“Awesome Historic Hotel”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 30 January 2014

If you want pampering, ambiance , old world Irish charm, this is the place. The rooms are decorated beautifully, and typical European size, the beds are comfy and it's easy to fall asleep.The staff is wonderful, friendly,and very helpful. The restaurants, high noon teas, and bar areas are splendid. The spa/gym is a nice size with an indoor salt pool and spa treatments. The gym equipment is modern and plentiful. The hotel location is prime location across from St. Stephens Green. Highly recommend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you got to enjoy many of the hotels facilities.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

In many ways the hotel lived up to our expectations – particularly in relation to its location and general ambience. However the check-in procedure was extremely long-winded and, despite the fact that I emphasised that I was to be responsible for payment for several rooms, was extremely embarrassed to find that on the day of our departure separate accounts were put under the doors of each room.

We had been attracted by the a la carte menu displayed on the hotel's website and had reserved a table for a celebratory dinner in the Saddle Room for the 8 of us. It was therefore a major disappointment to be presented with restricted menus and be told that for parties of more than 7 people the a la carte version was not available. When we suggested that the waiter should perhaps treat us as two parties of 4, his response was to the effect that “he could do that if we didn’t mind being served 45 minutes apart”!! The quality of the food, when it eventually came (after a lengthy wait and without any aperitifs being suggested), was excellent.

In summary, a very uneven experience became the subject of a letter of complaint - to which a prompt but somewhat perfunctory reply was received. I think they may have to write quite a lot when the expectations that go along with 5 star status are not satisfied.

Room Tip: They all appear to be different - Gold status in the Marriott Rewards seemed to be a plus!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you and your party have experienced. We have noted your experience on your profile and the issues you have raised have been discussed at our weekly meeting and new procedures have been introduced.

I was however delighted to read that you enjoyed the food you received. We have received your letter about your experience and should you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

It would be my pleasure to discuss your stay in more detail at your convenience.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here a couple of nights to explore Dublin after spending a week at the Grand Hotel in Malahide for a conference. The hotel is located fairly close to must see attractions, such as Trinity College. The room was spacious and comfortable. There are three restaurants, but if you simple want casual, your only option is No. 27 Bar and Lounge, which has great sandwiches (try the steak sandwich or the Shelbourne burger). The Saddle Room is nice, but there is a dress code (shirt/slacks) and it is quite expensive; pretty good, but not sure it was worth the cost. I would stay here again next time I find myself in Dublin. After all, if it is good enough for First lady Michelle Obama, it is good enough for me.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to host you during your stay. We have many options for dining in the hotel including the aforementioned Saddle Room restaurant. The Lord Mayors Lounge offers an evening supper along with No.27 serving bar food into the evening.

The location of the hotel is extremely helpful when visiting sites around Dublin as most are within walking distance.

JD

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just spent a night in the Shelbourne & it certainly fulfilled our expectations. Service really is excellent from the moment you drive up to the door. Room was lovely, very comfortable bed etc. Both bars were buzzing all day long. The only fault was the breakfast. We were led into the 27 bar for breakfast - I assume it was as place was busy & that's used when needed. However there was no fresh fruit, breads, or pastries there. When I asked I was giving quite a strange look & reluctantly told there was some in the saddle room & I could get some if I wanted?! Also no-one came near us to top up coffee, no-one advised we could have anything "made to order" i.e Omelette, French toast etc..All in all as disappointing as breakfast experience was, it certainly would not stop me returning & we certainly hope to in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback on your stay. We were delighted to have you with us. I have noted your feedback about your experience at Breakfast and have passed it to the manager responsible in order to develop on the information you have provided.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in advance of your next stay, so that I may personally ensure you enjoy a stay of memorable luxury. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on business and it was a really great experience. From the moment I pulled up at the front door, the valet parking was superb and I didn't have to worry about my bags either, I just had to go and check-in. The reception area was not immediately obvious, but I was duly directed. The receptionist who checked me in was friendly and asked about my day in a friendly and interested way, like she meant it - the welcome glass of home made lemonade and cookies were a nice touch too. I then went up to the room to find a very comfortable and spacious twin room with everything required for a comfortable stay. The room was very cozy and had everything needed including a nespresso machine, large bathroom, bathrobes etc. It is just a few minutes walk away from Dawson Street, Mansion House and city centre shopping etc. If there was just one thing I would have preferred slightly firmer pillows, but I guess if I had asked for them, I probably would have got them! Breakfast was superb with a buffet and a number of dishes made to order including the best scrambled eggs I have ever had - I wish I could make them like that at home! All in all I would love to return here with my wife and family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking St Stephens Green.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay from start to finish. It was a pleasure to have you with us and to host you during your stay.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Shelbourne is perfectly located near St. Stephen's Green and Trinity College. Shopping, Dining, Pubbing are all an easy walk, even in rainy weather. The hotel itself is historic, which when one hears that, I am usually inclined to think "old." The Shelbourne has been kept up very nicely, warm and inviting from the lobby bars, to the guest rooms. The staff were all very courteous, helpful and professional. I highly recommend The Shelbourne for your stay in Dublin.

Room Tip: Rooms that face into the inner courtyard, and not onto the street, are much quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read of your stay and that you enjoyed the proximity of the hotel to local attractions. It was a pleasure to host you during your stay.

I do hope that you will visit us again soon. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

'A Dublion Institution' claims the hotel blurb. If true it is an institution in need of reform. This may be a 5 star hotel but in terms of execution it is closer to 3. A list of small gripes. Firstly i was given a disabled room. The hotel was very busy so perhpas this was understandable albeit disappointing. No bath and a puny shower with a motel style curtain. Mirror not above the wash biaisn which was curious. Had to print my boarding pass,called the concierge.' Sure' they said,' email it over'. Next morning no boarding pass ( request made at 6PM) and no note of the request. Breakfast was expensive and by contrast to other Dublin hotels fairly limited with over cooked food under lights. There are far better hotels in Dublin at lower prices and i won't be wanting to saty at this institution again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 71EwenC

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read of your experience and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced. I would be delighted to discuss your stay in more detail at your earliest convenience as I would like to investigate the items you have mentioned.

My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to speaking with you soon.