“Poorest 5 star yet”

The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel
Ranked #19 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in several 5 star hotels and never written a review I found myself compelled to after our time in the Shelbourne.

Room was very small overlooking skips and compactors.
In the mini fridge was two lumps of beef in tin foil rolled up the beef had hair growing on it so it had been there for some time
If you take the cost of parking into consideration we'd have stayed in a 5 star down the road from this hotel for €60 a night cheaper so I expected excellence we got average.

3  Thank Robert M
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.
Firstly I would like to thank you for the high rating you gave us for Service during your stay.
I am shocked and disappointed to read about the issues you had with the minibar. I have passed this information on to our In-room Dining team who are investigating this issue. They have taken the necessary steps to ensure that this issue will not reoccur.
As we are a city centre hotel our only rooms that have an external view are on our Heritage side. I do apologise that your internal facing room took away from your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel.
I do wish to restore your faith in our hotel so should you be returning please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can make sure your next stay is flawless.
Warm regards,
Yasmin Bergin

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Nice hotel in the center of Dublin, if you have the means this is a very nice hotel. I had a bed and breakfast rate and the breakfast a good Irish breakfast, however just down the street their are plenty of places for a wonderful breakfast.

The staff is wonderful, upon check in the lemonade and cookies are a nice touch. The beds are very comfortable and the cleaning staff is wonderfully quick and almost invisible. Atmosphere is pleasant but not exactly casual.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. Our team will be thrilled to read of your review and how you appreciated breakfast and the service provided.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that our prices are inline and competitively priced against other local 5 star hotels. I regret not having the opportunity to discuss these issues on check out.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you also for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel.

Kindest regards,

Barbara Fernandes

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Most disappointed with the pool. Tiny and had kids throwing footballs around in it. Had far too much chlorine, I could barely see after using it grot 10 minutes. The room numbers lead you around in circles but not to your room. The coffee machine in the room has no instructions and is difficult to use. Car parking is 25euro extra. Costs less to park in a car park nearby overnight. Rooms are tatty for a 5 star hotel also. Honestly one of the worst 5 star hotels I've ever experienced.

4  Thank Davidtracey1
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. May I kindly ask that you contact me directly, to further discuss your stay, so that I can retrieve your booking details and fully investigate the issues raised.

I have highlighted the each of the areas to the relevant managers to ensure this does not happen again to you or any of our future valued guests.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Always a fantastic ambiance with plenty of welcoming staff. Enjoyed a very pleasant post dinner night cap in the Horseshoe bar last night but we were totally shocked when we looked at the prices. Appreciate the Shelbourne is a 5 star venue but seriously, €10.25 for a standard glass of red wine??

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank buzzeye
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. Your feedback has been passed on to our Bar Manager.
Should you be returning to The Shelbourne Hotel please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to look after you,

Warm regards,
Yasmin Bergin

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel was beautiful. The spa was fantastic. I went for a book event that was being held there and everything was great with the exception of the service. We called once to get reservations for dinner and the staff told us they would get back to us and didn't. Then we called to get the bellman to get our bags and waited an hour to call back to make the identical request.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank RLGriffin2014
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was truly disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced and I regret not having the opportunity to resolve them myself. I will certainly follow up on the issues you have experienced. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel and got some time to relax and unwind in our fabulous spa.

If I could ask you to contact me so that I may investigate the items mentioned in your review, knowing the last room number and name will allow me to track back your experience. My email is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com
Thank you for choosing The Shelbourne Hotel on your recent trip to Dublin.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I travel to Dublin a couple of times a year on business and am always pleased to stay here - super service, great rooms, delcious dinner and breakfast and free wifi throughout hotel. Great spa - always look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Natascha C
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your fantastic comments on your recent and many stays with us at The Shelbourne Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback, the team and I are looking forward to welcoming in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me directly, should you require any assistance with any future bookings it would be my pleasure to personally take care of you.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

On one of my many visits to Bar 27 for birthday Cocktails I came across a very customer orientated staff member (Linda) who was very experienced in all aspects of making sure we had everything we possibly needed. As a business owner of many staff, it's hard to come by such enthusiastic staff.

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to review your experience in No 27 Bar on your recent visit to us. It was such a pleasure to read your feedback and I have passed your lovely comments to Linda who was delighted to hear that she was able to ensure your experience was memorable.

Linda and the team are looking forward to welcoming to back to The Shelbourne in the near future.