“Started off badly, ended well.”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #114 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Service:
When we got to the hotel, the receptionist said all but 2 words to us. She handed over the keys and said the room number and that was it. No 'hi' or 'welcome to dublin' or 'where are you from', etc. Nothing at all. You could tell that she was less than content to be at work.

The next day, we left our room for some city exploring. When we came back to the hotel room later on that evening, the door to our room was WIDE OPEN. We couldn't believe it. We spent a good 30 minutes going through our suitcases to make sure nothing had been taken and miraculously, nothing was gone. We went to tell the receptionist and she just apologized and said she'd talk to the manager the next day. I kept thinking of how irresponsible that was, that a staff member would leave the door to a customer's room for an entire day. Anyways, the next day, the lady that had left our door open gave us a heartfelt apology and left us a bottle of champagne in the room that evening. I was glad that the hotel had taken responsibility and had apologized but still, it would have been brutal had our luggage and passports been taken.

Room and location:
Apart from that, the rooms were clean and the hotel was in an amazing location. If you're okay with being woken up every morning at 7:30am by kegs being rolled right beneath your window on the cobblestone street, than you should be okay. Also, the noise from the bars on the street go on until about 2am. We brought ear plugs and knew that it would be noisy but we didn't realize that it would be THAT noisy. Still, i'm glad we stayed at that hotel for the price and the location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Great little hotel. Friendly, attentive staff.

Good fry up in the morning - and a really good hotel bar.

I personally had no noise issues, despite being right on the road - perhaps that was the Guiness.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had a couple of nights in the Mercantile.
I arrived very early at the hotel, and the hotel staff on the reception were very accommodating, and got me a room within half an hour. Thank you.
The downside was, it was facing Dame Street, and was very noisy.
They did however offer me a room at the back, which was lovely and quiet. Thank it.
It was a small double room, nicely decorated, but a little warm.
The shower in the room was a little unreliable, but when it was working, the water pressure was good.
The hotel is in a good location, close to Temple Bar and the shops in Grafton Street.
There are some nice restaurants around and the Mercantile bar is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from Dame Street
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We spent luckily only one night at this hotel. Surrounding is quite noisy, we used our travel earplugs to be able to sleep. Very old room and furnitures. It is more likely a hostel room rather than a hotel room, don't expect any luxury. Safe was already locked! We paid way too much for his poor room. I think it is too expensive for its condition, we had to get drunk to sleep!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I selected this hotel because of its location, which was great. It is near all the historic Dublin city sights as well as Temple Bar nightlife, Grafton Street shopping and Trinity College. The Mercantile bar and restaurants downstairs is beautiful, too. I like old buildings and was expecting this one to have some worn-in energy. So I was not surprised to find nicks in the furnishings and old tile and fittings in the bathroom. What I was not expecting was the heat-wave Dublin was going to be experiencing while I stayed there. The rooms do not have air conditioning, which is typical for the city. However, they also do not have fans and that would have made all the difference. The air was stagnant and humid in the hotel rooms and we were uncomfortable the entirety of our stay. We also had trouble sleeping because of the lumpy beds and stiff pillows. The noise outside from the neighboring bars did not help either. The stay would have been perfectly nice had we had a fan in our room and better mattresses and/or pillows.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with some friends during a weekend trip to Dublin. Nice somewhat worn hotel with pub/restaurant downstairs. Hotel was clean but pretty nondescript. Small flat screen tv, bed, comforter, pillow, bathtub, shower. Furniture was dated and seen its better days. Staff was.very nice, friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions for touring.
Location was absolutely perfect, centrally located for temple bar pubs, shopping, trinity college,archaeology museum,
Somewhat loud at night given the location but beds were comfortable and I had no problem sleeping.....I don't know, maybe the Guinness.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Leo15
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in May on business. The reception staff were extremely helpful and offered us some good tips when visiting the city. I had a double room 202 on the second floor facing the main road and as most people have pointed out the rooms are a little tired in places which is to be expected but there is no excuse for cleanliness. Most people have also pointed out the problems with the windows and noise and I agree it is unfortunate and although you expect noise in the centre of Dublin it was like having the window open! Luckily I sleep through most things so my night sleep wasn't too disturbed. Some small changes to this hotel could make such a big difference. Breakfast at the hotel was good although I didn't go for the full Irish the Continental was excellent.
The location of the hotel is excellent and I would also recommend visiting the Cafe shop next door which had a wonderful selection of cakes and sandwiches

Room Tip: The higher floors will be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business