“Philip and Georgina's trips” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
wilmslow
“Philip and Georgina's trips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

heavy day shopping? Still a couple of notes still in the wallet or purse? Take yourself off to the bar at the Shelbourne and order a drink at the corner bar. Blink as the bill arrives and then enjoy looking at Dublin's finest as they unwind after a hard day. Real money here, folks, and don't you soon know it - take your time, sip your drink (you won't be able to afford another) and take in the craic.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the great feedback from your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed our No 27 Bar and the atmosphere it has to offer.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the Shelbourne. Excellent hotel. Great location, really great hotel design and facilities. Staff very helpful. Definitely 5 start. A bit pricey so worth noting but worth it.
No 27 bar is great and very open , bright. If staying some great bars on Dawson street if not into the standard more hassle of temple bar area. Try out Cafe en Seine. Hotel directly opposite St Stephens Green park.Worth booking the breakfast as part of booking as very expensive otherwise. Hop on/Hop off buses also just across the street.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Shelbourne Hotel from your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your amazing feedback and that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I would be my pleasure to personally take care of any future reservations for you. Please feel free to contact me directly. The team and I will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I did a ton of research before booking this hotel and was so impressed with how true many of these reviews turned out to be. This hotel is worth the price if you are looking for a bit of luxury during your stay. We were able to check in early and found the concierge to be very helpful with booking tours (we didn't book anything before arriving). If your room is not ready earlier, you can use the spa for free to shower. If you are a gold member with Marriott, you will enjoy free breakfast during your stay (€29 otherwise). If you can get a package that includes breakfast, it is well worth it. The hotel is right across a beautiful park and a 10 minute walk from the temple bar area. Also, tons of great restaurants and shopping within 2 blocks. We decided to take air coach to and from the airport which drops/picks up right by the hotel for €7 each way.

Room Tip: Wasn't able to book 2 double beds online, but upon check in, they were available
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your fantastic feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate an early check in for you and that the Concierge team were able to assist you with seeing the beautiful scenery Ireland has to offer.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back, in the near future. I would be my pleasure to personally take care of any future reservations for you. Please feel free to contact me directly.

houston, texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

What I enjoyed the most was the can-do attitude of the entire staff. They were amenable to any request and happy to assist. I found this to be true of the Irish people in general but when paired with a great location and lovely, comfortable rooms it was just the touch of old world charm to make a quick trip into a relaxing holiday

Room Tip: We did upgrade to the park view rooms based on other reviews and they were beautiful. The location i...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking some time to write your lovely comments from your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was delighted to read your fantastic comments about our associates and that you had a comfortable stay with us throughout.

I hope that on your next visit to Dublin, the team and I will have an opportunity to welcome you back to The Shelbourne.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel is located in the best location, was so beautiful and the room had great amenities. We were on vacation from the States, and weren't in the hotel much, but loved every second we were there. The guest room and bath were both spacious (we had a quad for a family of four). The bed was so comfortable, and in particular, the pillows were amazing (where can I purchase these??). I wish we had brought work out clothes because the gym and the pool were really nice! The breakfast buffet was also delicious!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your excellent feedback from your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was so pleased to read that you were able to enjoy a good night’s sleep. The pillows are particularly comfortable and can be purchased at www.shopmarriott.com.

I hope that next time you are in Dublin for a vacation we will be your first choice of hotel, where you can enjoy our Health Club and Spa facilities.

South Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night at the end of our one week Ireland trip. We visited Ireland last year as well and spent more time in Dublin, but since we were flying out of Dublin, we needed one day in the city. We enjoyed the cocktails in the lounge as well as the helpful and friendly valet staff. Also, the room was very clean. I know it's an old hotel, so the wear and tear I noted was to be expected. What we did not enjoy was the lack of knowledge from the staff regarding easy questions about tolls to the Dublin airport from the hotel and where to eat a basic meal (We weren't looking for anything fancy). Also, we had to leave very early and the front desk staff seemed disorganized at that hour.
Other than that, the hotel's character and charm were redeeming and I can see why many would stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was disappointed to read of your experience and of the issue that you had, Should you wish to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me by email.
I will investigate the items you have mentioned in the meantime. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the cocktails and the service offered by the Valet. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

JD Flynn
Falster, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

The Shelbourne is a luxurious hotel with an exceptional location.

Being a 5-star hotel my husband and I had very high expectations to our 2-nights-stay in Dublin. They were honored in regards to location, servicelevel - the staff did everything and more so that we would have a great stay - food (restaurant and afternoon tea) and spa.

Unfortunately our room didn't meet our expectations at all.
The room (560) was worn - paint peeling off the bathroom door, small flush in toilet wasn't working and the curtain had large stains on it.
We decided to complain to the concierge downstairs (when we book a 5-star hotel we expect everything to be absolutely perfect) and unfortunately he couldn't help us to another room the first night.
The next day we were transferred to room 652 - a perfect room that we only wish we'd had from the beginning.

Considering the trouble we had switching rooms during our stay (pack and unpack our lugage and not having a room to stay in until 3 pm) we were surprised to find that we were fully charged of the room(s).

Despite the trouble with the room we had a lovely stay at the Shelbourne - our experience just wasn't worthy of a 5-star review (which was what we paid for and expected!)

Room Tip: Room 652 has part view of the park and a large bathroom.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mus77
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin.
Your feedback is appreciated and feel is an excellent tool for our hotel team to learn more about our guests' experiences and ensure we continually seek to create the highest standards of service in all aspects of our guests' stay.

I was disappointed to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with you room, and would delighted if you would contact me directly to discuss further your experience.

You can contact me directly by email at your earliest convenience. Please email me at rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.

Sophie Hird