“Not a great stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Not a great stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Although the room was nice we were disappointed to have had to move at 3.30am due to maintenance works going on outside. Not sure why we were put in that room if they knew the works we're going to be taking place in the middle of the night?

The following morning we had to wait over half an hour for breakfast, we were whilst waiting offered tea or coffee which I thought was nice touch given the wait only to find out we were being charged for it although we would have it free if we were actually having breakfast. When we did get to breakfast then numerous items had run out.

On checking out I told the receptionist that we were disappointed, she said she would speak to the customer relations manager but they weren't there but would make sure they emailed but they haven't.

We then had to wait over half an hour for the car.

Overall a poor experience although I will say all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read of your experience and deeply saddened that it was not to your satisfaction. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response.

I would like to investigate the matters you have mentioned. I would also like to discuss your stay with you in more detail. Please email me at your earliest convenience. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.
Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maldon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked afternoon tea to celebrate my daughter's birthday. we were made welcome and the room for tea was very comfortable. On arrival we were told to allow 90 minutes for tea which actually was not long enough as we didn't get our cakes and scones until after an hour. Not a problem for us as were enjoying a relaxed occasion and fortunately the staff did not hurry us. The food was delicious and we were able to have extra sandwiches. We couldn't finish all the cakes and scones so the staff very kindly boxed them for us to take home.The service however was rather slow and we had to ask for more tea.
A very pleasant afternoon

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Daisymaisy_10
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback about your experience of Afternoon Tea at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was our pleasure to host you and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the food provided by our team.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel to celebrate this special occasion. Should you wish to discuss your afternoon tea in further detail I would ask that you contact me directly. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Killinchy, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I spent one night here last Saturday evening and upon arrival all was not well. The room was 2 hours delayed for check-in to start the stay - it should have been ready from 2pm but not ready until 4pm in the afternoon. In the room everything seemed fine until I noticed there was mould around the corner of the glass shower surround, around the outlet in the basin and around the overflow in the basin. There was a light not working in the entrance way to the room which made the room dark around the wardrobe. There was a knob missing from one of the bedside cabinets also, which even in Premier Inn accommodation is not something you would expect. The real icing on the cake for me was the 20 minute wait to be seated for breakfast on the Sunday morning! The lounge area in the hotel on the Sunday morning was being used as a holding area - cooked breakfast was mediocre too. I have spent many nights in 5 star hotels and I am surprised greatly at the reviews I have seen on this page. I will need to be convinced that this hotel can live up to a busy 5 star hotel reputation before returning.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was surprised and disappointed at the experience you had. Please email me directly at your earliest convenience so that I may investigate these issues you have mentioned. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced and can assure you that this is not the usual standard for The Shelbourne Hotel as you can see from the other reviews. Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I took my two children and mother-in-law for afternoon tea as a mid-term treat. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were lovely and brought extra sandwiches for the children, they loved all the attention and the fact they got individual cake stands. There was a lovely selection of sandwiches and cakes/patisseries for the adults. It was a really lovely experience and I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful experience in The Lord Mayors Lounge.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel for this gathering. It was our pleasure to host you. I look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is very grand, with plush carpeting, magnificent chandeliers, gold lifts and generally great service. Like a lot of 5 star hotels, there are a large number of Eastern European staff, who are generally very professional, but what they lack is the charm and character of the Irish, who for me, stood out and gave me what I wanted in a visit to Dublin. Jo flynn deserves a mention because his customer service was great, he made us feel special during our stay.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciated the service provided by all the team.

Thank you for the special mention and for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

monaghan,ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Wonderful staff -well trained to please - dining area for breakfast a little small- upgraded on bed room - pity someone didn't check the alarm clock woken at 6am- will be back again and again- just like it!

Pity car park is away from hotel - but car is taken away and back for you- a tiny inconvenience

Stayed February 2014
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you experienced by this small issue.

I would like to make a note of this on your profile, so please do not hesitate to contact me when returning to the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Co Clare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

From the minute you arrive to the minute you leave, customer service is evident throughout. The hotel is ideally located right in the middle of everything - very nice rooms, excellent food and customer service that others really could learn from. I look forward to staying at the Shelbourne again.

Room Tip: A regular room normal size for any large city hotel and perfectly fine - the suites are very nice if...