“Great Location, Terrible Customer Service”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #112 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Location, Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

On arrival the desk staff was very friendly but on return from a concert we were faced with the rudest barman / night porter I have ever come across. The doors were clearly locked when we used our key card to get in & he barked at us saying we were doing it wrong. He then refused to serve all but one of us at the bar & would not allow any charges to be put on the room. I had booked the room online & when I asked for a copy of my booking I was horrifed that all my credit card details were on the booking and the same barman had access to print it off. In my profession I practically live out of hotels and can honestly say I have never ever been treated in such a rude and disgusting manner. The rooms are very run down and nothing like what's shown on their website with high noise levels which you might excuse for a good location. Stay well clear of this place.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the room they have on their website photos
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank KuriousKate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Was perfect location for doing what we wanted to do in downtown Dublin. Only 1-2 blocks from the Old Stone Church where several day tours leave from. Has free Wi-Fi but doesn't always work in the room. Be careful, the door to our room opened to a staircase we weren't warned about, I was lucky to notice them in time to avoid falling. Rooms are older but fine, and we had earplugs so the street noise didn't bother us. Our wake-up call the morning of our flight back was 15 minutes late, so make sure you have your travel alarm set.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We chose this hotel based on 1) location and 2) price, and we're not disappointed. The hotel is located close to all the major sites, and is just a block from a hop-on-hop-off bus stop, as well as being very near restaurants, bars, and shopping. The hotel staff was very helpful. While the hotel is rather worn, it was clean and was a great value. It was rather noisy Sunday night due to the bar party life in the area, but was much more quiet the rest of our stay.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Woodside, California
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We loved the location, and everyone on your staff was warm and helpful. However, the noise at night was unbearable. We could not talk to each other or watch tv. I've traveled to over 45 countries, and previously, my noisiest hotel experience was a hotel next to a camel farm in Egypt. But at least there, the animals also slept at night, it was just the crazy sounds at dawn. Here, the DJ played until 3am. One would have to be completely drunk to sleep through it.

The room was small, and greatly needed updating. There was tiny TV.

We did sincerely enjoy the staff, and the breakfast was tasty. We enjoyed the location, but we could never stay there again. Perhaps just for drinks at the bar.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at the Mercantile whilst in Dublin for business. It's a really quirky little place, which usually I love, and all the 'public' areas are pretty cool looking (if a little worn). On arrival I was greeted by the lovely receptionist who was very helpful and checked me in quickly as I was running late. In terms of location, geographically it's great. I was participating in a conference at Dublin Castle which is a 3 minute walk.

I didn't pay much attention to my room when I dropped my bag, but when I returned after dinner (about 10pm) I realised that there were only two main lights (one in the bathroom, one in the hall by the door). There was a small lamp by the bed but it wasn't sufficient to read by. I also noticed that there was some peeling wallpaper both in the bedroom and the bathroom (see pictures). The decor was dated and there were only two pillows on the bed which was fine for me but not really enough of there are two of you. Also, the bed wasn't made properly (the sheet wasn't tucked under the mattress) so I had to do that myself. These are all things I can live with, but the real downside was the noise. Because the front of the hotel faces on to Dame Street, it was extremely noisy. For those who don't know Dublin, Dame Street is one of the main thoroughfares so although it's excellent for exploring the city, if you want a good night's sleep I'd recommend you look at another hotel.

The breakfast in the morning was great. Service was a bit slow (despite not being busy), but when it arrived it was lovely. They make everything to order and all their bread is homemade and fresh daily.

In summary, this is an ok hotel in a great location with lovely staff but if you want peace and quiet and 4 star quality decor/rooms then go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed in a quad room with three friends, room had a double bed and two single beds....Room was very big, and bathroom was lovely. Great location in the city centre and yes there was some noise but its a busy city so its to be expected! Was a bit nervous on check-in as I had read some of the reviews but the room was great and shouldnt have been worried at all. Would recommend this hotel to everyone and will stay in it again :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irishnic1982
Otaki Beach, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Mercantile Hotel is in a great location if you don't mind staying awake most of the night. Local hotels seem to stay open to the wee small hours every day.
The staff there are very helpful, but the building needs a lot of work done to it. My room was small and the furniture was tatty, missing handles to drawers etc. Small room with dark furniture, walls and bed covers makes for a very dull and uninviting appearance. Breakfast OK.....

Room Tip: My room was out the back and was very noisy, as there were two pubs in the lane below, I spoke to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo