“Very comfortable stay in the heart of Dublin. Lovely spa/fitness centre” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable stay in the heart of Dublin. Lovely spa/fitness centre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I had a very pleasant 12 night stay at The Shelbourne while on business in Dublin. The location, history and unique atmosphere of the hotel are second to none. My room was great, conveniently located right beside the elevator down to the spa/fitness area, and my bed was very comfortable.

The big highlight of my stay was definitely the spa/fitness center. The hotel has a beautiful (new-looking) pool and gym and the trainers there are superb. This is the part of the hotel I spent the most time in and I could certainly notice the level of service and attentiveness of the staff here compared with some other hotels I’ve stayed in recently. Some of my colleagues were also at the hotel for a few nights and we made great use of the sauna, as well as the classes. The guy Simon down there is particularly helpful and gave me good advice on my workout plans whenever I was down.

If I was to complain about anything it might have been some small details like a bit of rust on one of the light-switches and some wear on the Info brochure in the room, which I wouldn’t expect to see in a 5*, however these didn’t put much of a dent in an otherwise very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lonergan24
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you especially enjoyed the Spa & Health Club facilities. I will certainly pass along your kind words of praise for Simon to his manager. He will be delighted to read that you found his service attentive and helpful.

I have made note of your concerns so that we may quickly rectify them. Thank you for providing this feedback and thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

We went for afternoon tea last weekend and it was a really nice experience. The room itself is lovely, oozing with history. The ambience was created by a lovely piano player in the corner - really added to the experience. Food was great - sandwiches, scones and desserts. We were constantly topped up with tea and asked if everything was ok. Staff were very friendly and always described in detail what was being served. It was a really nice way to spend a rainy Sunday.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Afternoon Tea in our Lord Mayors Lounge. Afternoon Tea at The Shelbourne Hotel is a great way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon in Dublin.

I was delighted to read that you fully enjoyed your experience and I will pass along your kind words to that department.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent visit. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for Christmas and being from Dublin but now living abroad I was excited to stay here as I never had before, although many afternoons have been wiled away in the bar over the years, which is ridiculously expensive. Anyway.. The room was fine, but nothing like we were expecting after a well publicised refurb a few years back.

The bathroom was huge and luxurious, but also a waste of space. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in for many years. It dipped so badly in the middle and was far too soft. I slept in a V shape and had to put a pillow between my legs in an attempt to stay horizontal. It was like a bed for very old people.

Another thing - the lighting in the room was all over the place. The bedside lamps were far to bright and should be on a dimmer. You could light the room with just one of them. I had to unscrew one of the two bulbs in the lamp to create my own ambiance but it's like none of these details were thought through and having stayed in so many hotels over the years, you become attuned to these details as they are the very elements that distinguish great hotels from bad ones, but the Shelbourne is supposed to be high class, historic, sophisticated.. this experience wasn't.

The food in the restaurant was massively over-priced because it was Christmas, and the while the food was good, it wasn't anything special and was just a few notches about the old Broccoli and Carrots hotel restaurants that many of us remember from our childhood. In fact the bar food looked far better than the 'festive menu' and it was all coming out of the same kitchen!

Here's another thing that really pisses me off. The Bill - but not for the obvious reasons. I woke up to find the bill staring at me from the floor, having been slipped under the door in the dead of night. This is something that lots of hotels do and I've no problem with it. But in every other hotel, the bill is either folded over or slipped under the door in a crisp white envelope. No no.. one piece of A4, face up for anyone to see. What if you didn't want your partner to see the bill as it was a treat? Where's the manners, the class, the discretion? In fact, that example was pretty endemic of the entire experience.

Just one more thing - On the bill the 'festive menu' which was €99 per head and included in our package was listed on the bill as an additional charge. So that's €198 and I now have to bring it up at reception and they have to check it all out and blah blah blah and it's unnecessary and I immediately think the worst as I've come across this in many other hotels. Lots of people don't check their bills, they just pay and leave. It's a hassle I didn't need and it was the cherry on a collapsed soufflé as I was exiting the building.

The hotel looks great and is very seductive. You are attracted to its history, its location, but the details are all wrong and the substance and philosophy is lacking.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaxGaffney
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us. I have raised the concerns you have had with the different departments concerned so that they may review their procedures.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused by these issues and would be delighted to discuss them further should you wish. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com and I would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel over the Christmas period. I look forward to hearing from you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Two nights at the Shelbourne Dublin in early January 2014. On a par with the best London hotels...but with friendlier staff. Perfect location. Superb restaurants nearby. Not inexpensive - but real value for the class of service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tomfitz46
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you with us for your stay. I am delighted to note that you found the hotel to your expectation and that you enjoyed the value received. Our team will also be delighted to read of how you enjoyed their services.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived tonight for our last night out together before we welcome our next born - therefore obviously our last night out for a while so decided to treat ourselves to the shelbourne - do you kno what ? Not all that impressed - downstairs lovely , room - not what you would expect - toilet rolls thrown on the floor - towels not hung up & 1 bathrobe to share between 2 of us! In addition when we filled the sink it wouldn't empty - I'm just back in the room now 3 hrs later and it still hasn't emptied.
To be honest very disappointed that I brought my wife out to this hotel
To find it at a standard far less than what we expected because at the end of the day it's not cheap.
Now have to pay €25 more for parking in the morning....
Disappointed.
Brian

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank brian1234byrne
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was also disappointed to hear about your stay and I would be delighted to investigate this further should you wish.
I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and I would urge you to contact me at your earliest convenience. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

Our friends were holding their wedding reception at the Shelbourne so my boyfriend and I decided to stay the night before and night of the wedding.
Firstly, we were struck by how beautiful the hotel is. The staff were very friendly and professional, allowing us early check in after a very early and eventful flight into Dublin. We went for lunch in the saddle room, which isn't cheap at 30 euros for a two course meal however the food was excellent. We have a vegan diet and the chef was happy to adapt the vegetarian dishes to vegan.
We had drinks in the downstairs cocktail bar which was clearly visited by not just guests but people on a good night out. They cocktails were delicious. We also went out for dinner and noted that the Shelbourne is very well located for other bars and restaurants.
Breakfast was included and there was an extensive range. They also offered alternatives for us such as soy milk for the cereals and soy milk cappuccinos.
Our friend's wedding reception was held in a separate suite and was absolutely beautiful. The service was excellent and so was the food.

All in all, an absolutely brilliant trip full of fond memories. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JacqA
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you with us for your friend’s wedding. I am delighted that you enjoyed the cocktails and the breakfast that was on offer.

I will pass along your kind words to the team as they will be delighted to hear their efforts have been appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Brandon, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Took the entire family on a trip to Dublin, Ireland and spent three days and 2 nights. Got into Dublin early on the morning of Dec 27th took a bus to the Shelbourne all I could say would be "wow" the place is amazing including the staff. Upon arriving I had reserved 2 rooms, one for my daughters another for the myself and wife. One room was available, the other not so the staff at front desk gave us a comp breakfast while we waited for the other room to open up. This place is all class. Rooms were very nice and staff very helpfull. Hotel is in a perfect spot to see the many attractions in Dublin. Hotel has everything, good food and cheer. My family loved it. Will be going back again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. The location of the hotel is an excellent place to see the city, whether it is seeing the sites or experiencing the culture around the town.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel as your destination of choice. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.