“Wonderful stay!”

Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Santa Maria, California
“Wonderful stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights the end of July and loved our stay. Great location. We walked to most places or took the hop on hop off bus. The hotel is lovely inside and the staff was excellent .Had a deluxe room which was big and comfortable .No view( but didn't spend that much time in room). But it did have air conditioning which was needed because they were having another hot spell!! We stayed in 2 hotels in Scotland and 2 more in Ireland and this was the only one to have air conditioning!
The afternoon tea was wonderful. Also like the Shelbourne dinner in the Mayor's lounge.
Had breakfast included with our room. Breakfast was buffet and had a good variety, plus you could order off the menu-pancakes,omelets and eggs benedict etc.
Would stay here again if we ever get back to Ireland!!!.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the remodeled rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to read your lovely comments about the supper in the Lord Mayors Lounge and also that you enjoyed the breakfast. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall.

I do hope you will get the chance to visit Ireland again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back to The Shelbourne Hotel.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (615)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Shelburne Hotel on our way to a Van Morrison concert outside Belfast . We stayed again on our way back. We found the level of service to be excellent and the Dubliners very warm and attentive. The hotel reminded us somewhat of the St. Regis in NYC. It faces St. Stephen's green which is an excellent location. When we arrived we stayed in a large room facing Kildare St. which was wonderful. There are larger and smaller rooms in hotels of this era all priced similarly, so ask for a larger room. On our way back to Dublin we faced the green which was even better than the first room. Generally the staff was very helpful and the location was perfect! Don't eat at the hotel, get out into the neighborhood. For breakfast and lunch there is a small restaurant down the street called "The Hatch" which has wonderful organic and fresh dishes. The concierge also made us a reservation at " Matt the Thresher" where Michelle Obama had eaten 2 nights before.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank donald n
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two visits to the hotel.
I am pleased to hear that our Concierge team were helpful in making dinner reservations for you and that you were able to sample some of the local gems in Dublin.

I hope that on your next visit to Dublin, The Shelbourne will be your first choice hotel to return. If I can assist in the future with any reservations, please feel free to contact me directly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

Walking into the front door is a step back in time. The beautiful craftsmanship with design details are amazing. Enjoyable time spent in the lounge as be began our discovery of Dublin. The location of The Shelbourne is perfect. Across the street is the (On and Off) bus stop. Within walking distance of all the action to restaurants and bars. The rooms were exceptional and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was a pleasure to read about your family vacation. We are very lucky to have such a wonderful location and it is great to hear that this added to your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Shelbourne Hotel in the near future,

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I have to be honest, despite living in Dublin for most of my adult life I had not been through the doors of the Shelbourne Hotel until I received a gift voucher for the Spa on Mothering Sunday. With a good excuse to try out the hotel, I booked rooms for myself and my sister for the night before the Spa treatments as a special treat.
What can I say? From start to finish, the break from ordinary life's concerns was an absolute pleasure. I now realise to what others have been referring for so long. The friendliness of the staff made the brief stay very special, at no stage did we feel anything other than valued. The rooms were extremely comfortable, clean, quiet and relaxing. The staff were gracious and welcoming. It is a very nice, top quality hotel but only acknowledging that would do a disservice to the ambience and gracious welcome we experienced.
The atmosphere seemed to rub off on the guests as the residents bar was conducive to relaxed conversation between the tables of guests having a drink before retiring to enjoy the very comfortable beds.
Breakfast was delicious and plentiful both in quality, choice and service.
The Spa treatment was the icing on the cake and I left the whole Shelbourne experience refreshed and relaxed, everything I could have hoped for.
I would not hesitate in finding an excuse to return to this very special place, my only problem is that it is so very, very accessible and the temptation is consequently very, very strong!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ruth123
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback and for taking the time to do so.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed the stay from start to finish, including our breakfast, the SPA and the friendliness of the staff. The Team will be enamoured at your kind words and will serve as a great motivator for the busy season ahead.

Please feel free to contact me directly on your next stay and it will be my pleasure to assist you with any requests or queries you might have.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Kindest Regards,

Barbara Casanova
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Don't go with gift vouchers. We did and the treatment we received was disgraceful. Qued to reception at 1330 approx for check in. You will have to wait in the lobby until we call you. Ok but 40mminutes later without any staff interaction whatsoever. Eventually we approached the desk informing the clerk as to our predicament. She could not have been more rude. I quote " are you two together". We were eventually escorted through a maze of corridors to the most pathetic little room overlooking a car park and directly facing an office block. Whow !!! The day was unexpectedly hot, the room stifling. We couldn't hear ourselves think when we switched on the air conditioning, so we spent the whole day & evening out then returned to suffer. Up first thing for breakfast where we were greeted cordially and seated. The breakfast came, nothing special apart from the cold plates. I happened to catch the attention of the chef to ask a simple question . Go and find one of them out there. Even at checkout we had same girl with bad attitude. We left feeling really disappointed & booked into the morrison, which was excellent. Review will follow

Room Tip: Look first
Green Features: None the air conditioning nearly choked us and was so noisy we couldn't use it. When you opened the windows traffic noise & pollution
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank dollie62
GuestRelationsDublin, Guest Relations Manager at The Shelbourne Dublin, A Renaissance Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. I was truly disappointed to learn of the issues you experienced and I regret not having the opportunity to resolve them myself. I would be delighted to discuss some of the items you mentioned at your earliest convenience. My email address is rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.com.

I would recommend in the future reserving a Heritage Park View room should you wish for a view. This way you can guarantee a room overlooking St Stephens Green, Ireland's best known Victorian park and still avail of the hotel's central location.

Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindest regards,

Barbara Casanova
Waterford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recent spent an overnight at the Shelbourne for his birthday. As we had stayed last year for our wedding anniversary we couldn't resist going again.. I love arriving at the Shelbourne as it feels like a home away from home....a welcome the minute you step out of the car. We like to arrive early to make the most of the time in the city.
Which is perfect as the valet parking is excellent. We provisionally checked in and reception would give us a call if our room was ready before the check In time. We left and went to the lunch time concert just down the road at the national concert hall... Then had lunch during this Corinne from reception rang to say our room was ready early. Perfect.
A lovely surprise awaited in the form of a room upgrade to a suite!!!!!
In a word.....DIVINE. A massively spacious suite greeted us.
Luxurious decor, huge king size bed. Pure indulgence....
We simply loved it. So much so we came back from dinner early that evening to enjoy it.
The sleep we had that evening was fab,
We ordered breakfast to the room which was gorgeous, perfectly good and tasty.. Having reluctantly checked out we left our luggage with the wonderful Denis and we to another lunch time concert and a small bit of shopping.. We picked up our car after 2pm which isn't a problem.... Every member of staff was wonderful.
We had a lovely lovely stay. And looking forward to arriving for another stay....

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Felicity F
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. I was delighted to read about your lovely stay.

We look forward to your return,

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I will never forget my experience in the Shelbourne hotel. I had booked a room for myself and my girlfriend last September. I explained to the reservations team on the phone that I was planning to propose in the room so if there was anything they could do to help me make it more special I would really appreciate it....On the day I couldn't have been given a better service...I checked in earlier to set up the room with a few things, and upon check-in I was met by a fantastic guest relations manager who put me immediately at ease.. the hotel had arranged to upgrade my booking to the one of the presidential suites. They were also fully available for all my needs on the day...Trust me this was a great support to have at such a nerve wrecking time....
I was brought up to the room and when I opened the door was completely overwhelmed..What a setting! The room was incredible...
When I arrived with my girlfriend later that day, the guest relations manager was waiting to open the car door and give us both a warm welcome. I had to pretend to check in a second time and found the girl behind the desk understod very quickly what was happening. She pretended to check me in as normal and adapted excellently to the situation.
My girlfriend had no idea what was happening yet I felt I had the support of every single hotel associate around me....
When we arrived in the room, the whole experience was unforgettable..5 stars doesnt it justice..As soon as she said yes, the guest relations team sent up champagne to celebrate.. Its hard to put into words as this review cannot do justice to the fantastic experience the hotel has given us.
Thanks to everyone at the shelbourne for such a fantastic and unforgettable experience...Something we will NEVER forget...We will certainly be back....!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Shelbourne Hotel. It was an absolute pleasure to read your lovely review. I am delighted to hear that our Guest Relations team were at hand and able to put you at ease on such an important day for you and your fiancé.
Your comments have been passed on to all of team and they are delighted that everything went according to plan. Should you and your fiancé be returning to the hotel please do not hesitate to contact our guest relations team as it would be a pleasure to assist you with a reservation.
Congratulations again to you both from all the team at The Shelbourne.

rhi.dubbr.guest.relations@renaissancehotels.