“Excellent”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
“Excellent”
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

An amazing place, definitely 5 star. We stayed here as a party of 5. The service, ambience the surroundings. Everything was fab. Their attention to detail is second to none. Most definitely the place to stay in Dublin.

• Stayed November 2013
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of your experience. It was a pleasure to have you and your colleagues with us here at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you found all to your satisfaction.

Thank you for rating is so highly and for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Coast
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I would give the Shelbourne more than five stars if possible. We arrived at the Shelbourne late morning. We didn't expect our room to be ready but wanted to drop off our luggage so we could go sight seeing. While my husband was checking in I waited nearby with our luggage. A woman working at the reception desk brought me a glass of lemonade while I waited. It was just what I needed! Mirta checked us into our room. She suggested a place nearby on Grafton Street for lunch, Bewley's. It was perfect. I ate there twice during our three day stay. Throughout our stay whenever we ran into Mirta she inquired about our stay and was very helpful. I got the impression that she genuinely cared about our stay at the Shelbourne. Everyone working at the hotel was so friendly. We were upgraded to a suite that was beautiful. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was huge. Breakfast was good with many options to choose from. The hotel is located close to many attractions. The Museum of Archeology is right around the corner and worth a visit. I hope to return to Dublin soon and would not think of staying anywhere other than the Shelbourne.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It is a pleasure to read of how you enjoyed your stay from the lemonade on check-in to the service you received from Mirta. Mirta will be delighted to hear that you appreciated her service. The location of the hotel allows all our guests to be at the heart of the city and within walking distance to a lot of local attractions.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful old building in the heart of Dublin. Friendly professional service, really comfortable bed and a great nights sleep. One minor irritation was a bartender who was less than pleasant or helpful but overall this is gem and worth the money.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you found the beds especially comfortable. I will be following up with the experience you had in our bar. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing me with this feedback.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Orange Beach, Alabama, USA
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A great nights sleep was the best. The bed was so comfortable, you did not want to get up. Great hotel restaurant, and the bar was so nice. It seems to be quite the place to be. The flower arrangements were beautiful. It is a old hotel, but, has been kept up very nicely. All the amenities were excellent. Was a pleasant surprise and a wonderful staff. Location was an added bonus!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pamela L
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It was a pleasure to read how you enjoyed the comfortable beds. I will pass your kind comments about the floral arrangements to our in house florist. She will be thrilled that you enjoyed them.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I pre-requested foam pillows and a high floor (also requested early check-in if possible as I was arriving around noon). Upon check-in at noon, was told that no rooms were available - so they stored my luggage and I toured the city. Returning back to the hotel at 4:00 to get the keys to the room, it appeared that I had never stopped to check-in prior....nothing was ready, first disappointment. I was then told there isn't an executive lounge, but I would get breakfast and drink coupons (in my experience this doesn't equate to having access to an executive lounge and I would have thought a 5-star hotel in the Marriott chain would have this feature and no drink coupons were ready for me at check-in...we will bring them up later). The room was on the 4th (out of 8 floors) not exactly high, but it didn't really matter - as the room overlooked a building / alleyway nothing to see. Feather pillows were on the bed (my wife is extremely allergic to feathers) so off to the front-desk - so my 2 requests made ahead of my stay were not met (already at the never stay again and I haven't even unpacked my bags). The room was a typical Marriott room, nothing of the "splendor" that I had read in previous reviews. The next issue I had upon returning to my room after re-requesting the foam pillows - the key already didn't work in the door...back to the front desk.

Bad experience and only on the property 10 minutes.

This morning no paper delivered.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MBZV12
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read about your stay and that we failed to meet your expectation. Please be assured that this is not our usual 5 star standard. I would like to sincerely apologise for the issues that you and your partner experienced.

I will be personally reviewing the systems that we have in place to see how we can improve from this feedback. Thank you for taking the time to speak with my colleague before your departure about the experience. We are sincerely grateful that you allowed us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact me. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel and should you decide to return to Dublin. I would be delighted to be your point of contact and to ensure that you experience a stay of memorable luxury that proves this is not our usual standard.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 20 November 2013

First off, don't be put back by the crowd upon entering the lobby. The Shelbourne has two great lobby bars and the locals are here enjoying the premises. Very helpful staff at reception. My room was really nice, well decorated with high ceilings and proper trim. Furniture was in good condition. This is a Marriott property and hence, had a fantastically comfortable bed. Bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean. I would rate this property as one of the finest hotels in Dublin. A must stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheMulv
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay immensely and we are honoured that you rate us so highly. Our bars can be quite popular and between the Horseshoe bar and The No.27 Bar there is room for all.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin’s most distinguished address.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I am heading to the Shelbourne next week for a special, though quick, trip with my sister, who has never been to Dublin. I specifically picked The Shelbourne because I wanted her to have an exceptional experience from start to finish on what will be just a long weekend trip.

I reached out to JD Flynn to arrange for something special ahead of time as well as to ask for suggestions on great, "non tourist" restaurants. This was well in advance of the trip and JD responded to me immediately and made some great suggestions in addition to handling my special request. He really got it that I wanted to make this a special trip.

I travel a great deal for business and this level of responsiveness is not the norm - especially for such a short trip. To have someone address my requests immediately and make me feel like this would be the exceptional trip I really want it to be for my sister just assures me I made the right choice in picking The Shelbourne.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The team and I are looking forward to your stay. We are especially looking forward to making this a special trip for you and your sister.

If there is anything my team or I can do in advance please do not hesitate to contact me by email as we would be delighted to assist further.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin.