip this is a breath taking scene!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of The Shelbourne Hotel. I am glad that the hotel is still on your mind nearly 5 months on. We were delighted to have you and your husband with us, it was our pleasure.

The coffee in each of our heritage standard rooms is Nespresso. The black capsules provided are Ristretto and I agree, they are excellent.
Should you or your family need any assistance for a future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be delighted to assist.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I don’t generally agree with posting complaints on this site however I have given the Shelbourne Hotel ample opportunity to deal with my complaint and time and time again they have shown poor service.

I visited the Shelbourne Hotel on 13/10/2012 for Afternoon Tea with three friends. The experience itself was okay but the level of service afterwards from a so called 5 star hotel was appalling.

I received a “goody bag” of the afternoon tea selection that I could not finish. When I got home my boyfriend tucked into a scone only to find a piece of wood in it (about 1.5 x 0.5).

I immediately called the hotel to notify them in case there was more elsewhere in the batch. I missed a call back a couple of days later but I returned the call and left a message. I heard nothing from them until I phoned the reception this time and was given an email address to which I sent an email outlining what had happened. Once again I heard nothing.

It was only when I emailed a second time saying how disappointed I was at the level of customer service, that I managed to speak to the Director of Food and Beverage on the phone. He started the conversation apologising for the delay in getting back to me-for which as in his own words he had no excuse for. Then further into the conversation he implied that they in fact had tried numerous times to contact me (I had no missed calls or voicemails that I hadn’t responded to).
In the end I offered to bring in the “foreign object”, which I did.

On 15/11/2012 I received an email saying that they had received the “foreign object” and would “be in touch again shortly”. Once again I have heard nothing since.

Is this really the level of 1) food and 2) customer service from a 5 star established hotel?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank T K
Reviewed 7 February 2013

A stay in this hotel is a truly worthwhile experience. The location is unbeatable, with beautiful rooms and a swimming pool. However what you are really paying for is the experience of such a beautiful hotel full of amazing history and elegance, and of course the best breakfast you are ever going to eat!!!! The reason I only gave it 4 out of 5 is because the hotel was always so busy that we could not get a table to eat dinner there or even have a nice drink at the bar!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SS1981

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the many aspects of your stay. I am disappointed to hear that you were unable to dine with us due to the large volumes of guests with us. Please contact me in advance of your next stay so that I may reserve you a nice table in our restaurant.

Thank you again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to your next stay.