“Not 4 star...”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #114 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at the Mercantile whilst in Dublin for business. It's a really quirky little place, which usually I love, and all the 'public' areas are pretty cool looking (if a little worn). On arrival I was greeted by the lovely receptionist who was very helpful and checked me in quickly as I was running late. In terms of location, geographically it's great. I was participating in a conference at Dublin Castle which is a 3 minute walk.

I didn't pay much attention to my room when I dropped my bag, but when I returned after dinner (about 10pm) I realised that there were only two main lights (one in the bathroom, one in the hall by the door). There was a small lamp by the bed but it wasn't sufficient to read by. I also noticed that there was some peeling wallpaper both in the bedroom and the bathroom (see pictures). The decor was dated and there were only two pillows on the bed which was fine for me but not really enough of there are two of you. Also, the bed wasn't made properly (the sheet wasn't tucked under the mattress) so I had to do that myself. These are all things I can live with, but the real downside was the noise. Because the front of the hotel faces on to Dame Street, it was extremely noisy. For those who don't know Dublin, Dame Street is one of the main thoroughfares so although it's excellent for exploring the city, if you want a good night's sleep I'd recommend you look at another hotel.

The breakfast in the morning was great. Service was a bit slow (despite not being busy), but when it arrived it was lovely. They make everything to order and all their bread is homemade and fresh daily.

In summary, this is an ok hotel in a great location with lovely staff but if you want peace and quiet and 4 star quality decor/rooms then go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed in a quad room with three friends, room had a double bed and two single beds....Room was very big, and bathroom was lovely. Great location in the city centre and yes there was some noise but its a busy city so its to be expected! Was a bit nervous on check-in as I had read some of the reviews but the room was great and shouldnt have been worried at all. Would recommend this hotel to everyone and will stay in it again :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Irishnic1982
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Mercantile Hotel is in a great location if you don't mind staying awake most of the night. Local hotels seem to stay open to the wee small hours every day.
The staff there are very helpful, but the building needs a lot of work done to it. My room was small and the furniture was tatty, missing handles to drawers etc. Small room with dark furniture, walls and bed covers makes for a very dull and uninviting appearance. Breakfast OK.....

Room Tip: My room was out the back and was very noisy, as there were two pubs in the lane below, I spoke to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed in a triple room in this hotel for the night.My two sisters and I were going to Westlife we paid 93 euro each for just the room, no breakfast. I think we were totally ripped off. Basic is an understatement. The room was pretty small and very shabby.The beds were like sleeping on concrete. There was very little light coming into the room as the window was facing the building next door. There was pigeons everywhere, the sill was full of pigeon dirt and they were perched on the ledge for most of our stay. The bathroom tiles were all cracked and broken and there was holes in the wall in the bathroom.The curtains were full of stains and smelly they did not seem to have ever been cleaned. Yes the bed sheets were clean but thats about it. The staff were all very nice as well but overall very very basic.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 486donna
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times over the past couple of years. The rooms are basic and quite small but the hotel has a friendly, cosy feel to it. The lady on reception is extremely helpful. The hotel bar serves delicious cocktails, the margaritas in particular. The location is perfect for going out or shopping, you're right in the middle of everything. The only downside is there can be quiet a bit of noise at weekends and you may have to negotiate your way through crowds of smokers and drinkers outside to get into the hotel at night. Maybe not great for a family break.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed at the Mercantile for 3 nights. The hotel is in the trendy Temple Bar area, which is the late night party spot in Dublin. As such, it was as noisy as expected but I didn't lose any sleep - and I'm a light sleeper. The room's furniture was dated but comfortable, there was a hot water pot and tea in the room, and our bathroom was large. The internet service only worked in the lobby area, which was little more than a hallway and quite noisy since it was adjacent to the Mercantile Bar.

Of the 5 hotels we stayed in while traveling in Europe, the reception staff at the Mercantile was the most friendly and helpful. We had already booked tours when we arrived, but the charming lady at the front desk was quick to offer suggestions on places to eat, things to do, and sights to see. She also was incredibly helpful in giving directions to particular locations in the area.

When we arrived back to the hotel later in the evenings, access was limited via room cards due to the bar scene, and strangely from time to time we'd see a "go see someone at the bar" sign at the reception desk in the later evening. Overall though, it was a reasonably priced comfortable hotel in the heart of the busiest area in Dublin.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Centrahotel, Guest Relations Manager at Mercantile Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you for your kind review. We love to get positive feedback and are delighted that you were happy with the service you recived here at the Mercantile Hotel.
We hope you make a return trip and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hotel Had old fashioned furniture but was very clean and the very big bed had lovely crisp clean sheets. The shower had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was great. There was a bath in the room which was good also. Bit noisy outside at night but that's to be expected in dublin city centre. The room was toasty warm. But the best thing about the hotel was the staff. Although our dealings were minimal, From booking to check out, They were so friendly and accommodating. We arrived in a rush to eat and get ready for a wedding and the man that checked us in was so helpful in making food suggestions and in the end food was delivered to our room with no apparent room Service charge. The staff waved us off in our way to the wedding and asked about it on our return and checkout. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012
Centrahotel, Public Relations Manager at Mercantile Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at The Mercantile Hotel. Our hotel is located in the city centre and we do experience some on street noise but we do have quiet rooms for light sleepers.
We really look forward to welcoming you back to The Mercantile Hotel in the future