“Fantastic stay!”

Ranked #16 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Loved this hotel from start to finish. The service from everyone we met here was exemplary.
The room was spotless and full of thoughtful details. Extremely comfortable bed.
I particularly liked the swimming pool with sauna and steam room. What a great way to wake up in the morning!
The location was central and we pre-booked a taxi online to the airport for 22€.
Would recommend for a comfortable stay in Dublin.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and our team will be thrilled with your kind words. It was our pleasure to host you.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin. I look forward to your return.

JD Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a lovely, beautiful hotel and fantastic service! The location perfect, right in Dublin's city centre just minutes away from the best restaurants, cafes and shops. The room was very comfy and the breakfast was amazing.
The hotel has a nice swimming pool big enough for a real swim, that's certainly a plus if you're a keen swimmer!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was thrilled to read of your experience and that you were able to a good swim in the Shelbourne Health Club.

Thank you for your kind words.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed in The Shelbourne Hotel in March. We were celebrating a special occasion and we had a weekend planned in great detail for months in advance. I had The Four Seasons booked but as the time came nearer we decided to cancel and 'treat ourselves' at The Shelbourne.

First impressions were good. We were allocated a beautiful room and Reception staff were lovely. Next morning breakfast was OK - very expensive for what we actually ate though. This is where the positives stop however. When we returned to our room we found somebody elses luggage was left there. It took some persuasion for Reception to believe it really was NOT our luggage. 2 hours later the luggage still sat there.

We left and returned later in the evening to find our room had not been serviced. I realise, the hotel was very busy and preoccupied with the Irish rugby team - however even in the cheapest, most basic hotels I have stayed in - my room was always cleaned. The worst bit was yet to come - the bath fitting was broken since we arrived - so we could not have a bath/shower. A maintenance man took up residence in our room for almost an hour trying (in vain) to fix it. We didnt even have time for a shower before we went out to dinner plus I didnt even have the privacy of being able to get changed. It was a frustrating start to what should have been a wonderful evening.

I reported all the above to Reception and also wrote to the Customer Services Manager. I was informed that 'full disciplinary action took place where necessary' and I would be given 'a complimentary upgrade to a heritage room on my next stay, subject to availability'.

Room Tip: Dont stay here when there is an Irish rugby match in town.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martina O
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am disappointed to read of your experience and that you were not satisfied with the resolution. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused you.

Please email me at your earliest convenience so that I may attempt to restore your faith in The Shelbourne Hotel. Thank you for choosing our hotel on your stay in March. I look forward to hearing from you.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Spending our last of three nights here at the Shelbourne, which is a beautiful old style building with some lovely grand rooms on the first floor, but desperately in need of a makeover on service! First, the Pros: Awsome location! Walking distance to virtually everything, and right across from St Stephens Green which is a gorgeous park. Also, the bars downstairs and the lounge where high tea are served are beautiful and ornate, you really feel like you are somewhere special. Now, the cons: while location is great, service is very poor. When we checked in, three men out front and no one offered to help me lug my suitcase up the couple of steps and into the hotel. Ok, not the end of the world. When we checked in at 10 am, room not ready. Ok, fair enough, check in is not until 3 pm. They said they would put a priority on at least one of the two rooms we had and call my cell. We went off to explore. No call. We finally come back to the hotel at 2 pm and discover that our room was ready at noon, but no one bothered to call us. Other room was not ready but they assured us they would call us right away. No call, so at 3 pm we check again. front desk too busy to talk to us, and say they will call us back in two minutes. No call. We call back in 30 minutes. No answer at front desk. I go downstairs and find no customers at front desk! Oh yes, our room has been ready for some time! This is the kind of sloppiness that just makes you angry, especially when you have been up all night. Front desk completely unapologetic and entirely oblivious that this is annoying. Both rooms are ok, but are small and have no view at all and but beds are horrible! Two of the three have enormous troughs because they are so worn and it is like sleeping in a hammock. Not acceptable at the rates being paid. There were 4 hangers in our closet so I called to ask for some more. Oh yes, I was told, they will be right up. Two days later still no sign of the hangers. No turndown service in our room first night, but it was here last night. No replacement of empty shampoo bottles, no wash clothes left by housekeeping either day, we have had to call and ask to have them delivered the last two nights. Frankly, none of this is horrible, but it is sloppy, annoying and preventable and should not be the type of service that anyone paying almost $900/night for two rooms with no view and bad beds should expect or accept. I was going to let it all go until we got back to the room at 5 pm today after being out walking since 8 am this morning. We wanted to relax, and put our feet up, before having to meet our sons in an hour. We get to the room and bed is stripped, cleaning stuff everywhere, and no sign of housekeeping person! We wait a bit and she finally comes back. There is no place even to sit, much less relax or shower. We tell her we will go downstairs and wait while she cleans. However, there is no place to sit downstairs while we wait. Lounge has high tea so it is full. Horseshoe bar is small and pitch black, and main bar is packed with a wedding party. We wait a half hour and then return to room and she is STILL cleaning! Finally she finishes. I don't care if the hotel is full and that is why my room is not getting cleaned until 5 pm. That is not my problem and the hotel needs to plan for a fully booked hotel, not me plan to accommodate a busy hotel. I travel constantly on business and frequently for vacation and this was a long series of lazy, preventable mistakes. As a platinum Elite member of Mariott I can say I am surprised and very disappointed. We asked the concierge to book us a car to airport in the morning but I have zero confidence this will actually happen? Stay someplace else until someone here at The Shelbourne figures out how to efficiently run a hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cindy K
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was deeply saddened to read of your experience. Thank you for speaking with me on the evening of your departure and I regret not having the opportunity rectify the issues you experienced when they occurred.

I was glad that we could discuss your experience in depth and I have passed on your concerns about your stay to all departments. It was my pleasure to assure you of your morning transfer that was awaiting you on your departure. I would like to deeply apologise for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Thank you once again for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel. I look forward to you return.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We spent 6 nights at the Shelbourne and we enjoyed nearly all aspects of this beautiful, classic hotel. Our first night we stayed in a room with beds that were simply abysmal; even with a requested bed-board added, the mattresses on both beds appeared to have been original to the hotel itself. After a miserable, sleepless night, we complained to the service manager, JD Flynn, who promptly, professionally, and perfectly addressed our concerns. We repacked and left our room to return late afternoon to a room with lovely beds making the rest of our stay, faultless.

Mr. Flynn and his staff are exceptionally well-trained, service-oriented and genuine in all efforts. Our experience over the years with Marriott is simple: if it isn't right to begin with-which it most often is--given the chance to make it right they always do their best for the client. This is one reason we remain loyal to the Marriott brands.

Our week in Dublin was enhanced by the location and comfort of the Shelbourne, from the doormen and bellman (esp. Keith and Emil) to the concierge/navigator Paul Burne or Burke (apologies for not obtaining your card) all the staff were friendly, helpful and perpetually available to help make our stay perfect. Paul B. helped me in a pinch make a last minute dinner for 12 colleagues special and fun in The Lord Mayor's Lounge (when I quite literally could find no where else to take a group that size, other than a local pub.) a sincer "bravissimo" job by the staff in working to quickly accommodate our group and specific requests for what turned out to be a memorable, delightful meal in Dublin!

We enjoyed a range of the hotel services (bars, restaurants, reception, concierge, housekeeping) and truly found every interaction with Shelbourne staff exceptional! While the hotel is gorgeous and the facilities lovely, it was the people that made the Shelbourne stay truly special.

Room Tip: The park-view rooms on upper floors facing St. Stephens have very little view of the park when the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback and for taking the time to do so. It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay.

I was delighted to read your great comments about our hotel and especially about our associates and the service we provide. I will pass your kind words to JD and all the other associates you have so kindly mentioned in your review.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back to The Shelbourne. Please feel free to contact JD or myself directly, should you require further assistance with any future reservations.

Kindest regards,
Barbara Fernandes
Guest Relations Executive
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Second stay at this wonderful hotel. Located perfectly on St Stephens Green. Staff are excellent, beautiful interior. The comfiest bed I've ever slept in. The iced lemon drink on arrival is fab. I could live here!!!
@westderbywench

• Stayed May 2014
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was glad to note that you enjoyed the lemonade on arrival and that you also enjoyed our comfortable beds.

We would be delighted to have you back anytime. I look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful hotel in a great location, downtown Dublin. Across from Stephens Green. Walking distance to everything. Staff was fabulous. Room was comfy and eloquent. Wonderful traditional Irish breakfast. The best Marriott property I have ever stayed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read of your kind words and that you rate us so highly among the Marriott Group.