“Always delightful.”

Ranked #15 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Houston, Texas
“Always delightful.”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Superb location right on St Stephen's Green in the centre of the city. Extremely friendly and helpful staff, beautiful bars and public areas - especially the Horseshoe! Our room was extremely luxurious and spacious. Breakfast was excellent and the selection very wide. Love this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.
I was delighted to read of your enjoyable stay. We are very lucky with our location and I am happy that this added to your experience. Our staff will be pleased to know that they also played a role in creating a memorable stay for you.
On your next visit to Dublin please do not hesitate to contact me directly as it would be a pleasure to assist you with your next reservation.
rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here for a night in Dublin, really nice hotel.RIght in the center of everything,take a right and your beside the grafton street,Dawson street,Kildare street all the tourist sightseeing venues before your eyes.Across the road is st Stephens green beautiful park in the heart of dublin full of people just walking around,having lunch or just lying down and relaxing, really beautiful.Take a left your beside merrion st, big museum here, or just wall to baggot st,alot of nice bars here. The hotel itself was really nice the room was spacious, the view wasn't great, but it was really busy there at the time there was some horse show event on.THe staff were very polite and professional,the bar downstairs was amazing and full of all types of people, great vibe in it.The best part was breakfast the next morning, the buffet was amazing,full Irish breakfast, fresh squeezed juice, omelette made to order, different breads, fresh fruit, teas coffee, everything you could want.A wonderful experience and would recommend the shelbourne to anyone staying in dublin.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank shanecar
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments about your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed everything, and that you found breakfast to be such a treat.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

If you book through one of the websites that offer special discount deals you are in for a shock.
Special discount equates to poor accommodation.
The room was at the very back of the hotel,tired worn look and a night time surprise of some friendly bed bugs.
At breakfast we were shown to a back room even though there were tables near the front close to the self service breakfast,I was told these tables were reserved for tourists from the USA.
Breakfast was of poor standard with the self service in a very confined space
Save your money and book elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank OlderandWiser2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was disappointed to read of some of the experiences detailed in your review.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly to further investigate some of the issues raised. If you could please provide me with your reservation and stay details, that would be much appreciated.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Sophie Hird
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Marriott points.

The hotel is quite beautiful and blends the new with the historical features of the hotel. When I arrived at the hotel, the hotel staff assisted me with my bags and escorted me to the check-in area. The woman who assisted me with check-in was less than friendly and acted as if I were interrupting her. I authorized my credit card for room charges and received confirmation. I was given my room key and two complimentary beverage coupons, and then attempted to go to my room.

When I opened my room door, the room was in disarray; it was quite clear that this room was undergoing renovations. The furniture was pushed into the center of the room, the lighting was disassembled and paint buckets were everywhere.

On my way to the hotel lobby, a hotel staff person found me and apologized for the mistake and took me to my new room. After seeing the earlier room, it was quite clear that I had been upgraded (I'm not sure if it was because of my Marriott Elite Rewards status or because of the mistake; either way, I was appreciative).

The hotel room was beautiful and comfortable; my only complaint was that the mini-fridge was not usable for anything other than the pre-stocked items.

There is no executive lounge at this hotel for Marriott Elite Rewards guests so I went to the bar to use my free beverage coupons; when I tried to pay the tab, I was informed that there was no credit card on file and I was not authorized to charge to my room. This was quite embarrassing and frustrating since I had authorized my card earlier in the trip. I had to leave my traveling partner at the bar while I went to the reception desk to present my credit card for the second time.

As a Marriott Elite Rewards guest, breakfast was included with my room. Breakfast was very nice and offered a variety of options. To note - this is not a casual breakfast environment. I felt out of place without a collared shirt. In general, I did not feel comfortable lounging in the hotel lobby or bars in casual clothing.

I made use of the fitness center and it was impressive. There were actually three rooms, each offering different types of equipment. Of all the people I encountered at the hotel, the fitness center staff was the friendliest and most helpful.

Overall, I don't know that I would stay here again. I think I would have preferred to stay in a less "luxurious" hotel where I would have felt more comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the park (St. Stephen's Green) have the best views, although I'm almost cert...
2 Thank DCSuburbsTraveler
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at The Shelbourne Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and is an excellent tool for us to learn about our guests, and to continually provide a service and stay that you will always remember.

I would invite you to contact me directly with your reservation details, to enable me to investigate fully some of the areas brought to my attention.

I can assure you that the matters raised have been discussed with the relevant managers to ensure that these issues do not happen again.

It was pleased to read your comments regarding the Health Club and the team that looked after you. The team will be delighted to read of your experience.

Thank you again for your feedback and I will look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best Regards

Sophie Hird
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We love this hotel, having stayed there several times during visits to Dublin. The hotel is classy, with a calming feeling as the doors are opened by the doormen. Reception staff are efficient, but it's the rooms that we have used that are the impressive element of the hotel - spacious with quality furnishings and great pillows. The proximity of the hotel allows for a relaxed wander through St Stephen's Green, a shopping expedition in the close by shops or a pint if Guinness in a local bar. Can't wait till we are in Dublin again

1 Thank Anne C
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us; it is a pleasure to look after you on your visits to Dublin.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,
Please do not hesitate to contact myself or any of the guest relations team on your next visit, as it would be our wish to assist you with any future reservations.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Well, the fact that we have been coming here regularly since 1995 speaks volumes. There have been some changes over the years but it still remains a wonderful place to retreat to.
The Horseshoe Bar oozes charm and old time authenticity, staff are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts are everything you would hope for, although some tables can be small and lacking in personal space. Rooms have everything you would want, because of Shelbourne's five star rating I would hope for a few more "special" touches - better quality coffee, some nibbles on arrival and maybe newer robes. All that said, I will be back for another short stay in a few weeks! Definitely my favourite Dublin hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

At The Shelbourne we are always striving to improve, we appreciate feedback and utilise it all the time. It was a pleasure to read your kind words about our HorseShoe Bar and breakfast, these comments have been passed on and will act as a motivator for the staff during busy times.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Shelbourne Hotel in a few weeks,
Reviewed 12 August 2014

From the moment I entered the hotel I was extremely happy with the level of service and I felt compelled to write this email.
I was greeted by a very polite and kind young man ( by the name of John, a trainee I believe) who checked me in very quickly and could not do enough for me. My partner and I were celebrating our 5 year anniversary and he congratualted me whilst I was checking in.

When I arrived at the room, it was Impeccably clean & beautuiful. The bathroom was stunning and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!
Every single member of staff could not do more for us, we were even sent a bottle of wine and some macaroons as a gift from the hotel to mark the occasion.
In one particular instance, my partner had forgotten his hair gel, we asked at the front desk if they had any, unfortunately they did not, 10 minutes later a young man ( I did not get his name) knocked on our door with hair gel from his own locker in work and offered it to my partner.
The breakfast was to die for and the staff again were perfect.

The hotel itself is very beautiful and will always be an historic land mark in Dublins city centre, but the staff at the hotel made my experience 5 star all round.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Shelbourne Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that we were able to create a memorable experience on your 5th wedding anniversary. I have passed your lovely comments on to John, who will be delighted to hear them. At The Shelbourne Hotel we take a lot of time to train our staff in surprising and delighting our guests, I am happy to read that this was exemplified during your stay.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to the hotel in the near future,