“Classy and classic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Melbourne, Australia
“Classy and classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We love this hotel, having stayed there several times during visits to Dublin. The hotel is classy, with a calming feeling as the doors are opened by the doormen. Reception staff are efficient, but it's the rooms that we have used that are the impressive element of the hotel - spacious with quality furnishings and great pillows. The proximity of the hotel allows for a relaxed wander through St Stephen's Green, a shopping expedition in the close by shops or a pint if Guinness in a local bar. Can't wait till we are in Dublin again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne C
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us; it is a pleasure to look after you on your visits to Dublin.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,
Please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of the guest relations team on your next visit, as it would be our wish to assist you with any future reservations.
rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Well, the fact that we have been coming here regularly since 1995 speaks volumes. There have been some changes over the years but it still remains a wonderful place to retreat to.
The Horseshoe Bar oozes charm and old time authenticity, staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are everything you would hope for, although some tables can be small and lacking in personal space. Rooms have everything you would want, because of Shelbourne's five star rating I would hope for a few more "special" touches - better quality coffee, some nibbles on arrival and maybe newer robes. All that said, I will be back for another short stay in a few weeks! Definitely my favourite Dublin hotel!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

At The Shelbourne we are always striving to improve, we appreciate feedback and utilise it all the time. It was a pleasure to read your kind words about our HorseShoe Bar and breakfast, these comments have been passed on and will act as a motivator for the staff during busy times.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Shelbourne Hotel in a few weeks,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

From the moment I entered the hotel I was extremely happy with the level of service and I felt compelled to write this email.
I was greeted by a very polite and kind young man ( by the name of John, a trainee I believe) who checked me in very quickly and could not do enough for me. My partner and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and he congratualted me whilst I was checking in.

When I arrived at the room, it was Impeccably clean & beautuiful. The bathroom was stunning and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!
Every single member of staff could not do more for us, we were even sent a bottle of wine and some macaroons as a gift from the hotel to mark the occasion.
In one particular instance, my partner had forgotten his hair gel, we asked at the front desk if they had any, unfortunately they did not, 10 minutes later a young man ( I did not get his name) knocked on our door with hair gel from his own locker in work and offered it to my partner.
The breakfast was to die for and the staff again were perfect.

The hotel itself is very beautiful and will always be an historic land mark in Dublins city centre, but the staff at the hotel made my experience 5 star all round.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to create a memorable experience on your 5th wedding anniversary. I have passed your lovely comments on to John, who will be delighted to hear them. At The Shelbourne Hotel we take a lot of time to train our staff in surprising and delighting our guests, I am happy to read that this was exemplified during your stay.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to the hotel in the near future,

Limerick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel blew me away the decor is fantastic, the food is spectacular but dear god the staff a stuck up and snotty. When I walked in one of them looked me up and down, she was very rude and did not seem to think I was good enough to be in the hotel and also failed to realise she does not actually own the hotel she only works there because of this I would not return to the shelbourne no hotel in the world is good enough to be treated like that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LetsBeHonestLike
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Shelbourne Hotel.

I was disappointed to read of the level of service you recieved and I invite you to contact me directly to discuss further the details of visit to the Shelbourne.

The team and I will look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to The Shelbourne in the future.

Hemet, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed many times at the Shelbourne in Dublin due to business. I thoroughly enjoy it and its location and when I went to Dublin on vacation, I definitely wanted to stay there. The staff is friendly and the concierges were helpful booking every tour and reservation that I needed. I would especially like to thank Keith who had to change one of my reservations several times and was most gracious about it. I highly recommend the high tea at the Shelbourne. It's outstanding. The airport Air Coach conveniently drops off and picks up near the hotel.

Rooms
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your excellent review of your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin. I hope that you will have an opportunity to return to us for pleasure in the near future.

It would be my pleasure to pass your fantastic comments to Keith our Concierge. Keith and the team strive to provide a seamless and memorable service each day and nothing is ever too much trouble.

Our Afternoon Tea is also certainly an experience not to be missed and I hope on your next visit you get to enjoy this again.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Accrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the weekend 8th & 9th August. The hotel entrance is magnificent and the staff very welcoming. In fact I cannot praise the staff highly enough every single member accommodated requests with a smile and enthusiasm.
We stayed in a newly refurbished queen room although small it was beautifully done and had everything you would require for a weekend away. A minor issue however was a constant hum from the air conditioner which went on all night even on turning it off.
Breakfast was busy but this did not stop the staff being efficient with all requests. The choice was extensive and the food quality good.
The leisure facilities were top notch and of good quality even though it is a complicated root through the hotel to find them.
All in all I would defiantly recommend The Shelbourne Hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Notdoneroming
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read about your recent experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. I am so pleased that you were able to make full use of the hotels facilities including the Spa and Health Club, and enjoyed our extensive Full Irish Buffet Breakfast.

I hope that the Shelbourne is your first choice hotel to stay on your next visit to Dublin. Please feel free to contact me directly should you require any assistance in a future reservation.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

A first trip to Ireland was amazing due to the Shelbourne Renaissance! This classic hotel is in a perfect location for city exploring and is very close to many shops and pubs. The hotel itself is similar to the Willard in Washington DC in terms of classic elegance and attentive staff. The room was beautiful with a mix of past and present. We ate breakfast in the restaurant each day and the buffet was exquisite. Housekeeping visited the room twice a day and kept things quite tidy. Yasmin and Sophie at the front desk were especially helpful and made our stay so pleasurable--greeting us upon arrival and checking on us during our stay. The concierge was very helpful and assisted our driver in locating the best route for a drive. We will be back to visit Ireland and will make the Shelbourne our hotel of choice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family