“Not near as good as expected”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #18 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Not near as good as expected”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived tonight for our last night out together before we welcome our next born - therefore obviously our last night out for a while so decided to treat ourselves to the shelbourne - do you kno what ? Not all that impressed - downstairs lovely , room - not what you would expect - toilet rolls thrown on the floor - towels not hung up & 1 bathrobe to share between 2 of us! In addition when we filled the sink it wouldn't empty - I'm just back in the room now 3 hrs later and it still hasn't emptied.
To be honest very disappointed that I brought my wife out to this hotel
To find it at a standard far less than what we expected because at the end of the day it's not cheap.
Now have to pay €25 more for parking in the morning....
Disappointed.
Brian

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brian1234byrne
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was also disappointed to hear about your stay and I would be delighted to investigate this further should you wish.
I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and I would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our friends were holding their wedding reception at the Shelbourne so my boyfriend and I decided to stay the night before and night of the wedding.
Firstly, we were struck by how beautiful the hotel is. The staff were very friendly and professional, allowing us early check in after a very early and eventful flight into Dublin. We went for lunch in the saddle room, which isn't cheap at 30 euros for a two course meal however the food was excellent. We have a vegan diet and the chef was happy to adapt the vegetarian dishes to vegan.
We had drinks in the downstairs cocktail bar which was clearly visited by not just guests but people on a good night out. They cocktails were delicious. We also went out for dinner and noted that the Shelbourne is very well located for other bars and restaurants.
Breakfast was included and there was an extensive range. They also offered alternatives for us such as soy milk for the cereals and soy milk cappuccinos.
Our friend's wedding reception was held in a separate suite and was absolutely beautiful. The service was excellent and so was the food.

All in all, an absolutely brilliant trip full of fond memories. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JacqA
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you with us for your friend’s wedding. I am delighted that you enjoyed the cocktails and the breakfast that was on offer.

I will pass along your kind words to the team as they will be delighted to hear their efforts have been appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brandon, Florida
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Took the entire family on a trip to Dublin, Ireland and spent three days and 2 nights. Got into Dublin early on the morning of Dec 27th took a bus to the Shelbourne all I could say would be "wow" the place is amazing including the staff. Upon arriving I had reserved 2 rooms, one for my daughters another for the myself and wife. One room was available, the other not so the staff at front desk gave us a comp breakfast while we waited for the other room to open up. This place is all class. Rooms were very nice and staff very helpfull. Hotel is in a perfect spot to see the many attractions in Dublin. Hotel has everything, good food and cheer. My family loved it. Will be going back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The location of the hotel is an excellent place to see the city, whether it is seeing the sites or experiencing the culture around the town.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel as your destination of choice. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The Shelbourne Hotel is the perfect location for a city centre break. The high standards set by this hotel are to be commended. The hotel restuarant is top class and normally I would check in and choose a quality restuarant away from the hotel for my evening meal. I can certainly recommend their in house resturant and please book in advace of your arrival as I witnessed some very dissappointed clients (as they had not booked in advance). This hotel is expensive and you certainly pay for the service, but i is special and worth it. The bedrooms are nothing special although they are fully equipped and decorated well, I wa expecting more (I dont know why). I was there at Christmas time and they had decorated the foyet and bar beautifully - well done to all concerned. Valet parking was a nice touch as parking close by is problematic and the front door staff are excellent.
If you are on a budget stay away from here as cocktails in the bar are €12 each.
If you want somewhere special with all mod cons during your stay and can afford it - then this is thee place to stay in Dublin. Probably not suited to the under 35s.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony as some have them and it will ensure that you get a large room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to read of your stay and that you enjoyed the restaurant also. I will pass along you kind words to all concerned.

It is always a good recommendation to book in advance for the restaurant or Afternoon Tea to avoid disappointment. Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Astoria, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I spent a wonderful New Year's Eve at the Shelbourne. We arrived on the red eye from the US early Dec 31 and the staff was so accomodating in securing a room for us to freshen up. The staff truly makes this hotel great, along with such a beautiful room and access to all of Dublin's wonderful attractions.

Room Tip: A room on the high floor tends to be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you chose our hotel to ring in the new year. It was a pleasure to host you during your stay and our team will be delighted to read that you enjoyed their services.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne hotel, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My girlfriend and I got engaged at the Shelbourne last Christmas (2012) and visited again this Christmas. We have stayed in one of the suites which was amazing and the experience will last a life time. Everything about the place is class. If you want a relaxed pint/glass of wine then head to Horse Shoe bar whilst the front bar is a little more up market and sophisticated (watch out for celebs). There is also a beautiful residents lounge. The location couldn't be better. St Stephens Green, Grafton Street, O'Donoghues and the theatre are all within a five minute walk.
We have also used the spa which was brilliant and worth every penny. I particularly enjoyed the chill out area that they take you to after your treatments. Lie back in your post massage glow and watch Dublin city pass you buy whilst you contemplate where to spend your evening......bliss

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you choose The Shelbourne to host such a special occassion and we were able create such a memorable experience.

Our spa was a very welcome new addition to the hotel in 2013 and appreciate your fantastic feedback.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on you recent trip. I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. It would be my pleasure to personally take care of any future reservations for you. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Sophie Hird
Guest Relations Executive - rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@marriott.com
Ireland
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I booked this as a surprise for my fiancée, where there are areas where I think the hotel is good, being upgraded there are areas where they fail miserably! and I am not sure would I recommend the hotel or stay there again.

1) Breakfast, they are totally unorganised for a 5 star hotel you would not expect to queue or to be seated in the bar area.

2) the worse experience I had and I have never experienced in any of the hotels I have stayed In before and this was meant to be a 5 star. My partner ironed his shirt to which he noticed the black coming off on his collar! it was not a cheap shirt so I rang housekeeping, they sent the head of housekeeping and her first words were " this shirt is dirty" I was discussed and both in shock at the way she spoke to a customer!! I think she realised when I told her why would I tell you about the black coming off on his shirt when we were heading out for the evening. She did say she would try and get it off and bring the shirt back in a few minutes. I had to chase her twice she made us late and we missed our booking! and even when she brought the shirt back once again said that the black came of from the iron, I responded to say it had never happened before and maybe she should learn to speak to customers. I have never experience this before and when I told the front desk all they said was sorry not a good feeling from the hotel!!

Also our upgraded room had a dirty bath and labels on the floor which were not ours, obviously housekeeping are not doing their job!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catdea
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I have also recieved feedback via our Wedding Enquiry Contact us page and have contacted you directly regarding the matters raised.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sophie Hird