The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Cassidys Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$147
  • Restaurant
Dublin Skylon Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$152
  • Restaurant
Sheldon Park Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$233
US$176
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
3,985 results
All reviewssaddle roomlord mayor's loungeheritage roomirish constitutionbeautiful hotelfive star hotelst stephensmain bargrafton streetturn down servicetrinity collegetemple barmarriottconciergeirelanddoormanluxury
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed here for a wedding. We were a party of three with one senior. We booked our rooms far far far in advance. We booked two double beds. when we arrived it took forever for us to check in and get our rooms. They were packed, all bell hops and attendants were busy. After a long overnight flight, the last thing you want to do is wait in a lobby full of loud talking people waiting for thirty minutes just to be seen. Once we arrived in our rooms, the bellhops were soo busy we opted to take part of our luggage so we could atleast get started on unpacking- good thing we did, it was another thirty minutes before they showed up with our bags. The room was ok, however, there was mold on the baseboards and showers- due to the humidity I kinda expected it to be honest. The shower/bath tub on the other hand was soo large to get into I almost fell getting in and out. I knew my grandmother would have severe issues with this and i didn't want her to attempt it for fear that she would fall and crack her head open. We asked for another room. We were told they were sold out. AGGGGHHHH. However, we were there for a wedding so the groom to be was nice and asked for us to be switched. Well a lot of good that did because they switched us to ONE BEDROOM QUEEN- um, ok, so that's great for the two of us, but there are THREE of US. they offered a rollaway, but it was broken so my husband slept on the floor basically of this five star hotel. Room was ok- antique with paint chipping, mold, baseboards coming off, but yes it was clean enough to sleep in. I thought the breakfast was way overpriced for the selection. Descent selection for a standard Irish breakfast with the essentials of fruit, granola, cereal, pastries and juice. I would probably not stay here again. It was not to a standard five star hotel and could use a lot of updating. I would say a four star hotel with a three star appearance, service and room value. However- with all that said... you cannot beat the location!!!! It was tremendous for location. Right across from St. Stephen's Green-which is a beautiful park!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upgraded room with a view of the Garden!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I was truly disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced and I regret not having the opportunity to resolve them myself. I will certainly follow up on the issues you have experienced. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the location and I hope that you also enjoyed the wedding.

If I could ask you to contact me so that I may investigate the items mentioned in your review, knowing the last room number and name will allow me to track back your experience. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

A hotel has never astounded me as much as this. Yes it is expensive, but when you enter, it becomes obvious that this is one of the few luxury hotels where you undoubtedly get your money's worth.

Maintaining a historic property such as this has to require lots of money and effort. Thankfully, they address the challenge head-on and with gusto. It took me days to notice even the slightest hints of aging, and by that point, I was aware that they are currently renovating (to probably address these slight imperfections). The decor throughout is old-world but never ordinary. They take risks; our room's yellow walls were surprisingly tasteful.

The room had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. We were upgraded from the cheapest available room to a heritage room. I can't comment on what the base room consists of, but the heritage rooms are big by American standards and huge by European standards. I was surprised to find that our room was air conditioned; which is unusual for Ireland but appreciated.

The service is absolutely top notch. It may just be the famous Irish friendliness, but every staff member I met seemed genuinely happy to interact. A special tip of the hat goes to the man who worked the door around dinner hour; he felt like a lifetime friend from the second you met him. None of the pleasantries from anybody seemed insincere; everybody is just a genuine delight.

The breakfast was amazing. Even though it is served buffet style, all the components of the Irish breakfast were perfectly cooked. The breakfast is served on china (why wouldn't it?). Even though it's "just a buffet", the service (of course) was great. If the buffet isn't your thing, there is a small menu to order from; my wife's Eggs Benedict was perfect. If you stay here, be sure that breakfast is included in your rate; don't miss it.

The hotel is so close to perfection that I have to mention one nagging issue: the elevators are not air conditioned. You become so spoiled by every other facet of your stay that the slightly uncomfortable elevator becomes irritating. As far as I can tell, the elevator is the only thing that stands between this hotel and perfection.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pat M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you discovered many great aspects of the hotel including the history.

The team will be delighted to know that you appreciated their friendliness and the service they provided. I have noted your feedback also for our Engineering department. Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Had a wonderful stay here with my 14 year old daughter who was in Dublin to see One Direction . Dublin was buzzing this weekend and the Shelbourne did not disappoint . What a special place this is .The doormen are amazing , so friendly and helpful, loved the use of the hotel umbrellas (always useful in Ireland !!!) . My daughter adored the chocolate chip cookies and fresh lemonade at reception when we were checking in , very tasty . Our room was beautiful , not the biggest but very luxurious , Bit disappointed that there were no tea/ coffee making facilities in the room . The location is great really handy for all the lovely shops in Grafton Street .
We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was amazing , staff were very efficient and friendly . Check out the honeycomb , i would love to know where it is from, i have never seen one that big before !!Last but not least the florists at this hotel deserve special mention as the flower arrangemenst were simply stunning ! Thank you for a lovely stay and i hope its not too long before i can come back again .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed the stay and that your daughter enjoyed our homemade cookies and lemonade.

I was disappointed to read that you did not have tea/coffee facilities in the room, as this is a standard for all of our rooms. If you would like to contact me directly I would be happy to investigate this issue.

I have passed your kind words to our associates, in particular to our florists, who will be enamoured at your kind words.

I look forward to your return in the hopefully near future.

Barbara Fernandes
Guest Relations Executive - rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Reviewed 11 June 2014

checked in very smoothly on 4th of June, the reception staff were lovely, and then we were transferred to our room, which was in good size comparing to European standards, unfortunately our window was looking in to an inner wall :-( very disappointing! the furniture is classic and the bathroom was marble. The history and story behind the Shelbourne is impressive i was so impressed staying in a building with this rich history.

pros:
1-Perfect location walking distance to everywhere in Dublin city center
2- Staff is very friendly and helpful
3- Breakfast for sure not to be missed ..yummy
4-oppisiate the St. stephans park directly
5-hopon hop off trips are just across the road
6-many shops and dining options around
7-spa is very good although expensive
8-apperantly it is the celebrities’ best hotel in Dublin ;-)

Cons:
1-some rooms has better view, and they really need to work around the rooms without view
2-TOOOOO expensive
3-there was some water leakage in the bathroom
4-wifi need to be faster

anyhow loved it, will definitely recommend it if you can afford it.

Room Tip: ask for a room nearby the elevator so it gonna be in the first house, try to get southern or western room and request to have street view while booking/check in so you want end in one with wall in front of your window (innter courtyard with walls around you) highest floor is better view try to get the view of the park will be super
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear guest,

It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay over all and that you discovered many great aspects of the hotel including the history. Our teams will be delighted that you appreciated the service provided. Due to our central location the options for views are limited and we recommend booking our Heritage Parkview rooms should you require a room with a view.

I have noted your feedback and will develop on it accordingly. Thank you for taking the time to provide this information. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I treated myself to 5 nights at the Shelbourne recently to celebrate a milestone birthday, travelling from Australia. The experience was well worth the trip - the whole place was spotless, my room expansive, the service impeccable and the staff personable but professional. My only disappointment (albeit a very slight one) was that my "park view" room only included a glimpse of a couple of trees at the edge of St Stephen's Green. However this was over-ridden by the hotel's location and its very interesting history. Its small museum on the ground floor next to reception is well worth a look, and it was convenient for pick-up and drop-off on a day trip I took to Wicklow and Glendalough..the bus stopped just across the road. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was included in the rate, and it provided a very extensive range of foods to satisfy the most discerning palate. I would not hesitate to recommend this establishment to anyone who would like to be spoilt for a few days - I found it well worth the expense.

Room Tip: The Heritage Park View room which I had was more like a suite. It was also possible to open the windows which was a bonus for me.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read that you were pleased with the hotel. The museum is a great window into the past and has some great memorabilia and artefacts. Our restaurant and kitchen team will enjoy reading of how you enjoyed breakfast.

Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin and thank you for making the journey.