“The Ultimate in Irish Hospitality”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
illinois
“The Ultimate in Irish Hospitality”
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

In visiting our daughter in college we stayed at The Shelbourne. From the moment we checked in when we were offered hot cider and ginger cookies to our departure The Shelbourne was a delight. The staff were all so friendly, our stay included breakfast which was fantastic (I'm still dreaming of Irish bacon). The Horseshoe Bar poured a great pint of Guinness and the tea in Lord Mayor's Lounge was a special treat. The Christmas decorations and general feeling of good will made me feel optimistic about the human race! And I haven't even mentioned the Spa and large heated pool. Overall, a magical place, great location across from St. Stephan's Green- The Shelbourne is highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed our famous bar and the Great Guinness. Our in house florist will be delighted to read that you enjoyed the Christmas decorations around the hotel.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed in the Shelbourne for the first 3 nights of our Ireland trip. We choose it based on Trip Advisor ratings....the first place we always look. Our room and the hotel was lovely. We also ate there one night. Service was friendly and efficient in both hotel and dining room. The location is wonderful, right across from St. Stephan's Green. You can also catch the Hop On Hop Off Bus across the street. It is very walkable to visit numerous historical sites. We would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you found the hotel to be to your expectation and that you enjoyed your room. The location and its proximity to the attractions are second to none. The Hop-on Hop-off tour located on along the opposite side of the street to the hotel is quite advantageous to familiarising oneself with Dublin.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. We were delighted to host you for the start of your Irish holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Continuing bug bear I have with this hotel is this: apart from breakfast (which is very good) dining and bar facilities for residents are as good as non-existent. Reason: they are wide open to the general public and, any time I've been there, inaccessible/ unavailable for residents. So you are stuck with room service which is much too slow (presumably because all the other residents are also using it). On the plus side, staff are very friendly and the building is very nice but the facilities shortage is, in my experience, unique among five star hotels and therefore defining.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to hear that you have continued to experience this issue. I would ask that you contact me at your earliest convenience so that I may reserve a table in our restaurant on your next stay and note this on your profile for all future stays. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I would like to thank you for returning to The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to speaking with you.

Ratoath, Ireland
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I have been here for two afternoon tea's and both times I have not been disappointed. The staff are very friendly and attentive. I love the fact that you can change your tea with each course of afternoon tea which they serve in stages rather than the usual three tier. It gives you a chance to sample some of the more elusive teas that you might not see on everyday menus. It would be great if they did a chocolate afternoon tea as both times I think there was only one dessert that included chocolate flavours.

The setting is very beautiful and they always have fresh and unusual floral displays in the Lord Mayor's Lounge.

Room Tip: If you have a larger appetite, you can ask for a second serving of the first course of sandwiches.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Afternoon Tea in The Lord Mayors Lounge. The different teas are a great way to experiment with the flavours provided through the different courses on The Afternoon Tea. I will certainly pass along your comment to our Pastry chef.

Our in house florist will be delighted to note that you enjoyed her floral displays. Thank you for taking choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest regards,
Atlanta Ga
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We booked this hotel as the last night of our trip through Ireland. We began our trip in Dublin at the four seasons, and should have done our last day there. The atmosphere at the Shelbourne is wonderful and the staff is professional. It's a great place to go have oysters or dinner or drinks and just hang out. The rooms, however leave much to be desired. There is nothing luxurious about them and they are small. We saw 3 so I can say that if you want a decent room, go for a suite. Even a mid-level room is just not exciting in any way. Also, be sure to verify that your room has a view, the alternative is pitiful. The restaurant is great and we would return to the Saddle Room.

Room Tip: Suite if you need more than a matchbox, and view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed the atmosphere, the Oysters and the food. I was disappointed to learn of your experience with the room but would love to discuss this by email. Please email me at your earliest convenience should you wish to provide more information on your stay.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to hearing from you.

Belfast
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I took my little Godmother for a girls Christmas shopping trip to Dublin and there can be no better place to stay in town than the Shelbourne. The staff were so friendly, attentive and professional and we were wonderfully cossetted in the luxurious surroundings of our Heritage Room overlooking the Green. Thank you JD and all the staff, this trip will now become an annual event!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Shelbourne Hotel. I would like to sincerely thank you for your mention and that I could be at your service for your stay. I am delighted to note that you and your grandmother enjoyed your Heritage Parkview room and that you found the team that was at your service to be attentive, professional and friendly. It was our pleasure to have you and your grandmother with us.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I remain entirely at your service.
Warmest regards,
Mount Holly, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We stayed here for four nights in November. Another couple traveling with us also stayed four nights here. I am sure the staff and guests will be happy when the construction out front is finished. It is a busy place with a nice lobby and historic side rooms for sitting and having tea. Breakfast was included with our rooms and the buffet was quite nice and comprehensive. The staff was very friendly and packed us a to go breakfast when we did an early day trip. The heritage bar was great but always very crowded. The location was not bad for tourist activities as it is on St. Stephens Green. Our rooms were okay but not overly special. Beds were comfortable but rooms were warm and a bit dry. Making the room cooler helped us sleep better. We are loyal to Marriott and that was a reason we stayed here. Overall positive experience.

Room Tip: Ask for Heritage room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay overall. It was a pleasure to host you during your trip to Dublin and that you found the hotels location to be at your advantage.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne, A Renaissance Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest Regards,