“1 week at the Student Accomodation”

Trinity College Campus
Ranked #75 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I have been at the student accomodation for around 1 week during the summer period whe Trinity College rent the room to external people.

I really believe that the price paid for the room doesn't match what you get. Prices are too high in relation to the quality you get.
The reception is really far away from the room, for sure they bring you there by car when you arrive but when you leave you have to arrive until the entrace to check out.
The room are quite good, with a confortable bed. By the way it is not possible to access internet connection from the room and it needs to go into pubblic area to access it with wireless, basically all the people stay in the area in front of the elevator with laptop, phone etc ...sitting on the floor or stand up (very awful to surf on internet on that way).
The buffet breakfast is quite good and variuos.
Room are clean but the cleaner arrive really early in the morning and wake up you ... a day the clener arrived in my room at 8.15 AM ...therefore if you spent night out ... don't hope not rest in peace in the morning. The doors of the appartment are really heavy and everytime someone open it the are really noisy.

In short I believe that for the pain you get, it is possible to find different accomodation at a better price around Dublin.

Room Tip: there are some ensuite room, try to go for it
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank GaetanoR936

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Our room was one of four in a purpose built student apartment with kitchen and two shower rooms. Although basic and utilitarian it was really convenient and staff in the accommodation office were very helpful. They were kind enough to store our luggage from early when we arrived, and had it taken to our rooms, so we could enjoy our first day. The campus is ancient and beautiful and our location gave us serious bragging rights! Highly recommended if you want to revisit student living and be right in the centre of things.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gilmit
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We visited Trinity College to see the Book of Kells which I believe is something everyone needs to see and know the history behind it. I can now mark it off my bucket list. The architecture is remarkable and the upstairs library is jaw dropping. Truly amazing and a must see.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Good value and fantastic location, central, easy access to public transportation. Basic but clean. Breakfast good although not clear as to what is included. Would recommend staying here mostly b/c of location. Took the tour which included history of college and visit of library and book of Kells, excellent.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and hairdryer.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lou984039
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed on the campus for a girls weekend in Dublin. Great apartment with comfortable beds.

Towels changed daily and good working kitchen.

Only real gripe was that there weren't any mirrors near power plugs which made hair styling a challenge but we managed to wangle a free standing mirror from reception.

Staff friendly and helpful

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed at Trinity College Dublin for a weekend away in the city with some friends. Given the extorionate hotel and B&B prices in the area, Trinity seemed like a modest offering at a fair price (€120 per night for a twin room, en-suite, with continental breakfast). In addition to the price, this ticked the box for being well located by Temple Bar & O'Connell Street. Plus I've stayed in campus accommodation before and had very good experiences.

Arrival was early on a Friday afternoon, and check-in was smooth. Reception explained everything, and provided us with an information booklet which included some convoluted rules on which entrance gate to use, during which timeslot, and on which days days of the week. This seemed a little daft, almost bureaucratic, but we laughed it off as a quirk.

We left reception and took in the atmosphere of the campus, along with its grand buildings, and stunning architecture. We then found our building, went inside, and the wow-factor started to wane. Behind the slammer door, we found a very VERY basic room. Ok in size, but nothing bar 2 single beds, a small wardrobe, a chair and a table. The bedding was the cheapest I've ever seen, with a duvet barely wide enough to cover the bed. The walls were painted plaster (with bulges & cracks) so it needs some TLC, but it was at least clean.

The bathroom was tiny. Sink & toilet were perfectly accessible, but the shower... I didn't know they made them that small! It was certainly powerful enough for a good blast, but almost impossible to wash below the knees, as bending down puts you in the precarious predicament of having your face squashed against one wall, and your buttocks against the opposite wall! The "bath mat" was an insult too - made of crate paper, while a single towel was also provided per person.

We paid a premium of €42 per night for the privillege of having an en suite. While I appreciate that once the room has been built, the shower unit is what it is, but surely some of this cash could have gone on more towels? On the subject of towels, more silly rules then emerged. The level of housekeeping varies by day. Apparently a full service of the room happens on weekdays, but Saturdays simply see new towels delivered, while Sundays have a "limited" service (I dread to think, but thankfully we checked out on Sunday morning). It's all well and good to vary the level of service depending on the day of the week, but the price is the same everyday.

Overnight, the beds were comfortable enough, and the rooms were pretty quiet. I did at one point have to put earplugs in as I could hear "activities" in the bedroom upstairs, and the big heavy doors slam really loud in the mornings. But generally I slept well and felt refreshed in the mornings. But the mornings brought the final insult... breakfast!

All bookings come with a continental breakfast included, and the website states that a full Irish breakfast is available for €4 per person, per day. On Saturday morning, with the remnants of Friday night's drinks still in my system, I felt the need for a cooked breakfast. Cue the next set of confusing rules. A hot breakfast apparently consists of 5 items (not a "full" breakfast then). However, the definition of an "item" varies depending on your choices. For example, a sausage constitutes 1 item, but an item of bacon comprises of 2 rashers.

I worked it out before too long in my haziness and went to pay with a card (as I'd spent all my Euros the previous night). "No" came the friendly greeting. "Oh, don't you take card?" I asked (having paid reception for the room on a card, so it stood to reason they'd be consistent across campus). "No" again was the articulate response. "Can I charge to my room then?". The flirtation continued with another rendition of "NO!" At this point I had to borrow from my friends. Had I not so desparately wanted the meal, I would've told her what to do with it, but she probably would've politely declined that too.

However, forewarned is forearmed and I made sure I held €4 back on Saturday night for Sunday's breakfast. Sunday morning came and before committing to the hot offering, I thought I'd give serious consideration to the continental selection. This however was very basic. A couple of types of sliced bread, fruit scones, croissants, a vat of tinned fruit segments, yoghurt, and a couple of cereals. There were more annoyingc rules governing this bland-fest, such as limiting you to only 3 bread products. Now I've had continental breakfasts in many places (including on the continent itself) and they usually shape up better & more varied than this. So I relented again and went for the upgrade.

Having happily picked the perfect breakfast for me, and within the confines of the item rules, I proudly went to the till where a much nicer lady was serving, and I happily paid in cash. I went to join my friends and tucked into... my tepid bacon and ice cold scrambled eggs. My friends confirmed they'd had the same issue, but were hungry enough to work through it. Having been treated with disdain the previous day, I wasn't going to eat cold food. So I returned to the till with my plate.

The nicer lady referred me to the kitchen staff behind the servery. I tried to get their attention and, after several attempts at ignoring my presence, one reluctantly turned around. Unfortunately it was the "no" lady from yesterday. I explained that my egg & bacon was cold and could they replace it please. I assumed she would replace the vats that had cooled and allow me to serve myself again. But with a co-operative rolling of the eyes, she simply put my plate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Good enough to make my breakfast edible, but what about all the other poor customers?

Check-out time came and we went to drop the key off (along with a thoroughly filled comment card). Now... check-out must be by 10am, and we attended reception just before then. Obviously this is always going to be peak time, so why on earth did they only have 1 person on reception? Much queuing later, we escaped. Hurrah!

Where I feel Trinity is going wrong is that they're treating paying guests like students. I don't appreciate bizarre rules which regulate coming & going times & locations, what days my room gets serviced on & to what extent, what constitutes a breakfast item, and being spoken to like garbage by service staff. I felt less like a paying guest and more like a prison inmate.

The only saving grace is its central location, which was great for getting out & about. That is, of course, if you can remember what entrance you need to come back through depending on the day & time. Pathetic!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay somewhere that values you as a customer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank x2k
Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Well, top marks on location and staff. There is also free WiFi on campus; unfortunately out of range of the newer residences where we were staying; kind of odd for a more modern addition... The free continental (uncooked) breakfast was also acceptable although we stayed in similarly priced hotels elsewhere which included a full cooked Irish breakfast...

Unfortunately, the newer Goldsmith Hall residences where we stated for a week included razor thin glass windows facing a busy downtown street. It honestly sounded as though the windows were wide open; there was no difference between the first and third floors we tried. For us, this meant that we weren't able to get a good night's sleep during our entire stay.

We will look for more quiet accomodations elsewhere in the city centre next time we come to Dublin; even if it means paying a few Euro extra.

• Stayed: June 2013