“A great budget hotel with awesome staff and location.”
Review of Mercantile Hotel

Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #113 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
San Diego, California
“A great budget hotel with awesome staff and location.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My friend and I were staying at a HORRID hotel, so bad that we went walking about to find somewhere else to stay. We headed for the area we wanted and liked the looks of The Mercantile. Upon entering the gleaming, wood-paneled lobby with a massive arrangement of star-gazers, we were greeted by the loveliest woman at the front desk. She fixed us up with a room immediately, we got the last room. PHEW! Even though this is clearly an older hotel it thankfully had an elevator and I was pleased there were no funky smells (my personal pet peeve). Our room was very clean with a view overlooking Dame street. I was impressed by the good-sized bathroom for a budget hotel, it even had a tub! The beds were fine. Now, if you are looking for very quiet stay, this may not be the hotel for you. Our room was on the Dame St. side which overlooks a hustling and bustling Dublin, afternoon and evening. That's what we wanted, to see and experience the city and people. Apparently rooms on the alley side are quieter. The location of the hotel is premium, minutes walk to anything, Temple Bar, Trinity College, shopping, about 30 minutes to the Guinness Storehouse. There's an amazing high-end grocery store one block south and another block over is the best French Bakery/Cafe I've ever been in, Le Petite Parisian. Directly out the door is "The Stag's Head" Bar and two others. The bar that is attached to the hotel is just beautiful, unfortunately I didn't discover it until the last night or I would've been in there more. I just loved the ladies that manned the front desk. They offered directions, advice, and one of them nearly vaulted over the counter as I walked out the front doors with my handbag slung over my back, instead of under my arm. She caught me just going out the door and spun my bag around so it was in the front, warning me of all the pickpockets. We really felt like we were being taken care of by our long-lost aunts, especially this being a girl's trip. If you're looking for a great central location on a budget and don't mind hearing the city, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Hip party-people you want a room on the Dame St. side. If you want a quieter room, ask for a room o...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel on a guys sports weekend. The hotel is clean and basic and really central. For the price charged this hotel is ideal for a cheap and cheerful weekend. It is in a great location for sites and nightlife. No negatives and would return.

• Stayed April 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed in June. Window broken in room, no fridge no milk on comp tray. Went to ask for milk, was given jug. (No fridge - milk went sour) The best thing about this hotel is 2 feet away is temple bar. Nothing else is good, noise is strong all night long. The hotel bar is not at all gay friendly, doormen refused access - until we showed our room key. Breakfast ok ish, but ample. No cooked breakfast included in tariff, just continental. (With toast)

Room Tip: dont think there is a good room - all are noisy
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 5teviechops

Travellers are raving about these Dublin hotels

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Service:
When we got to the hotel, the receptionist said all but 2 words to us. She handed over the keys and said the room number and that was it. No 'hi' or 'welcome to dublin' or 'where are you from', etc. Nothing at all. You could tell that she was less than content to be at work.

The next day, we left our room for some city exploring. When we came back to the hotel room later on that evening, the door to our room was WIDE OPEN. We couldn't believe it. We spent a good 30 minutes going through our suitcases to make sure nothing had been taken and miraculously, nothing was gone. We went to tell the receptionist and she just apologized and said she'd talk to the manager the next day. I kept thinking of how irresponsible that was, that a staff member would leave the door to a customer's room for an entire day. Anyways, the next day, the lady that had left our door open gave us a heartfelt apology and left us a bottle of champagne in the room that evening. I was glad that the hotel had taken responsibility and had apologized but still, it would have been brutal had our luggage and passports been taken.

Room and location:
Apart from that, the rooms were clean and the hotel was in an amazing location. If you're okay with being woken up every morning at 7:30am by kegs being rolled right beneath your window on the cobblestone street, than you should be okay. Also, the noise from the bars on the street go on until about 2am. We brought ear plugs and knew that it would be noisy but we didn't realize that it would be THAT noisy. Still, i'm glad we stayed at that hotel for the price and the location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Great little hotel. Friendly, attentive staff.

Good fry up in the morning - and a really good hotel bar.

I personally had no noise issues, despite being right on the road - perhaps that was the Guiness.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I had a couple of nights in the Mercantile.
I arrived very early at the hotel, and the hotel staff on the reception were very accommodating, and got me a room within half an hour. Thank you.
The downside was, it was facing Dame Street, and was very noisy.
They did however offer me a room at the back, which was lovely and quiet. Thank it.
It was a small double room, nicely decorated, but a little warm.
The shower in the room was a little unreliable, but when it was working, the water pressure was good.
The hotel is in a good location, close to Temple Bar and the shops in Grafton Street.
There are some nice restaurants around and the Mercantile bar is nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from Dame Street
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Antibes, france
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We spent luckily only one night at this hotel. Surrounding is quite noisy, we used our travel earplugs to be able to sleep. Very old room and furnitures. It is more likely a hostel room rather than a hotel room, don't expect any luxury. Safe was already locked! We paid way too much for his poor room. I think it is too expensive for its condition, we had to get drunk to sleep!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple